U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:30 PM

40 posts, read 102,246 times

Advertisements

Need your help!

My HOA payment is made once a year, and back in December of 2009, I had called my previous HOA mgmt company (ABC HOA Management) and left a message asking when I would receive my payment coupon. Weeks pass, and I called again, left a message with no response from ABC HOA. It is now March and I received a letter from Law Firm LLC saying that there is a lien against my property. I called ABC HOA several times and I finally got a hold of someone and was told me that my account was transferred to XYZ HOA in May 2009. When asked for their telephone number, I was told they did not know it.
I’m very disappointed about this whole situation that ABC HOA gave XYZ HOA the wrong mailing address and that no one at XYZ HOA tried to contact me after a return mail was sent or even looked at the Tax Assessor’s website for my current mailing address. What was once a $78 dollar per year fee due Jan 1st, late after 15 day fee is now $650 in three months?
Is there anything I can do?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 07:11 PM

458 posts, read 1,580,276 times
I hate HOAs.

Not that this helps in any way. You just reminded me.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 PM

2,038 posts, read 3,962,919 times
If I were in your shoes, I would try and track down XYZ's contact information through the attorney. Explain to XYZ that you have been diligently trying to make your payment and that this is a mistake that can be corrected. Chances are, you can rectify the situation. Try and keep your cool. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:54 PM

12,780 posts, read 25,575,860 times
$78 a year, you have the cheapest hoa in vegas.. its probably per month.. 78x4=312 plus fees yep about right

Old 04-06-2010, 09:09 PM

3,043 posts, read 10,957,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
$78 a year, you have the cheapest hoa in vegas.. its probably per month.. 78x4=312 plus fees yep about right
Maybe it was $78 per year, but the new HOA management company thought it was $78 per month, hence the lien.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:28 PM

8,875 posts, read 14,969,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Even $78 a month would be a deal if he lives in a condo development, would it not? It might be high for a house development depending on the amenities.

I pay nearly $30 per month for my HOA in Tucson (homes, not a condo) and we get nothing but common-area landscaping, periodic street sweeping, one tiny playground, and a Nazipatrol that sends you a letter when you have a weed in the front yard or a palm frond touching your cement block fence. No pool, no tennis courts, no parking lot, no garbage collection, no street lights (not allowed because of the nearby observatory). But looking at what non-HOA neighborhoods look like in Tucson, it's money well-spent.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:42 PM

15,756 posts, read 35,534,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Need your help!

My HOA payment is made once a year, and back in December of 2009, I had called my previous HOA mgmt company (ABC HOA Management) and left a message asking when I would receive my payment coupon. Weeks pass, and I called again, left a message with no response from ABC HOA. It is now March and I received a letter from Law Firm LLC saying that there is a lien against my property. I called ABC HOA several times and I finally got a hold of someone and was told me that my account was transferred to XYZ HOA in May 2009. When asked for their telephone number, I was told they did not know it.
I’m very disappointed about this whole situation that ABC HOA gave XYZ HOA the wrong mailing address and that no one at XYZ HOA tried to contact me after a return mail was sent or even looked at the Tax Assessor’s website for my current mailing address. What was once a $78 dollar per year fee due Jan 1st, late after 15 day fee is now $650 in three months?

Thanks.

take your case to the HOA board. Point out that - because of a screwup by their agent you were neither billed nor noticed on any of this. Check out the HOA docs...almost certainly some rules about notice and a right to a hearing.

It may do no good but it shows your good faith. It may do no good because the relationship is such with these colliection operations that they may not be able to correct your account without paying off the collection agency. They are likely unwilling to do that.

Next step is pay the bill. Then write a demand letter to the HOA for return of all the money but the basic fees. If they don't respond take them to small claims court. Pretty good shot you will get your money back and your court costs paid.

Make sure you understand the HOA docs...for instance I suppose you may have an arbitration clause or such.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:20 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,687,972 times
For all of you that have HOA's or on a HOA board you may find this website helpful:
HOA Loans and Condo Association Insurance l Get Quotes Now

Old 04-07-2010, 10:16 AM

144 posts, read 303,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Need your help!

Thanks.
I used to work for a property management for 15 years. Technically, it the homeowner's responsibility to pay the due with or without the monthly statement. However, you can easily go to your management company and work it out. If not, go to your next HOA meeting and talk to the Board of Directors (they are your neighbors) and work it out.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:40 AM

2,360 posts, read 2,781,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockproipi View Post
I used to work for a property management for 15 years. Technically, it the homeowner's responsibility to pay the due with or without the monthly statement. However, you can easily go to your management company and work it out. If not, go to your next HOA meeting and talk to the Board of Directors (they are your neighbors) and work it out.

Yep & that goes for any bill. Just call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas