Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:21 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,438 times

Advertisements

Here's a sentence from my HOA's CC&Rs:
"No Owner shall permit or suffer anything to be done or kept upon the Community which will obstruct or interfere with the rights of other Owners or annoy them, nor commit or suffer any immoral or illegal act to be committed thereon.".

Isn't what's annoying and/or immoral a little subjective? My neighbor drives a non-convertible Gen-4 Mustang. That annoys me - why would anyone own that car in non-convertible form? Yeah, that's silly, but I have a point about such language...

Old 01-17-2011, 04:49 PM

Oh - the docs also state that "audible music" is not permitted in parks unless approved beforehand. I have to ask: Can it be considered "music" if it's not audible?

Who writes these things? There are also lots of grammatical errors and inappropriate uses of certain works such as "furthermore" and "although." It's hard to take these things seriously given the quality of the individual that must've written them.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:00 PM

699 posts, read 2,219,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
Oh - the docs also state that "audible music" is not permitted in parks unless approved beforehand. I have to ask: Can it be considered "music" if it's not audible?

Who writes these things? There are also lots of grammatical errors and inappropriate uses of certain works such as "furthermore" and "although." It's hard to take these things seriously given the quality of the individual that must've written them.
roflmao

Old 01-17-2011, 07:03 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,527 times
Quote:
"No Owner shall permit or suffer anything to be done or kept upon the Community which will obstruct or interfere with the rights of other Owners or annoy them, nor commit or suffer any immoral or illegal act to be committed thereon.".

Isn't what's annoying and/or immoral a little subjective? My neighbor drives a non-convertible Gen-4 Mustang. That annoys me - why would anyone own that car in non-convertible form? Yeah, that's silly, but I have a point about such language...
Go tell them you want the Mustang removed because it annoys you. Better to expose their idiocy now than when some half wit neighbor claims your new haircut is immoral.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:13 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,147 times
^^^^Be involved in your community. What you are complaning about can be amended if you join the board or at least be in good terms with the board of directors. Discuss it with the board members and fellow homeowners. Complaining about it here won't change anything!!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:48 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:

One of those eternal conundrums.

I know of a case where afternoon parties got out of control and we had fornication on a grand scale going in a backyard pool. Easily visible to the nearby neighbors.

I am not sure that fornication in a pool should be banned outright.

But without the general clause the HOA is powerless.

To some degree you need general and non-specific clauses to take care of that which is unthinkable. But does happen.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
^^^^Be involved in your community. What you are complaning about can be amended if you join the board or at least be in good terms with the board of directors. Discuss it with the board members and fellow homeowners. Complaining about it here won't change anything!!

Yeah, I'm seriously considering trying to join the board. We'll see. Maybe then I could also exert some pressure on the management company to reduce (or eliminate) the $10 service fee that they slap on if you want to pay the $40 HOA dues online!

Old 02-17-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
And I certainly won't. There are already enough cattle being herded around in communities with identical houses, cars, people and yards. I agree at the core it's completely voluntary to move into a HOA neighborhood. However, I get the sense that there are more than a handful of people who do read the HOA guidelines only to find out that the HOA's operate in a less than respectful/legal/relevant to the guidelines manner once they move in. Otherwise it's the owners own stupidity for buying into something that doesn't align with their values.
Something you failed to realise is that associations function well only as long as the homeowners are involved within their community. Homeowners are the ones electing the board of directors and they can also remove these board of directors if the association is not functioning well. Homeowners need to be active in their community if they want to get things done their way and not just rely on the board of directors.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:07 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
Something you failed to realise is that associations function well only as long as the homeowners are involved within their community. Homeowners are the ones electing the board of directors and they can also remove these board of directors if the association is not functioning well. Homeowners need to be active in their community if they want to get things done their way and not just rely on the board of directors.
Right, but it seems that most people like HOA's because they are a substitute to getting involved. If your neighbor is pissing you off you can go around him and tattle on him. Also, if a board member has an issue with you but everyone else likes said board member how do you proceed then? There's countless stories of people being singled out for either outright greed or personal vendettas.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Right, but it seems that most people like HOA's because they are a substitute to getting involved. If your neighbor is pissing you off you can go around him and tattle on him. Also, if a board member has an issue with you but everyone else likes said board member how do you proceed then? There's countless stories of people being singled out for either outright greed or personal vendettas.
A homeowner that cares for the community never gets in trouble with the board of directors and the community itself. A homeowner that causes problems are usually the ones that like to complain and worry about the board of directors.

Regarding board of directors, they can be taken out by homeowners. Board of directors refer to homeowners first before they can make any decisions. THEY DO NOT MAKE DECISIONS ON THEIR OWN. This is the reason why homeowners association hold meetings on a regular basis and it's very important for homeowners to attend these meetings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: