Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:31 PM

542 posts, read 986,557 times

Advertisements

So, in my Little A'le'in thread, Buzz123 gave me an idea for another thread.

I'm a day tripper. I like to take a day here and there and get on some great roads with twisties that lead to nowhere, or go see some sites that not very many people know about.

I've always wanted to go up to see the "shoe" tree up north......but it was cut down ....

I've heard the road between Pahrump and Death Valley is a great driving road, but I'll save that for cooler months.

So, lets hear em'. Where do you like to drive or sight see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 12:44 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Death Valley Junction CA....
Over the hump to PAH RUMPPPPP
take the left to Tecopa Hot Springs
Go up the Death Valley Hwy to DVJ.

Theres what appears to be a Motel....U SHAPED

Tiny restaurant on the left leg, rooms across the back and on the right leg....

The Amaragosa Valley Opera House....

Yep, you got it...a real honest to Gawd Desert Opra House....

I havent been in yhears but with Retirment pending that will be one of my FIRST trips...

It HAS to bee seen to be believed.

Way back in the Late 60's

Amargosa Opera House

Marta Beckett retired to the SW desert and bought the town of Death Valley Junction.

Over the years she and her husband Restored the old Amargosa Valley Opera house....filling it with the one thing it didnt have for years. An audience....they painted an elegant operahouse complete with an audience on the walls....and Every Saturday since then they have performed on the stage....her husband died but she continues on and will for as long as she can

The website has the schedule and in February will be the 45th year.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:49 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
I suggest starting with this book. Out From Las Vegas (http://www.spotteddogpress.com/spotteddogpress/Out_From_Las_Vegas.html - broken link)

and start reading this RJ column: Nevada's fall foliage offers extended view - Living - ReviewJournal.com

More of Margo's columns: Google

Old 09-12-2011, 03:37 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,318 times
I've been looking for great driving roads since I got here... there aren't any. there are good roads, but none that I would compare to the great driving roads we have in california or in colorado... even the dragon in TN was better than any roads out here, and that roads isn't as great as people say it is.

if you like outright speed, the desert is the place to be though... I had been building a car for the silver states challenge but had to scrap that idea on hard economic times. but I will drive that event some day.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Death Valley Junction CA....
Over the hump to PAH RUMPPPPP
take the left to Tecopa Hot Springs
Go up the Death Valley Hwy to DVJ.

Theres what appears to be a Motel....U SHAPED

Tiny restaurant on the left leg, rooms across the back and on the right leg....

The Amaragosa Valley Opera House....

Yep, you got it...a real honest to Gawd Desert Opra House....

I havent been in yhears but with Retirment pending that will be one of my FIRST trips...

It HAS to bee seen to be believed.

Way back in the Late 60's

Amargosa Opera House

Marta Beckett retired to the SW desert and bought the town of Death Valley Junction.

Over the years she and her husband Restored the old Amargosa Valley Opera house....filling it with the one thing it didnt have for years. An audience....they painted an elegant operahouse complete with an audience on the walls....and Every Saturday since then they have performed on the stage....her husband died but she continues on and will for as long as she can

The website has the schedule and in February will be the 45th year.
My wife interviewed Marta back in the late 70's or early 80's for a news story, and she was old then. But she's still at it I hear.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:57 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,424 times
How about Ft Irwin for the little known about Goldstone deep space complex?

NASA Goldstone Deep Space Communications Complex | Fort Irwin FMWR (http://fortirwinfmwr.com/2011/06/nasa-goldstone-deep-space-communications-complex/ - broken link)

Old 09-12-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
My wife interviewed Marta back in the late 70's or early 80's for a news story, and she was old then. But she's still at it I hear.
from what i understand, she now sings while seated because if her health....but she sings.....

I love wandering thru the Hotel with all the tromp l'oile paintings

Old 09-12-2011, 07:52 PM

If you're looking for curves, there won't be many nearby except for dirt roads maybe. Our roads are mostly built straight from here to there, unless driving up a mountain. Great Basin Nat'l Park is one. Or drive through the Angeles Nat'l Forest. Or take almost any road between U.S. 95 in Nevada and U.S 395 in California. Also, some of the roads in the Sierra are pretty challenging, but mostly those kinds of roads are more than a day trip away. More like a weekend trip.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:17 AM

437 posts, read 792,652 times
Canyon de Chelly, Az. You can thank me later.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:41 AM

and while youre there Monument Valley.....but neither are REALLY a day trip....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas