Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 8,493 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am planning on moving to Las Vegas this summer and I was interested in Urban Lofts on East Fremont St. I really liked them but I am nervous about the area. I was hoping to get some input from some of the locals. Are they going to be doing any work to that area? Is it really that bad? Thoughts?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Star
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 08:38 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,089,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star2463 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am planning on moving to Las Vegas this summer and I was interested in Urban Lofts on East Fremont St. I really liked them but I am nervous about the area. I was hoping to get some input from some of the locals. Are they going to be doing any work to that area? Is it really that bad? Thoughts?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Star
It is that bad...you can easily get robbed or killed there and will have to maintain good security to keep the unit safe.

Only for the very urban...and they should be very careful.

Consider Soho or the Parks neighborhood.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 8,493 times
Thanks for the info! Can you tell me where these are in proximity to the strip? I would like to be close.....

Old 04-21-2010, 09:28 PM

182 posts, read 244,891 times
The lofts are gated and they really look nice and even though the Mayor has cleaned Downtown quite a bit and has lit up the place well, the area is still a bit shady.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,255,806 times
More than a bit shady...it's one of the most dangerous areas of town. If you don't believe it, I have a ton of horror stories I could tell you.

Everybody thinks they need, or want to be close to the Strip. Actually you don't need to be, nor will you want to be. Las Vegas is easy to get around in from anyplace in town, so go for the nicest area you can afford. You may never have a problem, but the closer you are to downtown and/or the Strip the greater the potential for crime. The actual Strip, and the Fremont Street Experience are very safe, but the surrounding neighborhoods are old and old neighborhoods attract the low-life element. The further away you are from there the better, only not to the east or near north. Far north is OK, but SW, W, & NW are best.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:45 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,527,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
More than a bit shady...it's one of the most dangerous areas of town.

Everybody thinks they need, or want to be close to the Strip. Actually you don't need to be, nor will you want to be. Las Vegas is easy to get around in from anyplace in town, so go for the nicest area you can afford. You may never have a problem, but the closer you are to downtown and/or the Strip the greater the potential for crime. The actual Strip, and the Fremont Street Experience are very safe, but the surrounding neighborhoods are old and old neighborhoods attract the low-life element. The further away you are from there the better, only not to the east or near north. Far north is OK, but SW, W, & NW are best.
Old neighborhoods do not always attract low life elements. It depends on who is living there and how well they keep up their homes

I know some neighborhoods that are very old but very safe, beautiful and well-kept. Not in Vegas, either way Buzz just my two cents on your post

I will say that your post is true for the most part, old neighborhoods attracting low life elements

And to the OP, avoid East Fremont and North Las Vegas to about Craig Rd. Far North Las Vegas around East Centennial Pkwy, Aliante, among several other developments are pretty nice

May I also recommend Henderson too? Green Valley, Seven Hills, and Anthem are VERY nice with beautiful views of the city if you can afford it

Old 04-21-2010, 10:14 PM

228 posts, read 553,037 times
The Urban Lofts are really nice looking.

Location is the issue, as the others have already said:
East Fremont to the north
Carson to the south
11th to the west
Maryland to the east

Those boundaries pretty much make up the FAR eastern edge of the Fremont East District, which is an up-and-coming part of Downtown.
Some very nice/hip lounges and art spaces along that stretch of East Fremont but they're predominantly between LV Blvd/5th (to the west) and 8th (to the east).

The further east you go past 8th/9th- towards the Urban Lofts, in other words- it gets even more industrial and iffy.

A nice mix of people are moving into the different lofts in-and-around Downtown and really trying to create a strong arts/music community. But there is a long way to go.

As far as proximity to the Strip, from the Urban Lofts you can get to the northern end (Wynn, Palazzo, Fashion Show Mall, Treasure Island) in less than 15 minutes.

Last edited by healthpub; 04-21-2010 at 10:26 PM..

Old 04-21-2010, 10:22 PM

182 posts, read 244,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthpub View Post
The Urban Lofts are really nice looking.

Location is the issue, as the others have already said:
East Fremont to the north
Carson to the south
11th to the west
Maryland to the east

Those boundaries pretty much make up the FAR eastern edge of the Fremont East District, which is an up-and-coming part of Downtown.
Some very nice/hip lounges and art spaces along that stretch of East Fremont but predominantly between LV Blvd/5th (to the west) and 8th (to the east).

The further east you go past 8th/9th- towards the Urban Lofts, in other words- it gets even more industrial and iffy.

As far as proximity to the Strip, from the Urban Lofts you can get to the northern end (Wynn, Palazzo, Fashion Show Mall, Treasure Island) in less than 15 minutes.
Yes it is improving and has improved quite a bit compared to years past. All the new businesses moving in the area is turning Fremont East into a vibrant part of Dowtown. This coming First Friday Event for May a new hangout will be opening on Fremont Street East, the old Fremont Medical will transform into a gallery/cafe with burlesque type entertainment.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:32 PM

228 posts, read 553,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhiker10 View Post
Yes it is improving and has improved quite a bit compared to years past. All the new businesses moving in the area is turning Fremont East into a vibrant part of Dowtown. This coming First Friday Event for May a new hangout will be opening on Fremont Street East, the old Fremont Medical will transform into a gallery/cafe with burlesque type entertainment.
Yes, I'm really excited about the plans for the Fremont Medical space.
Thanks for mentioning that!

Old 04-21-2010, 11:46 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,255,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Old neighborhoods do not always attract low life elements. It depends on who is living there and how well they keep up their homes

I know some neighborhoods that are very old but very safe, beautiful and well-kept. Not in Vegas, either way Buzz just my two cents on your post

I will say that your post is true for the most part, old neighborhoods attracting low life elements

And to the OP, avoid East Fremont and North Las Vegas to about Craig Rd. Far North Las Vegas around East Centennial Pkwy, Aliante, among several other developments are pretty nice

May I also recommend Henderson too? Green Valley, Seven Hills, and Anthem are VERY nice with beautiful views of the city if you can afford it
Davie, I have lived here for 46 years and have not only watched every neighborhood in town over 20 years old go to seed, but I have lived in most of them, and have a lot of experience working downtown. On the other hand you don't even live here, you've only visited. Don't wish to argue, but just let you know that Las Vegas is different than other cities. What you say might make sense somewhere else, to a point, but not here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas