Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:27 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Truthfully, it is people like you with your bad attitude that makes me hope this country gets taken over by the offshore bankjng cartel. I see it, greed has taken over love and common sense. This world is downright evil anymore.
Yeah and damned the evil monopolistic corporations controlling the world. Hopefully soon the zombies attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 04:45 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
This thread is about IT positions and salary, not class warfare.
Sorry on this one. Since I do not have any relevant information regarding IT I should not have gotten in this thread.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:39 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,480 times
Quote:
I mean no disrespect, but if you are getting $40 an hour here I do not understand how you can even begin to post negative information. Remember, I make $9.50 an hour so I am entitled to do it since I am truly poor and have been my entire life. If you made $100 an hour in Montana you should already be a millionaire by now if you invested it right. Something is not adding up here IMO.

Look at it this way if you were making $18.00 an hour and all of a sudden your making $9.50 you would be struggling or close to bankruptcy even with a bank account. Let's face it the more you make the more you spend. Also we had money in the stock market and was wiped out because of two crashes. Do to clients not paying their accounts we had to dip into our life insurance and saving it's all gone. Especially since this recession(depression) has been going on for a little over two years.
We are older folks who have literally been wiped out, and you have to remember that the $40.00 an hour is not take home this is a business so we take allot less than that after expenses and self employment taxes.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:04 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
Look at it this way if you were making $18.00 an hour and all of a sudden your making $9.50 you would be struggling or close to bankruptcy even with a bank account. Let's face it the more you make the more you spend. Also we had money in the stock market and was wiped out because of two crashes. Do to clients not paying their accounts we had to dip into our life insurance and saving it's all gone. Especially since this recession(depression) has been going on for a little over two years.
We are older folks who have literally been wiped out, and you have to remember that the $40.00 an hour is not take home this is a business so we take allot less than that after expenses and self employment taxes.
It is interesting you ask that. When I left Phoenix in 2006 I was making $5000 a month, and that was take home. I had to have two jobs to do it, but still... I now make $1,300 a month take home pay in Vegas. Since I have always lived WELL below my means, my answer to your question would be no, I am not struggling even know I make way less than I did in Phoenix. When I was making $5,000 a month, $4,000 of it went directly into savings so I would be well prepared for my move to Vegas. By the way, I apologize on my tone to you in this thread. I thought you were saying you were struggling on $40-$50 an hour which I do not see how that could be possible.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:13 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
I think we should go back to ancient times where we trade goods and not money. Hell, it would get rid of the freeloaders at least.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
It is interesting you ask that. When I left Phoenix in 2006 I was making $5000 a month, and that was take home. I had to have two jobs to do it, but still... I now make $1,300 a month take home pay in Vegas. Since I have always lived WELL below my means, my answer to your question would be no, I am not struggling even know I make way less than I did in Phoenix. When I was making $5,000 a month, $4,000 of it went directly into savings so I would be well prepared for my move to Vegas. By the way, I apologize on my tone to you in this thread. I thought you were saying you were struggling on $40-$50 an hour which I do not see how that could be possible.
Not to worry no offense taken, unfortunately with blogs or emails sometimes people are taken wrong, and right now with the economy the way it is everyone is on edge. I admire you for being so fugal, I admit we should have been as well, your young and your generation didn't get as carried away as some of my generation did when it came to having material things.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:52 PM

18 posts, read 72,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceWannabe View Post
Harrah's has many IT positions opening but not for Microsoft Web Developer. Do you know Java, TIBCO, iSeries, Flash, or SDS? Anyway go take a look at harrah's web site.
Thanks for all of your responses so far, Im learning ALOT about the job market in Las Vegas, things I took for granted living in DC.

TIBCO and iSeries is a platform much like PeopleSoft.

My focus has been working with Microsoft technologies which is predominant.

Sounds like a rough place to be right now- Vegas

Old 05-23-2010, 01:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juni0rMemberr View Post

Thanks for all of your responses so far, Im learning ALOT about the job market in Las Vegas, things I took for granted living in DC.

TIBCO and iSeries is a platform much like PeopleSoft.

My focus has been working with Microsoft technologies which is predominant.

Sounds like a rough place to be right now- Vegas
I am an old techie...probably the senior one on this board. I started out loading the paper tape reader with the front panel switches if any of you can remember back that far.

The best IT jobs in Las Vegas are in Phoenix or CA. This is simply not much of a market and a lot of the best is highly specialized. As some one pointed out AS400 experience is useful here. There are some game guys. Some system and PC support people but basically a very weak IT market. And it is far worse with the recession.

So if you got a choice don't come here. Same thing goes for engineers and techs unless you have ties to some of the defense contractors at Creech/Nellis and the mysterious places.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:13 PM

123 posts, read 271,538 times
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk

Maybe they have a 'gambling' problem?

Old 05-24-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfirst View Post
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk

Maybe they have a 'gambling' problem?
No there is no gambling problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas