Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:10 PM

47 posts, read 233,914 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Has anyone on this forum got their teaching credentials with the Clark County School District via the ARL process? If so, what was your experience with it?

I am considering doing this (I have a bachelor's in computer science) i want to teach elementary special ed. Just looking forward to hear about experiences that others have had with this program. Thx in advance for all responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:26 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,242,871 times
Have you contacted the ARL department with the district? I don't have first hand experience, but I know several people who have gone through the process. It's a tremendous amount of work. You will have to take your prerequisite credits in education to qualify as a sub. Once you are accepted by the ARL program, you will work as a long term sub in the classroom (at substitute teacher pay, which is somewhere around 100 bucks a day). Then you will be in class from about 4-8PM weekdays and all day Saturdays. I don't know how long the process takes, but I think it can take up to two years. The district can give you the particulars about that.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 PM

Default Arl

wow..that's sounds hectic! I spoke with the Arl coordinator and she mentioned abt 1 semester of intense training. I din't get to talk to her in detail though. Thanks for the response and if you get any further info..please keep it coming

Old 05-25-2010, 12:29 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,242,871 times
Just keep your chin up and I think it's rad that you decided to work with kids! Sounds like you've got the right stuff!

It takes a lot of heart.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:38 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
They're still doing the ARL program after laying staff off?

Old 05-25-2010, 05:08 PM

yep..they have critical teacher shortage in secondary science, math and k-12 special ed

Old 05-27-2010, 02:53 PM

18 posts, read 147,937 times
The person who gave the info above is basically 100 percent wrong. I am currently going through the ARL process with CCSD to get a K-12 Special Education Generalist license.

You need to apply and get accepted to the program whenever they have enough need to justify running one. Once accepted, you need to pass the Praxis 1 exam for reading, writing, and math. Then, you do 120 hours of CCSD taught intensive training held over a 10 week period and 30 hours of in-class observations. All of this is unpaid.

Once you complete that, you start your coursework at UNLV, which you have to pay for. Once you have a certain number of credits at UNLV (9), you are eligible to be hired by CCSD as a special education teacher, starting as soon as the fall in charge of your own classroom. You are not guaranteed a job, it is based on need by the school district. You aren't a long term sub or paid as one, you're a first year teacher with the same contract other first year teachers who were licensed traditionally get. While working as a 1st year teacher, you're also attending school at night at UNLV to get a certain number of credits that are mandated to get your license. You must then teach in CCSD for 3 years and receive 5 satisfactory evaluations over that time before your license transitions from a provisional emergency license to a normal license.

It is a lot of work with the CCSD sessions and the UNLV classes as well as teaching, but for those of us who are passionate about this, it's very worth it. Good luck if you choose to go this route!

Old 06-03-2010, 04:08 PM

Default ccsd Arl

thanks for the info newvegasguy.

Could you please answer a few more questions for me?

I'm still debating about my capacity to handle this juggling with family and kids. So it helps me to make a decision either way.

1> About 120 hrs of ccsd taught intensive training : I know that the classes are typically held during evening. Is it required to sub or get classroom experience in the morning? Given an option i would sit and study at home/get a head start on unlv classes. Is it possible?

2> If i get hired after completing 9 credits at unlv, can i take further classes only during summer..instead of working & taking classes..as i have 3 years to finish my course work?

3>Lastly..what degree will i be awarded ? is it Masters in special ed?

thanks for your time.I truely appreciate it

Old 06-08-2010, 11:34 AM

18 posts, read 147,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali74 View Post
thanks for the info newvegasguy.

Could you please answer a few more questions for me?

I'm still debating about my capacity to handle this juggling with family and kids. So it helps me to make a decision either way.

At least 1/2 of my group if not more are people with families and children and they are able to juggle it. It's not easy, but it's definitely possible.

1> About 120 hrs of ccsd taught intensive training : I know that the classes are typically held during evening. Is it required to sub or get classroom experience in the morning? Given an option i would sit and study at home/get a head start on unlv classes. Is it possible?

The 120 hours of CCSD training is held in the evenings, for us it was 4:30 to 8:30 pm from Tuesday through Thursday for 10 weeks. You also have to do 15 hours of classroom observations during this time period. These obviously have to be done during the normal school day. You observe three different types of classes, so the minimum you can do it in is 3 days of 5 hours a day.

2> If i get hired after completing 9 credits at unlv, can i take further classes only during summer..instead of working & taking classes..as i have 3 years to finish my course work?

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is no, but you'd have to call and ask someone at the ARL office. From my understanding, and what I've experienced, everyone in your ARL group takes the same classes at the same times on a set schedule. It's pretty hectic (we are taking 5 classes this summer alone), but you can get through it if you take it one step at a time and work hard. Again, from what I've experienced, the UNLV schedule is pretty rigid and you take the classes when they tell you to take them.

3>Lastly..what degree will i be awarded ? is it Masters in special ed?

Yes, a Masters in Special Education. My group started UNLV classes last month and everyone who successfully completes all the coursework will get their Master's degrees next summer.

thanks for your time.I truely appreciate it
No problem. We actually just got an email. CCSD is going to run another ARL group starting this August, so if you are interested, go to the CCSD website and fill out the interest form there. Best of luck and feel free to send me a PM if you have any more questions.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 13,686 times
Hello NewVegasGuy can you answer a couple of questions?

1) how many credits did you have to take at UNLV total? I know a regular program in Education plus a Masters is 32+

2) how long did it take?

3) If I take the classes at night as they scheduled me to do so, will I be going to school every night?
Thank you for your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas