Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:16 PM

Location: Undisclosed location in the American desert Southwest
188 posts, read 482,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Spaceman View Post
And simplistic, on your part. As a self-employed single person with no children, I receive absolutely ZERO help from the government, while my taxes pay for other peoples' kids to go to school, foodstamps for all the idiots holding up the supermarket lines in front of me because they're either too stupid or too lazy to read the restrictions on their food stamp vouchers and then act surprised and stand there scratching their heads wondering if there's any way they can con the check-out clerk or store manager into approving their attempted restricted purchase, freeloaders on Section 8 whose scummy brats have three apparent talents; robbing convenience store patrons, spray-painting every available exterior surface within a mile of their rats nest, and starting house fires with their crack pipes.
Great post! I too am a single male who owns my own business. I have never recIeved anything from the govt and wouldnt want it if thu did. That is an awful mindset to have and a sure fire way for an unfulfilling life of failure. They contribute nothing to society and are sinking our country. For you that will say I don't know how tough it is, my answer to that is that I do know and then some. Ive slept in my car Many nights in the past, could only afford beans and tuna. But guess what I kept working, kept going to school and educating myself. I never stood in line like all these bums. They all need to get up off their butt and change their attitude. I have very little sympathy for people on welfare in this country. They have no idea how good they have it, they don't know what poverty is. They're the ones buying steaks with their wic. I'm the one buying beans to save money just out of habit. See the difference in mindset? Theyre the ones with 800 channels, I'm the one Without cable or satellite, because I read and listen to the radio. I try to keep educating myself instead of sitting on my butt.

What would they all do if all the productive people in society disappeared? Maybe these welfare leaches should read atlas shrugged, Although they won't because they're too lazy.

Anyway im typing on my phone so this is probably a little curt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 09:51 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Section 8, SNAP, TANF and Medicaid are the taxes that we pay to keep unrest from happening. You want to live in Mexico and pay for a private police force because the ones on the public dime can't afford shoes for the kids and are utterly corrupt? I don't.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaned View Post
Great post! I too am a single male who owns my own business. I have never recIeved anything from the govt and wouldnt want it if thu did. That is an awful mindset to have and a sure fire way for an unfulfilling life of failure. They contribute nothing to society and are sinking our country. For you that will say I don't know how tough it is, my answer to that is that I do know and then some. Ive slept in my car Many nights in the past, could only afford beans and tuna. But guess what I kept working, kept going to school and educating myself. I never stood in line like all these bums. They all need to get up off their butt and change their attitude. I have very little sympathy for people on welfare in this country. They have no idea how good they have it, they don't know what poverty is. They're the ones buying steaks with their wic. I'm the one buying beans to save money just out of habit. See the difference in mindset? Theyre the ones with 800 channels, I'm the one Without cable or satellite, because I read and listen to the radio. I try to keep educating myself instead of sitting on my butt.

What would they all do if all the productive people in society disappeared? Maybe these welfare leaches should read atlas shrugged, Although they won't because they're too lazy.

Anyway im typing on my phone so this is probably a little curt.
2 year old post, I doubt the person you are responding to is paying any atterntion right now.

Nita

Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 AM

419 posts, read 907,259 times
These are all well-intentioned programs that of course, get out-of-hand. They were always meant to be TEMPORARY. But there is little incentive to get off them, since the recipient would need to find a years worth of rent...so many just earn under the table, so they still qualify for payments.

Food stamps are the same way. It's a fair idea, help families so they don't starve, but it gets abused in so many ways. Over the holiday weekend, I was in a convenience store. Three young, apparently healthy males, all using food stamp cards, buy all kinds of expensive junk food, very expensive soda and deserts.
Anyone who's shopped at these stores knows how high-priced their food items are. Someone who was truly on a tight budget would NEVER choose these type of stores to buy food- ever!

But, when other taxpayers are footing the bill, who cares!

One young man couldn't get anything, as his card was empty. BTW, there are many jobs in my area, and plenty of discount grocery places like ALDI. Maybe things will improve after Nov 3.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:52 AM

579 posts, read 997,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am glad to hear that. I would hope for the same here. I make bottom of the barrel income myself, but pay all my bills on my own without any government help. I hope Nevada cuts these idiot losers off too.
I sure was surprised to see this two year old post in the thread.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:10 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Once you get a Section 8 voucher, you can take it with you wherever you want to go in the United States.

I live in California and I have personally seen people apply for Section 8 here and get approved here, then they move and take their vouchers to Las Vegas or Phoenix because there is abundant housing available in both cities.

Also, many investors have been buying the bank-owned homes in Las Vegas and Phoenix and renting them to Section 8 tenants. All you have to do is Google "Section 8, las vegas" and tons of listings pop up which state that a property is "Section 8 approved".

Old 05-31-2012, 12:29 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
Problem is they can't even come up with the security deposit

Old 05-31-2012, 12:37 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
Maybe things will improve after Nov 3.
Starving our way out of a depression has been tried before. It didn't work for Hoover. It won't work today.

Does that mean that I'm in favor of poor people gaming the system? Of course not. Some people are going to game the system not matter what system we have in place. (Incidentally, if the people who are strongly and vocally against welfare were ALSO strongly and vocally against corporate welfare, I'd have more respect for their position.)

And the date I think you're looking for is Jan. 20, 2013. But that's going to be the sequel to Jan. 20, 2009. I haven't read one plausible story charting a successful electoral road map for the Greedy Obstructionist Party.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:48 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPoker1 View Post
I sure was surprised to see this two year old post in the thread.
Although I do not feel as the same way about people on government aid anymore, the rest of that post still rings true today. I still have never been on government aid. I was on 26 weeks of unemployment which is paid by employers insurance. I did not transfer to federal benefits which is funded by taxpayers. I am strictly living on my savings. No food stamps, no section 8 housing, no medicaid, nothing.....

Old 05-31-2012, 01:09 PM

150 posts, read 427,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Although I do not feel as the same way about people on government aid anymore, the rest of that post still rings true today. I still have never been on government aid. I was on 26 weeks of unemployment which is paid by employers insurance. I did not transfer to federal benefits which is funded by taxpayers. I am strictly living on my savings. No food stamps, no section 8 housing, no medicaid, nothing.....
So because you weren't on gov't benefits that means every one shouldn't be also? lol very primitive way of thinking ,though very typical American attitude. If i remember correctly you do have a criminal record of sorts so should everyone have a criminal record.
I not trying to bust your chops or anything ,really, as retired law enforcement i am the most un liberal as there is , But i learned that a government has to take care of their people ,or like someone said my JOB as a cop would be much harder. Also section 8 is for people who work, so i am not against it. In nyc someone with a low income would not be able to live here but we need these low income workers. The ny lawyers and doctors need someone behind the counter at dunkin donuts so the section 8 program works. Alot of elderlies on it. I myself was a substitute teacher and qualified for food stamps 2 yrs ago , am i a loser? Happens to be i wasnt able to get unemployment as a substitute teacher but i certainly do FEEL i was owed for the service i provide. Let me state that everyone pays taxes and even the poor and unemployed pay at one time or another. Gov't programs are a way the gov't gives back. I am all for that. Otherwise our federal gov't would be useless. If you qualify for a gov't program and you do not take it and you actually need it then you are imho an idiot. It means you produce for society and pay part to the gov't and expect nothing in return. But in my opionion most people who say they do not want anything from gov't are liars. They use police,fire and roads ,lol.

Last edited by observer53; 05-31-2012 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Edited to properly display quoted post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: