Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:59 AM

53 posts, read 78,422 times

Advertisements

I am 21 years old and i am looking at moving to Vegas, like everyone else on here. i know that unemployment is very bad but everyone keeps talking about hospitality type jobs. i am a Manager at a target store in Australia, and have 5 years previous retail experience before that.
How difficult would it be to get a similar type job over there? and how much does retail usually pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 01:07 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,863,243 times
i have 22 years management experience and would have to start at the bottom. $9 hr also , most companies here hire from within their own company.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:38 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,439,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacattack View Post
I am 21 years old and i am looking at moving to Vegas, like everyone else on here. i know that unemployment is very bad but everyone keeps talking about hospitality type jobs. i am a Manager at a target store in Australia, and have 5 years previous retail experience before that.
How difficult would it be to get a similar type job over there? and how much does retail usually pay?
Very low wages, $8.50 - $9.00 per hour, and it's usually part time with no benefits. Managers don't make that much more than that and you're also dealing with the some times part time vs. full time issue....

Assuming you are a resident of Australia and considering there are so many people here in Las Vegas already, ready to work and can't find a job, my opinion is that the odds of you landing ANY decent job here are not that good right now.

If you're thinking of making a career here in Las Vegas working in a Target or similiar retail type job, I'd stay in Australia if I were you...

However, you could try and ask for a transfer to an American store in Las Vegas from within Target corporate, if you want to try, no one is stopping you.

The glamour you've heard so much about that is Las Vegas is just that...what you "heard". Having a low paying job, being from a foreign country "culture shock" (assuming you are a native Aussie) and being so far away from every thing and everyone you've ever known...not good in these bad times and definately not glamorous.

Unless you already know someone here in Las Vegas who could help you, I'd say (my opinion only) you're better off staying where you are for now...at least wait for the LV economy to somewhat return to normal and hopefully more jobs become available.

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,977,348 times
I would doubt that Visa are obtainable.....Target Managers are really not in high demand and the position CAN sometimes be handled by an American...

Old 05-11-2010, 01:36 PM

762 posts, read 1,555,790 times
5 yrs is not "very experienced"
but great attitude, stay where you are until we get this fabulous place back in order. We have a lot of work to do.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:20 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,391,107 times
You can always wait on the line with the other 11,417 very experienced out-of-work applicants whenever an opening does occur, mate.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,221,704 times
Baloney. I've seen managers at a well known fast food restaurant here start out at $65,000 a year, and they had to be trained. I know. I put them in the program. The lowest starting was about $30,000. We have a manager of a grocery store in the family and she is paid very well. There is so much retail in Las Vegas I'd call it the retail capital of the world. We have some of the top shopping malls in the country. I think the Op needs to worry more about how to get a Green Card than where to find a job.

Most of our UI is in construction. They went from building 3,000 homes a month to almost zero in about six seconds. The service industry was next in layoffs, but not nearly as high as construction. Retail, as far as I can see, has had some loss of revenue, but whenever I go shopping it's still crowded, especially where there are tourists. Look at it this way...87% of the population in Las Vegas is working and spending everything they make like always.

Finding a job has the most to do with being in the right place at the right time, and being able to sell yourself.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:13 AM

540 posts, read 1,089,449 times
To the OP - I would contact your store's HR rep to see if it would be possible to transfer to a Vegas store. I used to work for Target stores and transferred several times. If there is an opening, the Vegas store would much rather take in a transfer than have to go through all the interviewing, etc to put in a new person. Keep in mind that there might not be any openings now until the holiday season starts around end of October.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:57 AM

15,370 posts, read 38,977,348 times
BUT transferring from australia to las Vegas is differant then transferring from Keokuk to Las Vegas.....[altho not much differant ]

Old 05-15-2010, 04:49 AM

53 posts, read 78,422 times
i have applied for my green card, and i know i'm not guaranteed to get one, by any means. And i wont be there for a few years anyway...
And i have been there before and i know that its not all the glitz and glamour that you see in the movies and stuff. that hasn't deterred me. i just really love it.
Target Australia and Target America are two separate companies, believe it or not! but i am looking into if there is any way to get a transfer.
and dynimagelv, no need to be so negative. i was only asking the question.

thanks to those who actually gave me constructive advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: