Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:21 AM

930 posts, read 1,817,536 times

Advertisements

I pay $100/month in summer for every week service and less in winter for every other week service. brushing tile, vacuum pool floor/steps, empty skimmer/pump drain baskets, check pool water ph and add what is necessary to maintain proper balance, skim off surface debris. Filter cleaning is extra charge when needed.

as far as fixed vs variable pump is concerned, I couldnt figure out what the main savings were because if you ran it at low speed , wouldn't you have to run it at least twice as long to filter the same amount of water as a fixed speed pump... so dont you end up using the electricity for a longer period of time even if it uses less while on? doesnt that negate some of the efficiency savings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 10:44 AM

901 posts, read 1,898,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
as far as fixed vs variable pump is concerned, I couldnt figure out what the main savings were because if you ran it at low speed , wouldn't you have to run it at least twice as long to filter the same amount of water as a fixed speed pump... so dont you end up using the electricity for a longer period of time even if it uses less while on? doesnt that negate some of the efficiency savings?
Half speed/flow does not equal half power power - it's on the order of a 90% power reduction (according to the video). Therefore, total power consumed on a given day will be a fraction of what a single speed would use, even though you're running it twice as long.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:01 AM

317 posts, read 1,003,057 times
is Las Vegas or Henderson or Sumerlin have some water usage limits ?

Old 04-13-2010, 05:24 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
The massive reduction in power consumed with a variable speed pump is due to lower friction between the water and pipes, since the water is moving slower, and (the big one) far less backpressure from the filter.

Cleaning a sand filter is probably included in maintenance, since all you have to do is backwash it. Cleaning a cartridge filter is probably not, because you have to hose off all the debris and dirt off the filter element, and then wash it in TSP or dishwasher detergent or filter cleaner (and possibly acid wash it too). Not sure about DE filters.

I figure my pool loses about 1/4" of water a day in the summer due to evaporation. For 450 square feet, that's roughly ten cubic feet, or 70 gallons. When I had a lawn, I was using 1200 gallons of water a day, so that 70 gallons is a tiny fraction of what I was using. Now, with no lawn, I use about 1/20th of that, so what evaporates off the pool every day is about equal to what I use each day for other purposes.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
When I had a lawn, ....
lawn <---- sqft ?

Thanks.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I agree the water cost isn't much, $10 a month or less and if you have a good cover, even less.

The bigger cost that I see that nobody ever considers is the cost of redoing pool decking, pool plaster, and pool tile. This may only be every 15 years or so, but I had to replace the pool tile and plaster a couple years ago and it was around $9500. I still have to redo the pool decking which is going to be around $6000. Even if it is every 15 years, that's a lot of money.
WOW !

Is it had some visible defect before you replace it ?

Old 04-13-2010, 08:51 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali :) View Post
WOW !

Is it had some visible defect before you replace it ?
The plaster spalls...that is comes off in pieces. It is pretty authoritive.

The cost listed is $50 per month. My pool is 22 years old and needs to be plastered...roughly 3500. My pool deck is just fine and appears good for another 10 years maybe more. So my cost are under $20 per month for refurb. .

Depends on who built the pool and how well they did. The electric cover also likely extends the life of the plaster and I maintain tile and such myself.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:25 PM

@olecapt

As far as I know pool condition do not include in regular Home Inspection so
where we can find professional pool inspection when time for this will come ?

Thanks !

Old 04-13-2010, 09:32 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali :) View Post
@olecapt

As far as I know pool condition do not include in regular Home Inspection so
where we can find professional pool inspection when time for this will come ?

Thanks !
Most inspectors will do it if the pool is operative. An additional fee.

If not use a pool guy. There are several around. If the pool is not operative I recommend my clients presume the worst. 5K to 20 K to fully restore.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
If the pool is not operative I recommend my clients presume the worst. .
"not operative"- its about most REO listings ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas