Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 02:13 PM

112 posts, read 316,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Now that's a better way to ask your questions. The first question may not have been well thought out and a little naive, but even I like this post. I'll even give you the benefit for being so defensive. I get that way too, so don't want to be a complete hypocrite.

I hope you are getting the answers you're looking for. Keep in mind that most of us who bother to reply realize that there are 1000 people reading this to every 1 poster...maybe more...so most of our answers are directed to all of those Las Vegas bashers out there, not just the OP. So it's not really personal, and I hope you get to know Las Vegas and like it here. Some day you'll probably be one of us locals who are sensitive to the way we are perceived by the rest of the country. None of us ever thought we'd be in this position, even my friend, Forrest Duke, who coined the term TBCOTA way back when. (The Best City Of Them All)

Thank you, I am indeed getting some good answers. And thanks for being nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 02:14 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
See....you're the new kid so you have to sort thru everything to make some sense of it....kinda like...."When your're up to you axe in Horse#$%^....look for a pony

Old 05-13-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
See....you're the new kid so you have to sort thru everything to make some sense of it....kinda like...."When your're up to you axe in Horse#$%^....look for a pony
I'll let you know when that makes sense to me, lol.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:38 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylona View Post
I'll let you know when that makes sense to me, lol.
if anything on here makes sense...you been here too long.....

[to translate...ya gotta dig thru the H.S to find the good stuff]

Old 05-13-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
if anything on here makes sense...you been here too long.....

[to translate...ya gotta dig thru the H.S to find the good stuff]
Gotcha

Old 05-13-2010, 04:46 PM

113 posts, read 306,129 times
Default No Worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylona View Post
Touche'...I guess, lol. I sincerely apologize for my COMPLETEY FAR OUT AND UNHEARD OF misconceptions and any unintended insulting remark I have made. Sarcasm aside I really meant the apology. That said, I never insulted any of you PERSONALLY and I wish I could say the same of some of you.
You do not need to apologize,you asked a normal question for someone who was considering coming to this town.Anyone with childern should ask the same question and be concerned about moving here....

Old 05-13-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac88 View Post
You do not need to apologize,you asked a normal question for someone who was considering coming to this town.Anyone with childern should ask the same question and be concerned about moving here....
Thank you Bmac88, for saying so. I really appreciate that you did not read anything "extra" into my question.

This brings to mind a conversation I had with my son not too long ago. He and his sister were arguing. She claimed he stepped on her foot and it hurt a lot. He said he didn't think he actually stepped on her foot. She was crying. So I told him, "Son, If someone says you stepped on their foot, and you are not aware of stepping on their foot--and truly you may not have stepped on their foot-- its ok to just say sorry anyhow. Everybody feels better afterwards. and it's painless."

Old 05-13-2010, 06:55 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Default Just don't let them grow up to be cowboys...

Cowboys ain't easy to love and they're harder to hold. They'd rather give you a song than diamonds or gold. Lonestar belt buckles and old faded levis.
And each night begins a new day. If you don't understand him, and he don't die young, he'll probably just ride away.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Cowboys ain't easy to love and they're harder to hold. They'd rather give you a song than diamonds or gold. Lonestar belt buckles and old faded levis.
And each night begins a new day. If you don't understand him, and he don't die young, he'll probably just ride away.
Aw man. Now that song is stuck in my head.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:57 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I don't know where you are from, but I'll make you a bet that wherever it is there is more corruption or questionable behavior than you'll find among the locals in Las Vegas. If you now live in any large American city there is probably as much or more illegal gambling going on than legal gambling in Las Vegas. There is probably as much or more prostitution there too. "Sin" is not unique to Las Vegas. What is unique is that we acknowledge it and allow that which doesn't hurt anyone, and since it is out in the open, and not hidden as it is where you live, we, (the State of Nevada) are able to tax and regulate it so no harm is done.

I've lived other places too, so I know that wherever you now live in America, "Sin" goes on in the darkness, and by being hidden people there think it doesn't affect their own lives. But in order to keep it in the dark, more crimes are committed, and your kids are actually in more danger than they would be in a city like Las Vegas.
SO TRUE.

By the way, Buzz123 is my favorite poster on the Las Vegas forum, by far! Although tons of great posters on here.

I also strongly agree with this post as well. (I also think these kind of questions do come up with a troll-like frequency, so it is difficult to judge a person's intentions as legit or trollish, no disrespect to the original OP who seemed to be of the very well-intended variety).

I was just thinking....just in general...how many forums I've viewed where people talk about seeing a 'drug' in a school in NY or Miami or wherever, and than discourage all people from that city. I keep thinking how even my little town in MI where I went to school...only 30 graduating students...and I remember pot, shrooms, acid, mescaline, speed, etc....all being very popular with easy access. Whiskey was the preferred drink - which is interesting because as an adult I stay clear of hard alchol. WHY whiskey, you ask? Because all alcohol is for those who are 21-plus. So whiskey was easier to handle than a case of beer, and easier to conceal. Drugs were easier to get ahold of...and its all illegal anyways, so what difference does it make if it is beer or drugs anyways?...and there was LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE TO DO. Since its mostly young people in their peer groups...you seldom see the negative side of it, as it seems so 'cleaned up' from small town streets - its all 'in the house'. The people are doing the same things, one is just more hidden but just as existant as its rural, and one is all in the open as its urban.

Go to any large city, and you have more schools, extra classes, you can enroll your kids in karate, music classes, etc. They can see more city career-mindedness as opposed to just farmers and factory workers (like my hometown area of MI). They just SEE more...its hard to glamorize the 'drug addict' you see in a Hollywood movie...when you live in a real American city and see how scummy they are in real life.

I think any kid who is raised in a city has a much clearer and more realistic view of life and what it is, and what they need to do to live a good one.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 05-13-2010 at 11:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas