Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 03:06 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times

Advertisements

The Grand Canyon is my most favorite National Park of them all...that title used to be Yellowstone National Park but was eclipsed once I looked down over the edge at the Grand Canyon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 09:52 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
same with me...i can sit in one spot all day and watch the place change

Old 05-30-2010, 02:03 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The only thing wrong with this thread is we are into the old -

"Got three days to do the USA".

"Should I stop in Las Vegas?"

"Is three hours enough?"
Actually we're taking 10 days to get from Baltimore to LA but we also have stops in West Virginia, Illinois, maybe Missouri (if we decide on the state fair), Kansas, Colorado, and We'll be generally following Interstate 70 and US Highway 40 as they both go from Maryland all the way to Utah (well 40 actually starts in Atlantic City NJ while 70 does start here in Baltimore.) We also do plan for 2 nights in California to see the beaches, Hollywood, Beverly Hills etc. Arches is pretty close to 70 which is why it stuck out and everyone recognizes the arches from the Utah license plates.

I've been to both Zion and Bryce Canyon before in a separate trip a long time ago as a kid when I had family out west, we drove from Boise down to Las Vegas and back and stopped at those parks and the Grand Canyon but my friends I'm going with haven't been to Utah nor Nevada before.

Driving back we actually do plan on doing 3 days, first night in eastern New Mexico, 2nd night in Arkansas and 3rd night back home. One of my friends from college did drive to Las Vegas in 3 days when he moved there, he and his brother took turns driving. He didn't stay in Nevada long before moving back, said the desert wasn't for him. But then others do like the desert over plains and forests or humid weather, guess its where you grow up and are used to.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:56 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Reminds me of one time I was at the Grand Canyon...Guy from Gnu Jusey pulls in...him wife 3 kids...walks up to the rim...looks down...says "It's Big Hole in the Ground...so what..." Gets in his Caddiliak and drives away....
I lived and worked at the Grand Canyon, South Rim, for a year.

The AVERAGE tourist looks at the Grand Canyon for about 10 minutes than gets back on the tour bus, or the car, and moves on.

It's ridiculous, but true.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

The AVERAGE tourist looks at the Grand Canyon for about 10 minutes than gets back on the tour bus, or the car, and moves on.

That must have been cool to work in a national park!

I've been to the Grand Canyon before , both the North and South Rim as well as Zion (the main part) and Bryce Canyon. We're actually probably going to have to skip Arches/Canyonlands in exchange for an extra day in Colorado instead in the Rockies going to Pikes peak, the Vail area and Colorado Springs, completely different desert vs. mountains. However we're now pretty sure we're going to Red Rock Valley, in our second day in Vegas if we're not all hungover and not going ot the Grand Canyon, or on the way out toward California. We're probably going to drive that 13 mile loop and maybe do some hiking. For the other poster I do know 10 days is kinda fast going across but some of my buddies have time restraints, initially the plan was 14 days with 2 nights in Las Vegas plus extra days in Missouri, Colorado, and Utah. We're also skipping the Missouri state fair for Vegas...some folks probably will be like duh but really there's nothing that screams all-American more than a Midwestern state fair since we do live on the East Coast unfortunately. But i've been to local fairs in the south so 2 nights in Vegas is fine just hope I don't lose too much playing roulette....the 50/50 odds are very deceiving and a lot of people overbet after the first couple rounds.

We're probably staying at Stratosphere or Caesars Palace. I do have to say Vegas is much friendlier and nicer than Atlantic City. That place was an overpriced dump and not just the tourists but even the employees were very rude and unfriendly, I was actually scoffed by an employee for not knowing there were that many entrances to the parking garage.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 AM

Actually speaking of the all-American experience, has anyone been to Toby Keith's I Love this Bar and Grill restaurant/buffet/club in Harrah's. That seems real cool, we're all huge fans of Toby Keith and his music and have seen him in concert several tiems in Baltimore. Definitely hope to try it out and compare the authenticity of the theme vs honky tonk places I've been to in Virginia and Texas.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:16 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
I'd suggest you just enjoy what's in front of your eyes. Try to do too much and you won't have time to enjoy any of it. I've lived in the west for 46 years, and I haven't seen it all even though I've tried. You can't expect to do that much in a ten day cross country trip.

I'd stick close to the interstate and not make too many time consuming side trips. If you really want to go to the fair, do it. Just save at least three days for Las Vegas. It will be the highlight of your trip.

You'll see a lot of fantastic scenery on I-70 coming over the Rockies without going out of your way. Archie's NP is doable, but not the world's best National Park if you just want to hurry through it. Moab is sort of an experience best enjoyed in a relaxed way. Taking the time to do the famous Slick Rock Trail on Mt. Bikes would be something you guys would talk about for a long time, but only if you have the time...and the skill, then the guts. BTW: Pike's Peak is a long ways out of your way. I don't see it as that interesting myself.

Coming down I-15 out of Cedar City, 20 miles south, you'll pass a part of Zion National Park that few ever see, but which is an easy stop along the way, and a really beautiful part of the park. Good place to take an easy hike and stretch your legs. Or a difficult hike if you want. Scenic Southern Utah: National Parks : Kolob Canyons (http://www.scenicsouthernutah.com/national_parks/kolob_canyons.shtml - broken link)

You'll pass through the magnificent Virgin River Gorge on I-15 just before you get to Mesquite, NV, and that might satisfy some of your desires to see a canyon up close and personal.

On the way back home it sounds like you'll be taking I-40 through AZ and NM, so you'll be able to stop at the Grand Canyon. Even if you've seen it before, it never gets boring, and it sounds like your friends haven't seen it. Every American should.

In New Mexico you'll pass El Morro National Monument. I can't recommend it enough. It gives me goose bumps. El Morro National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Lots of scenic and interesting stuff in New Mexico, and if you want to take a great side trip, go up to Santa Fe, the oldest city in the U.S., unless you believe them Floridians. Santa Fe is another place all Americans should visit, and learn about. Besides, they have the best restaurants in the country there, and the third largest art market in the U.S. outside of New York and Chicago. Of seven museums there, one is in the oldest continuously used public building in the country, the Palace of the Governors, built in 1610. It's where the Indians hang out to sell their jewelry.Google Image Result for http://www.willwatson.net/images/PalaceOfTheGovernors,%20reduced%20for%20Web.jpg

You won't have to backtrack either, because you can continue on I-25 toward Las Vegas, New Mexico, and take U.S. 84 back down to I-40. That's all very scenic.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I've hiked and camped all over the place at the Grand Canyon and still haven't seen it all. We even drove 61 miles of dirt washboard road to Toroweap to camp. It's the only place you can see the river from the edge. Grand Canyon National Park - Toroweap/Tuweep Area (U.S. National Park Service)

But the best hike we ever took was to Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the canyon where we spent the night in barracks. It still hurts to remember how sore that hike made us. Has to be booked about a year in advance. http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging-704.html

I'd say IMHO the top four parks are Yellowstone, Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, and Zion, but you have to hike the back country to really get an appreciation (I've never been to Glacier, although my wife has and she wasn't blown away)(Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite may be the most beautiful hike http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuolumne_Meadows).

Old 06-07-2010, 04:19 PM

Buzz, thanks for the info on Kolob that definitely looks like a possible stop. Going back we're hoping to actually take part of old Route 66 and see some of the historic towns like Winslow, Holbrook, Seligman, and Tucumcari and stay at one of the famous old motels along 66.

Now west of Vegas, anyone been to Mojave National Preserve and the Kelso dunes? That would be on the way between Las Vegas and the Los Angeles area.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:23 PM

A late friend of mine was a professional photographer. His reason for living in Las Vegas was proximity to other great (and photographic) places such as New Mexico.

For locals as well as our visitors that are looking for a getaway or side trip out of Vegas, take a look at the photo tours on this site. It starts on Santa Fe (with music - watch sound). For others click the various icons.

New Mexico Photo Tour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: