Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 AM
IKY IKY started this thread

2 posts, read 5,491 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is temporarily renting a room in a home in Las Vegas until I get there in July. Shortly after he moved in, the owner told him that things were not working out in that situation. Since my boyfriend's car had not yet arrived, he let the owner know that he would look for a place as soon as he got his car.

This morning, my boyfriend notified the owner that he as found a place and will be moving on Thursday. The owner threatened to sue for 6 months of rent because he did not give 30 days notice. When my boyfriend mentioned that it was he, the owner that told him it was not working out, the owner said that it would be considered hearsay in court.

My boyfriend did not sign any lease agreement. All he has is a handwritten receipt from books you can at Office Max that mentions giving 30 days notice.

Can he really be sued? I say not but want to be sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKY View Post
My boyfriend is temporarily renting a room in a home in Las Vegas until I get there in July. Shortly after he moved in, the owner told him that things were not working out in that situation. Since my boyfriend's car had not yet arrived, he let the owner know that he would look for a place as soon as he got his car.

This morning, my boyfriend notified the owner that he as found a place and will be moving on Thursday. The owner threatened to sue for 6 months of rent because he did not give 30 days notice. When my boyfriend mentioned that it was he, the owner that told him it was not working out, the owner said that it would be considered hearsay in court.

My boyfriend did not sign any lease agreement. All he has is a handwritten receipt from books you can at Office Max that mentions giving 30 days notice.

Anyone can sue for almost anything. The probability here is very low and the damages would be nothing to very small. If it is as stated tell him to move and forget about it until he gets actual notice of an action. 98% liklihood that will never occur.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:36 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
the guy renting the room just sounds like some lowlife. Suing for 6 months rent? where does the 6 months come from and who's to say how much the rent is without a lease. I'd invite the guy to sue me if I was your boyfriend... especially with no lease. Hello counter-suit.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
As olecapt mentioned, anyone can sue or be sued for almost anything, regardless of how frivoloous the lawsuit. (As an example, a lawyer in D.C. sued a dry cleaner for $54,000,000 because he claimed they lost his pants.) That said, I seriously doubt that your boyfriend has anything to worry about. Especially since he didn't even sign a lease.

BTW, on a related matter, the homeowner apparently doesn't understand the meaning of the word "hearsay." What you have described would not be considered hearsay in any court of law and your boyfriend's statement of what the homeowner told him would be completely admissable. If the owner then claims that he didn't make the statement, it would be up to the judge to determine who he believes is lying and who is telling the truth.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:21 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
tell the LL to whizz up the nearest rope.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:33 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Anyone can sue for almost anything. The probability here is very low and the damages would be nothing to very small. If it is as stated tell him to move and forget about it until he gets actual notice of an action. 98% likelihood that will never occur.
dynimagelv Tell the LL to whizz up the nearest rope.

The two most definitive answers.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:39 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
dynimagelv Tell the LL to whizz up the nearest rope.

The two most definitive answers.
dyns was better than mine...by a rope at least.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:36 AM
IKY IKY started this thread

2 posts, read 5,491 times
Thanks everyone, for your responses which expressed my exact sentiments. I told my boyfriend to move out and stay in a hotel for a few nights just to get away from that guy as no further conversation with him was necessary.

Appreciate your confirmations!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:

I AM NOT A LAWYER BUT I PLAY ONE ON THE INTERNET

Absent a lease, your boyfriend is a month to month tenant and can leave with 30 days notice. That is the law in almost every state and I assume in Nevada. That said can he be sued? Anybody can be sued for anything. But if he shows up to court and tells the judge there was no lease it will be tossed out.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:36 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,038 times
Quote:

Anybody can be sued.
But unless your BF's landlord has something on paper,it probably won't go anywhere.Your BF should move out immediately and get in contact w/ Legal Aid or an attorney and explore his options.

This is why I tell people never to rent rooms from people. Unless your credit is REALLY jacked up, ALWAYS move into a rented house and apartment or an efficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas