Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:13 PM

3 posts, read 9,393 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Vegas for over 20 years - never been bitten by a mosquito - nor have I seen one.... when I lived in upstate NY, I saw thousands every summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 12:58 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Crane flies are those GIANT meskitos that will carry off a small dawg.
But they don't bite like mosquitoes and are harmless ...except to small dawgs that they carry off.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:07 AM

152 posts, read 520,877 times
Sounds like some of those giant bugs on the movie called The Mist

Old 05-24-2010, 09:06 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'd always heard that the desert, and Vegas, have NO mosquitoes.

But, browsing around quite a bit...they certainly DO.

Just thought I'd open up a discussion...all things related and connected to mosquitoes and Southern Nevada!!

What's your opinion...mosquitoes and Las Vegas...?
When I was in Vegas back in March I didnt see a SINGLE insect. Florida is the bug capital of America. We have mosquitos and love bugs. Love Bugs were a University of Florida experiment gone horribly wrong. If anybody doesnt know what they are, love bugs are bugs that fly in pairs stuck to one another like they're in love. It is currently love bug season in Florida and peoples cars are splattered like crazy with them

As for mosquitos, I was eaten alive two nights ago hanging out at a park with my friends and Im still itchy. Won't miss the bugs when I get to Vegas

And to kimba, MI may have a ton of mosquitos, but it wont hold a candle to Florida

Old 05-24-2010, 10:16 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Love Bugs were a University of Florida experiment gone horribly wrong.
That's a very old urban legend, Davie.

snopes.com: Florida Love Bugs

Lovebug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-24-2010, 10:39 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I actually didn't know that until I got curious about lovebugs until I looked them up on Wikipedia, like 30 seconds after I made that post

Old 07-14-2012, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,316 times
I've been in Vegas visiting for a week now, and I have TWO mosquito bites. I didn't they they really existed here, so I started doing some online research, which led me to this site. I've got the annoying bites to prove they ARE here.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:21 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeilaGraves View Post
I've been in Vegas visiting for a week now, and I have TWO mosquito bites. I didn't they they really existed here, so I started doing some online research, which led me to this site. I've got the annoying bites to prove they ARE here.
Where were you when it happened, and did you see the mosquito that bit you? There may be an abandoned pool nearby. Has to be standing water for them to breed, and water doesn't normally last long enough for them to breed in the dry heat unless there is a lot of it. The reason I asked if you saw it is because you can get small spider bites and never see the little spidy that injected you.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:47 AM

24 posts, read 34,212 times
Never saw one in 9 years, but the only water near me was a pool that was maintained.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:41 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeilaGraves View Post
There certainly can be mosquitoes in Las Vegas. Quite rare though. I don't think I have been bitten in years. Requires some stagnant water which is reasonably hard to find in Las Vegas.

If you find one you are likely to find more...maybe a lot. Says there is a water source available.

Consider the spider bite as well. My wife and I develop a couple of small bites maybe once every couple of years. Distinctive bite with lots of itching and a raised center in a couple of days. Still don't know the source but suspect some sort of a spider. Showed a day old one to our primary physician who went to "got me" mode when asked what did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: