Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:37 AM

6 posts, read 36,296 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are potentially moving to the Las Vegas area in the fall, and have heard good things about Rhodes Ranch. Is it a good place to live? Any info would be greatly appreciated! I've also heard Mountains Edge is pretty good too. True?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 08:54 AM

932 posts, read 2,335,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernsmith View Post
My husband and I are potentially moving to the Las Vegas area in the fall, and have heard good things about Rhodes Ranch. Is it a good place to live? Any info would be greatly appreciated! I've also heard Mountains Edge is pretty good too. True?
There are many definitions of "pretty good." Mountains Edge has been hit hard by foreclosures, and much of the development that was scheduled there hasn't taken place. It also could be considered remote geographically depending on where you work or spend your time away from home.

That said, there are plenty of nice homes there, and the prices have dropped noticeably, as they have throughout the valley. You almost certainly could find some excellent deals there.

I'm not as familiar with Rhodes Ranch, which is just north of Mountains Edge, although I know it's guard-gated. I'm sure other posters can weigh in more knowledgeably about it than I can.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:37 PM

40 posts, read 108,837 times
Rhodes Ranch is really nice, when you first enter the guard gate you will be wowed. I've considered moving there myself, however it is pretty remote from the amenities that I would like.

Pros:
Plush entrance, very green inside.
Guard Gate (Anyone could get in), but still nice.
HOA is cheaper than other similar type guard gated communities
Club House is nice (Racketball, Pools, Nice Waterparks for kids, Tennis, Workout room)
Close to the 215 highway.

Cons:
-Remote for me, far from my work, and parks.
-If you play tennis a lot, i heard you have to schedule in advance to play, and only 4 courts. No nice parks nearby.
- Jogging trail is short (For me)
-Not a master plan like Summerlin. In Summerlin, you really could live, play, and work there. You would never have to leave Summerlin, there is even a hospital, it might as well be a little city and everything there is nicely landscaped.
- New Henderson is nice, lots of parks, most within a mile from where ever you live in Henderson.

If my job was near Rhodes Ranch, I might move there, but between Rhodes & Summerlin, for me Summerlin hands down.

Places I would look at:
Summerlin (North, West & South)
Green Valley Ranch
Anthem
7 Hills
SunRidge area (SouthFork, Mc Donald highlands)
Skip Mt. Edge, although it is cheap, but there is a reason why it's cheap.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:40 PM

6 posts, read 36,296 times
Thanks--that helps!

Old 05-27-2010, 07:08 PM

53 posts, read 204,287 times
I live in Rhodes Ranch. Overall I think it is a great place to live. I actually think the location is very good. You are very close to the 215, and the airport. You can get to most parts of town relatively quickly. We have 2 hospitals very close (st rose san martin, southern hills). I would agree that the southwest part of town is not as developed as henderson or summerlin:

Pros:
Good location, close to summerlin and Henderson
aesthetically nice surroundings
guard gate (although as stated before anyone can get in)
very nice community center
relatively affordable

Cons:
Not nearly as high end as other guard gated golf communities (anthem cc, red rock cc, queensridge etc)
Lack of restaurant variety
SW part of town has lots of undeveloped land, businesses that are going under

If you were to compare it to Mountains Edge (where we also looked), I would say Rhodes Ranch is overall much better community experience with better amenities (although some of the houses at Mountains Edge are very nice)

good luck!

Old 12-07-2010, 11:08 PM

11 posts, read 30,003 times
I would be careful. I have lived in Rhodes Ranch and have loved it for 8 years but the HOA is run by some people that are out of control. The HOA has security doing speed radar and issuing fines in the mail for $10 every mile an hour over 25. If you go 32 you get hit with $70. I agree that speeding should be controlled but the radar is being done by unqualified security guards. Las Vegas Metro's officers must be certified by law to operate a radar gun. For some reason Rhodes HOA feels they don't have to be certified because it is private roads. The Osbudmans office in Las Vegas disagrees so complaints are coming to them. Meanwhile the HOA is collecting thousands a month for fines.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:13 PM

11 posts, read 30,003 times
In my opinion I do not want a Unqualified secuirty guard doing radar, I would rather have them put the speed bumps back in. Those work well. We use to have them but were taken out years ago because Jim Rhodes did not like them. The HOA said it was because of the fire department but I and numerous others have checked with them and they say they do not care about speed bumps.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:31 AM

6,357 posts, read 11,800,590 times
Lots of value in Rhodes Ranch compared to Summerlin. Price per sq ft is lower and I think you'd find on average the area is nicer than much of Summerlin outside of the highest cost areas. Location is hard to beat, unless you have a job in Summerlin or Downtown you'll probably have a shorter commute from RR. I looked and put in bids for foreclosures in Summerlin and didn't even consider RR until my realtor suggested it. After that it was no contest, the value is at RR and eventually got one. Only thing is you do pay for it at $120/month or so in HOA.

Retail in the area is not that bad, there is plenty of basic needs close by and Town Square and the Outlets are an easy drive. Jobs aren't there in big numbers yet, but give it 10 years and a lot of people will be working on the Beltway frontage roads nearby.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 5,181 times
Default Do not move to rhodes ranch

Rhodes Ranch has gone downhill horribly! The pictures online do not relay what it is like to live here! The HOA are incompetent BIG TIME bullies that will never stop giving you grief. The place is over run with low income housing now. The recreation areas are not enjoyable. they are FULL of ghetto gangster want to be children destroying property and beating up other children. You will have to protect your children at the bus stop from bullies. It is not worth the extra money!!!! It is as ghetto as North Town!

If you do have a problem, the HOA will NEVER be open to discuss resolutions with you- EVEN IF YOU ARE THE ACCUSED. They are famous for throwing around accusations, fines, and threatening to call the police on you if you try to work the made up problem out with them. You can behave in the utmost professional manner and they will still gang up to intimidate and threaten you. You can completely right and innocent, and they will not care. They have handed out $15,000 fines for clean, birthday parties that they did not approve, and all kinds of insanity! You can be a great citizen and a contributing member of the community, but it will not matter. They are cruel and predatory people.

DO NOT MOVE TO RHODES RANCH. YOU WILL SUFFER. YOU WILL BE SO DISAPPOINTED THAT YOU SPENT THE EXTRA MONEY ON A FACADE. SAVE YOURSELF THE GRIEF!!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2017, 12:40 PM

6,662 posts, read 3,286,342 times
Wow, that's scary if it's really that bad. Sounds like the HOA Nazis from hell.

I've only played golf there a bunch of times and like the course. It can be a little expensive depending on when you play, but overall the course is in nice condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas