Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:55 PM

55 posts, read 250,947 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am thinking of moving to Summerlin, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good schools in that area, k-12? I know that Summerlin seems on the outside to be a very nice place, but I'm curious at how the schools are in that area. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 03:11 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangel View Post
Hi,
I am thinking of moving to Summerlin, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good schools in that area, k-12? I know that Summerlin seems on the outside to be a very nice place, but I'm curious at how the schools are in that area. Thanks.
About the same as any other school in the City of Las Vegas only the buildings themselves are newer than others in the city. Palo Verde is the only high school in Summerlin proper and it's had its fair share of "trouble"

Rogich and Becker MS are mediocre to pretty good and whatever ES you're looking at (Lummis, Staton, Givens, Bonner, Bryan, Ober) fair the same...mediocre to pretty good. Lummis has a history of being a bit above average (especially in Science) but that was in the past when it was pretty new, I don't know how their test scores and overall performance is currently.

CCSD as a whole rates mediocre to poor in everything academic across the board (and yes, that includes all those schools I mentioned for Summerlin) however, I put a bunch of kids through one or two of those schools at one time or another and didn't have a problem.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:38 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
About the same as any other school in the City of Las Vegas only the buildings themselves are newer than others in the city. Palo Verde is the only high school in Summerlin proper and it's had its fair share of "trouble"

Rogich and Becker MS are mediocre to pretty good and whatever ES you're looking at (Lummis, Staton, Givens, Bonner, Bryan, Ober) fair the same...mediocre to pretty good. Lummis has a history of being a bit above average (especially in Science) but that was in the past when it was pretty new, I don't know how their test scores and overall performance is currently.

CCSD as a whole rates mediocre to poor in everything academic across the board (and yes, that includes all those schools I mentioned for Summerlin) however, I put a bunch of kids through one or two of those schools at one time or another and didn't have a problem.
MomMon you are incorrect. The listed grade schools are in the top ten percent and are at vastly better than the median school. Rogich is about the top middle school and is again vastly better than the median.

PV is is reasonable far up but suffers a bit from over-crowding. Might consider the parochial schools or Meadows if you can deal with the cost. YOu can also go for the magnets...Advanced Tech is very good.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
MomMon you are incorrect. The listed grade schools are in the top ten percent and are at vastly better than the median school. Rogich is about the top middle school and is again vastly better than the median.

PV is is reasonable far up but suffers a bit from over-crowding. Might consider the parochial schools or Meadows if you can deal with the cost. YOu can also go for the magnets...Advanced Tech is very good.
Top Ten percent of what?

C'mon now there cap, I've had kids in some of those schools (and I know of still a few more in those schools), they are just as achieving/under achieving as most of the other CCSD schools, c'mon now, because they're in Summerlin they rank and achieve better? And Advanced Tech isn't even in Summerlin.

The people in Green Valley would argue with you, as would the folks in Centennial Hills, as would the folks in the Southwest...

Now, if you're talking private schools in Summerlin, then yes, I agree, there IS a more quality education with those schools. Meadows, Challenger (not in Summerlin but close), Faith Lutheran (not sure if Summerlin or not), Merryhill, all private schools in or very near Summerlin (as the OP stated), all with very high achievement rates and test scores...all VERY expensive.

Last edited by MomMom; 04-28-2010 at 03:57 PM..

Old 04-28-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Top Ten percent of what?

C'mon now there cap, I've had kids in some of those schools (and I know of still a few more in those schools), they are just as achieving/under achieving as most of the other CCSD schools, c'mon now, because they're in Summerlin they rank and achieve better? And Advanced Tech isn't even in Summerlin!

The people in Green Valley would argue with you, as would the folks in Centennial Hills, as would the folks in the Southwest...

Now, if you're talking private schools, then yes, I agree, there IS a more quality education with those schools. Meadows, Challenger (not in Summerlin but close), Faith Lutheran, Merryhill, all private schools, very high achievement rates and test scores...all VERY expensive.
Green Valley has equivalent schools but none better. Centennial Hills has a pair of very good schools but others are a little lower in the pecking order.

Actually there is no indication that the parochials schools do better than the upper CCSD high schools. And neither the PV,Centennial, Arbor View, Shadow Ridge set or the southeast equivalent approach the level of AD tech, the Community College High Schools or Meadows. Gorman fits right into the PV etal set.

There are reasonable ways to judge all this and they rank as more than adequate. The elementary and middle schools in fact get well up into the better US schools. The high schools are by design more homogeneous and rate less strongly.

But don't kid yourself. The upper 20 or 25% of the CCSD schools are quite adequate.

Now the bottom 25% are donwright awful.

This is the classical problem in big school systems. The top is pretty much always OK...but the bottom gets to be awful.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:49 PM

I am sorry, but not too up on all the abbreviations you guys listed above - could you tell me what these stand for ??
Rogich and Becker MS are mediocre to pretty good and whatever ES you're looking at
CCSD as a whole rates mediocre to poor
PV is is reasonable far up but suffers a bit from over-crowding.
Gorman fits right into the PV etal set.

The upper 20 or 25% of the CCSD schools are quite adequate.

I cannot afford private schools - so am trying to figure out exactly what schools in Summerlin ARE good (elementary through high school) and Which are the WORST you would NOT recommend ?

Thanks for the help in decoding those abbreviations, and informing me on this....

Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
MS = Middle School
ES = Elementary School
CCSD = Clark County School District
PV = Palo Verde High School
et al = Latin for "and others"

Old 04-28-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I am sorry, but not too up on all the abbreviations you guys listed above - could you tell me what these stand for ??
Rogich and Becker MS are mediocre to pretty good and whatever ES you're looking at

I cannot afford private schools - so am trying to figure out exactly what schools in Summerlin ARE good (elementary through high school) and Which are the WORST you would NOT recommend ?

Thanks for the help in decoding those abbreviations, and informing me on this....
MS is middle school, ES is elementary school

CCSD is Clark County School District

PV is Palo Verde High School, the only one in Summerlin

Are your kids in elementary school or middle school? There's only one high school in Summerlin, you might also be way in South Summerlin and be zoned for that high school on Buffalo Drive, geez, I forget the name of it

Old 04-28-2010, 06:00 PM

Thanks Mediocre for the decoding....
But to all of you in the know - could you still let me know - your advice on this:

I cannot afford private schools - so am trying to figure out exactly what schools in Summerlin ARE BEST (elementary through high school - please give me the names) and Which are the WORST you would NOT recommend ?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:

ES Elementary School K through 6
MS Middle school 7 throuh 9

There are no bad elementary schools in Summerlin. The best is probably Bonner. All the others are close.

Actually Rogich is the best or second best middle school in Las Vegas.

There is a cluster of regular high schools just below the top level. All of the top level schools are magnet schools. Magnet schools are special schools that draw their attendance from the entire city. Advanced Tech and the Las Vegas Academy (performing arts oriented) are the classics and there are three Community College High Schools that take only junior and seniors.

The cluster includes Palo Verde, Centennial, Arbor View, Shadow Ridge, Green Valley, Coronado, Silverado and a few others. Coronado is the best for demographic reasons but all are similar and adequate. Bishop Gorman the Catholic High School is academically similar to these schools.

Note that none of this is unusual. Summerlin has very rich demographics which inevitably leads to strong schools. The parents simply insist. True virtually everywhere. Even really lousey school systems like NYC have some great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas