Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:57 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhiker10 View Post
A good park for your dogs in the NW side is the Buckskin Cliff Shadows Park where they can roam in the desert.
Wherezat?

OK. I see it's where Cheyenne becomes Cliff Shadows, but how do you get to it?

Last edited by Buzz123; 04-13-2010 at 01:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 04:13 AM

182 posts, read 246,235 times
There is a park in the corner of Cheyenne on the other side of 215 where it meets Cliff Shadows Parkway. It is in front of the condo complex. There is also a small commercial center with a Tropical Smoothie store in the area. Parking is near the roundabout and you just hike pass the storm drain. There are trails in the area.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:36 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times
I've often wondered if that was a park or horseback riding place up there.

Looking at the picture you posted Jhiker, you can already see the groundwork done for the newest Summerlin community ready to come on line if and when the economy calls for it

Old 04-13-2010, 01:38 PM

19 posts, read 30,051 times
Wow again! This little? park is almost across the street from us. Since we are sort of on the dog thing still, do my dogs need to have their coats trimmed way down due to the heat? The Golden is a shorter curlier version but the Border Collies have that heavy double coat. And do you license your dogs? Since we live in the "country" here in KY, I have never bothered. They don't go off of our property.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:41 PM

19 posts, read 30,051 times
Oh, and are there wild animals around there? I have experience with coyotes buts thats about it.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivvers View Post
Wow again! This little? park is almost across the street from us. Since we are sort of on the dog thing still, do my dogs need to have their coats trimmed way down due to the heat? The Golden is a shorter curlier version but the Border Collies have that heavy double coat. And do you license your dogs? Since we live in the "country" here in KY, I have never bothered. They don't go off of our property.
You are in the City of Las Vegas which requires dog tags. Also has a leash law.

If you cross over the runoff basin at the dog park you will be in Clark County. In Clark County dogs can run free though you are required to be in "control" of them.

Dogs coats are pretty much immaterial. They don't cool that way. Their cooling mechanism is via respiraton. So they breath harder when warm. We had a long hair that loved to lay on the brick patio in direct 105 sunlight...They do need ready access to water however to be safe in high heat. When dog walking in heat we would carry a water bottle and a dog dish.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
I've often wondered if that was a park or horseback riding place up there.

Looking at the picture you posted Jhiker, you can already see the groundwork done for the newest Summerlin community ready to come on line if and when the economy calls for it
It says an Equestrian park on one of the signs and it has trails that goes around the hills.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Oh, and are there wild animals around there? I have experience with coyotes buts thats about it.
I have not seen any lately, too developed but I have seen a fox and a road runner a long time ago. Yes like the cartoon road runner hehehe. I used to hike this place when it was just desert, now it has been developed so much. It was a lot of open spaces back then and I used to fly a stunt kite in the area. Better chances of seing wildlife over at Red Springs and Red Rock Canyon area.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:27 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Up there in that part of town is still a lot of open desert, and it's right up against the foothills, so you'll see critters now and then. But you have more critters in general, as well as more species, where you are now than you'll find around here. You might get to see a Bobcat if you're lucky though. You probably also be glad to know that your dogs will never have fleas here, but don't take the flea collars off yet, because where you'll be living there will possibly be a few ticks that haven't been displaced by construction.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:01 PM

439 posts, read 959,161 times
Default Hot Coats and Coyotes

Quote:
Hello...we like you are heading to LV from Virginia. Lived in Tucson for over 3 years and I would have to challenge the comments about long hair and coyotes. I have double coated belgium sheetdog that was misrable in the heat. A trip to the local vet ended up having him shaved down to a close poodle model so he could breath properly and sleep at night...we had tile floors too. I would encourage you to check with your vet...ours stated very quickly the the fur had to go especially since our doggie was not young anymore. As for those pesky coyotes...be careful there too. Your Border Collies would not stand a chance against several coyotes. The ones we experienced in Tucson where the size of a small shepherd and they are very cleaver. Many stories there of them jumping shorter block fences and taking pets, even in broad daylight. I have a big bone German Shepherd that would love a coyote for lunch however we will still be keeping an eye out there for our smaller lab mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas