U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 11:20 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,223,045 times

Advertisements

I know that Nevada is not doing too well.... Jobs are hard to come;and times are hard right now....However..I am seeking out recent transplants that have made the move from the east coast....Are you happy with your decision? Are you having a difficult time in Nevada? Do you wish you had stayed where you are... Please weigh in on this discussion... I need to hear from other people who have made the move...

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 PM

8,971 posts, read 12,983,705 times
My wife and I just moved here last month from the Washington, D.C. metro area and absolutely love it! We still feel like we are on an extended vacation rather than being permanent residents. The people here are friendly, the cost of living is lower, the scenery is beautiful, and there is no end to the entertainment possibilities. What's not to like?

However, even though we are both in our early 50s, we are both retired with monthly pensions and other investments, so income is not an issue and we are not seeking employment. So although we are recent east coast transplants, we may not be the demographic whose comments you are seeking.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:15 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,223,045 times
Thanks for your input....its appreciated.......Trying to weigh the pros vs. the cons of moving. Been on the east coast my whole life...Need a lifestyle change. I hear it's very affordable/cost of living is doable. Anything has gotta be better than North Carolina.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:52 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,109,327 times
Me and my girlfriend drove cross country from massachusetts last november. We both found jobs in under a month and are enjoying it out here.To be honest I do miss various people as well as the snow/woodsy areas at times.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 PM

236 posts, read 483,158 times
I currently live in NJ, but own a home in Las Vegas. I will be moving there permanently sometime in the next few years. I spend a lot of time in Vegas and absolutely love it. It feels more like home to me than does NJ, where I was born and raised.

I will definitely not miss NJ once I move. I hate cold and snow and the most ridiculous property taxes on the planet.

When I move, I will not be seeking employment. Although I'm only 41, I will be retiring. I would NOT move to Vegas right now if I needed to work.

I think a lot of people's happiness will depend on financial stability. If you move out here and can't find a job right away, the stress will make you miserable.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:55 PM

12,686 posts, read 33,425,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I know that Nevada is not doing too well.... Jobs are hard to come;and times are hard right now....However..I am seeking out recent transplants that have made the move from the east coast....Are you happy with your decision? Are you having a difficult time in Nevada? Do you wish you had stayed where you are... Please weigh in on this discussion... I need to hear from other people who have made the move...

Why? Are you trying to justify moving here ...or going back?

I moved here from the east coast but it was many years ago. I never felt I made a mistake, and I loved it here from day one. But for two or three years I continued to wish for what I had left behind, until I realized that what I had now was much better. At that point I became a Nevadan.

People from elsewhere look at the west in general, or Las Vegas in particular, and try to compare it to home. Sometimes they criticize everything about it, or they use the words, "That's not the way we did it in Ohio," ad nauseam. I was guilty of that when my company transferred me to live in Albuquerque for a while. I complained all the time when things weren't enough like Las Vegas. Then one of my employees said to me, "Maybe it isn't better or worse, maybe it's just different." After that I began to love it there too.

It takes some time to get used to a different way of life. Nevada is the 7th largest state. Outside of the immediate Las Vegas area, and the Reno area, which is over 400 miles from here, there are very few people, and what towns we have, with less than a dozen slight exceptions, are mostly just wide spots in the road.

Contrary to what people say, I haven't been here since the 1800's, but I have always suspected that all the freedoms we have here, that other states don't have, has more to do with geography than anything else. And, if a state east of the Rocky Mountains is home, one will not be used to such freedoms, or lack of restrictions, and it is an uncomfortable feeling for a while not being so overly regulated and regimented all the time. But when you eventually get used to all the things Nevada has to offer, you'll throw rocks at the eastern states.

And we didn't even get into the weather...

Old 04-29-2010, 03:12 PM

113 posts, read 281,060 times
IMHO...the weather is great,the people not so much.... Oh and the taxes are half of NY !

Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 PM

13,045 posts, read 11,672,152 times
I moved here from Silicon Valley. My wife is from New England, but spent the last 20 years in Silicon Valley, and now we are in Las Vegas. We love it. During the winter we stay in Park City UT for skiing for a few months. In the heat of the summer, we head back to Park City for a bit, too (mountain biking, fishing, etc).

Lots of people in the Las Vegas area are from someone else, so making friends is easy, too (unless you are a shut-in).

Old 05-01-2010, 12:02 AM

369 posts, read 710,144 times
Moved here in 2001 from rural PA. It took me a few years to get used to it and a few more to really like it. Even in the beginning though I was not going back. Some people love it right away some, like me it grows on you slowly. What helped is when we went from renting to our own home. We have a home in one of the equestrian sections so it has a more open rural space feeling I need yet close to the urban amenities my wife wants. I jest that we are 20 minutes from the strip and 20 minutes from nothing. In reality it's not that far from true. Come out, get off the strip and look around the whole valley. Find the a spot you like and look for the opportunities. The make an educated decision,

Old 05-01-2010, 03:47 AM

182 posts, read 211,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Me and my girlfriend drove cross country from massachusetts last november. We both found jobs in under a month and are enjoying it out here.To be honest I do miss various people as well as the snow/woodsy areas at times.
You can visit Mt Charleston if you want to see snow and towering pine trees. I like it during Spring, Summer and Fall. I stay away during the Winter season. Hahaha. My friend is from Boston, he loves it here and I used to live in New Jersey, having lived there for 2 months during the Winter season was enough for me to say I will never live in NJ again. I have relatives who've been in NJ for over 40 years and they like it. They own homes in Union and Edison.

Off and On the Vegas Strip

Last edited by Jhiker10; 05-01-2010 at 04:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas