Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,321 times

Advertisements

Ok...so I currently live in New England and it's definately time for a change. I'm open to several options, but Las Vegas is kind of calling. Can anyone tell me about some nice neighborhoods that are close to parks, a library, shopping, walking/jogging/hiking/biking trails that are also relatively safe. I plan to have kids soon so a good school district is important too. I don't know anything about Las Vegas so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 12:21 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,907,492 times
you lost it at the "good school district".. private school

Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,451,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGirl7 View Post
Ok...so I currently live in New England and it's definately time for a change. I'm open to several options, but Las Vegas is kind of calling. Can anyone tell me about some nice neighborhoods that are close to parks, a library, shopping, walking/jogging/hiking/biking trails that are also relatively safe. I plan to have kids soon so a good school district is important too. I don't know anything about Las Vegas so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Well, I can understand your wanting to leave New England behind...the weather mostly!

It will be a culture shock for you, moving here to Nevada, that's for sure. The georgraphy, landscape, plantings..quite different from your current location.

However, you might like it and appreciate the beauty of the Mojave desert.

Best advice to you, is to take a fact finding trip here first. Don't do the tourist thing if you come here to find facts, because the good time and party atmosphere you experienced on the Strip is not the way you would live normally. Living here is pretty much like living wherever you are from, with some different nuances of course.

Come and rent a car if you can, keep away from the tourist corridors and drive into the neighborhoods, away from the Strip in every direction. See the way our neighborhoods are laid out, see our shopping centers, places of worship, visit them. Make believe you are living here, if just for that short time while you are here.

You can check out Aliante in North Las Vegas, Summerlin, Green Valley, Henderson, Mountains Edge, Rhodes Ranch, Centennial...all beautiful areas located throughout the Las Vegas valley. There are even areas not located in those I just mentioned, that are just wonderful, it's impossible to explore every place in such a large valley unless you come here and explore for yourself. You'll KNOW, which areas and neighborhoods you like, but YOU have to see them in person.

Our schools may not be to your standards that you have in New England. Nevada schools typically rank real low in just about every category. Your kids will get the standard U.S. education here, but not all the bells and whistles that come with a highly rated, highly funded school district.

However, I put a bunch of kids through the Clark County School District here in Las Vegas...and I never had any problems.

Hope this helps, most of all good luck to you and the family.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:38 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,426,520 times
...And don't be expecting any covered bridges and Fall foliage.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:05 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,227,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGirl7 View Post
You really need to visit before you decide to pick up and move. Some people can't handle that radical change.

Take a four of five day visit. Stay at an off strip hotel and get out there. Drive out in the neighborhoods.

The library system is good. The school system (there is only one district) is ranked at or near bottom of the US pile, where those in New England states are near or at the top. The best schools in the valley are in the Northwest or Southeast.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:14 PM

681 posts, read 2,793,717 times
Sorry to hijack the thread from the OP, but how about opinions on areas to definately stay away from (i.e. areas of high crime rates, poor infrastructure etc --- away from the strip of course)?

Old 05-09-2010, 04:59 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,100,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
You really need to visit before you decide to pick up and move. Some people can't handle that radical change.

Take a four of five day visit. Stay at an off strip hotel and get out there. Drive out in the neighborhoods.

The library system is good. The school system (there is only one district) is ranked at or near bottom of the US pile, where those in New England states are near or at the top. The best schools in the valley are in the Northwest or Southeast.
Source of this purported low ranking?

How about a comparison to Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, Washington DC?

Old 05-09-2010, 06:58 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,331,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Well, I can understand your wanting to leave New England behind...the weather mostly!

It will be a culture shock for you, moving here to Nevada, that's for sure. The georgraphy, landscape, plantings..quite different from your current location.

However, you might like it and appreciate the beauty of the Mojave desert.

Best advice to you, is to take a fact finding trip here first. Don't do the tourist thing if you come here to find facts, because the good time and party atmosphere you experienced on the Strip is not the way you would live normally. Living here is pretty much like living wherever you are from, with some different nuances of course.

Come and rent a car if you can, keep away from the tourist corridors and drive into the neighborhoods, away from the Strip in every direction. See the way our neighborhoods are laid out, see our shopping centers, places of worship, visit them. Make believe you are living here, if just for that short time while you are here.

You can check out Aliante in North Las Vegas, Summerlin, Green Valley, Henderson, Mountains Edge, Rhodes Ranch, Centennial...all beautiful areas located throughout the Las Vegas valley. There are even areas not located in those I just mentioned, that are just wonderful, it's impossible to explore every place in such a large valley unless you come here and explore for yourself. You'll KNOW, which areas and neighborhoods you like, but YOU have to see them in person.

Our schools may not be to your standards that you have in New England. Nevada schools typically rank real low in just about every category. Your kids will get the standard U.S. education here, but not all the bells and whistles that come with a highly rated, highly funded school district.

However, I put a bunch of kids through the Clark County School District here in Las Vegas...and I never had any problems.

Hope this helps, most of all good luck to you and the family.
MomMom as usual is correct I'm here in the NW (89131) with my family (6-year old twins). Schools have been great as the kids are thriving, there are tons of parks within close proximity, some with water sprinklers during the hot days. We have the Centennial Hills YMCA right next to the library, both are fantastic.

Plenty of shopping nearby and lots of good restaurants.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:35 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,075,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Source of this purported low ranking?

How about a comparison to Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, Washington DC?
In large states public education will always be mediocre, for the same reason that in large kitchens the cooking is usually bad.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 05-09-2010, 10:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,100,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
In large states public education will always be mediocre, for the same reason that in large kitchens the cooking is usually bad.
Friedrich Nietzsche
That is mis-stated...more true of large schools systems but because the bad schools are really pretty awful. But the good schools are often quite good. In NYC you have Bronx High School of Science, Hunter College High, Stuyvesant and a half dozen other great high schools. The run along with some of the worst high schools in the US.

Las Vegas is quite good if you stay in the upper quarter or at least the upper half. Below that it gets pretty poor. Las vegas lacks the high end high schools...except for the magnets...but does maintain a homogenous and acceptable level across its better high schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas