Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 06:30 AM

64 posts, read 180,682 times

Advertisements

We have two 80lbs labs and just have a few questions. If you own any large breed dog, please chime in.

Do they enjoy pooping on dirt? This might be an adjustment but I figured they would be fine.

Is it a pain in the ass to clean up? I figured it would dry fast and be no problem.

Do you have fake grass and do they do their business there?

If you have a pool, do you have a fence around it?

Do pools come with stairs or ladders generally?

Do you ever leave them outside? Winter and night? Our dogs require more activety than we can sometimes give them so we leave them outside during the day but I know that is not an option in the summer. I'm sure the nights aren't too bad, just want some feedback on that.

Our dogs are like the "Marley and Me" dog. Complete and utter idiots when it comes to water so they will kill themselves given the opportunity to get in water. We haven't nailed down a house yet, but our #1 pick has a large grass park RIGHT across the street and it has a decent pool with NO fence. We will probably have one installed anyways because we have a little kid that will be walking soon.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 06:52 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBuford View Post
We have two 80lbs labs and just have a few questions. If you own any large breed dog, please chime in.

Do they enjoy pooping on dirt? This might be an adjustment but I figured they would be fine.

Is it a pain in the ass to clean up? I figured it would dry fast and be no problem.

Do you have fake grass and do they do their business there?

If you have a pool, do you have a fence around it?

Do pools come with stairs or ladders generally?

Do you ever leave them outside? Winter and night? Our dogs require more activety than we can sometimes give them so we leave them outside during the day but I know that is not an option in the summer. I'm sure the nights aren't too bad, just want some feedback on that.

Our dogs are like the "Marley and Me" dog. Complete and utter idiots when it comes to water so they will kill themselves given the opportunity to get in water. We haven't nailed down a house yet, but our #1 pick has a large grass park RIGHT across the street and it has a decent pool with NO fence. We will probably have one installed anyways because we have a little kid that will be walking soon.

Thanks!
Dogs...including Labs...have no problem with the heat. They don't even notice. If you give them water and shade they could care less.

Virtually all pools have stairs. Should not be an issue with labs who can climb ladders and such. Mostly healthy labs don't need no frigging steps.

I suspect if you give the dogs access for a couple of days with tight supervision it will work out. Even dumb dogs are pretty smart.

Take care of the kid first. Dogs don't drown easy. Kids do. I would never be secure in a house with a pool until the kids are all drown proof. You can do that with any kid over a year.

Sure they can fall, hit their heads and drown. So can you. When is the last time you panicked walking past a pool?

Old 05-30-2010, 11:02 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I own 2 GSP's and I used to own a chocolate lab. There are lots of labs in Vegas. In the summer when it's really hot, I let mine out when they want to go and if I'm out, they are out with me As long as there is shade and water, they will be OK as long as you are OK. I walk the dogs or let them stay outside in the evenings or early mornings.

Yes, they will poop on dirt/rocks just fine and it is easy to pick up. It does dry out very fast.

I have a pool with no fence because I have no kids. The yard is walled to keep the dogs in. The dogs swim year round. They don't care if it's cold or hot, they are in the pool. At first I worried about them finding the way out but no problem, they know exactly where to get out. They prefer the stairs but they will climb the rock waterfall to the spa too. My biggest problem is having wet dogs all the time. And if I send them out to dry, it's just a matter of minutes before one or both of them are back in the pool.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:03 PM

109 posts, read 312,269 times
I have a black lab and rocks in my backyard. He was born in Las Vegas, so all he knows is pooping on rocks. I keep my dog inside at night. My daughter was home schooled so she let him in and out duing the day. Make sure you have plenty of water and shade for your dog. On Very Very hot days keep him inside.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:45 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
how did you get your dogs to swim? did they just jump in? mine will go to the beach entry stick the paws in and thats it...

Old 06-04-2010, 06:24 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,837,108 times
Throw them in and they will swim.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:46 AM

64 posts, read 180,682 times
Basically what he said. I just threw my labs in the community pool at my old apartment (i know i know). Then I stepped up to the local lake, and now, they are diving into anything that has water, regardless of the situation around them (ie: vacation to Croatia, they jumped off a "cliff" into the water with no real way to get back to dry land. I had both labs pawing at me and scratching me bad to get them back to dry land. It was scary because rescuing two 80lbs labs is labor intensive for sure).

Thank you so much for the info so far.

Do you have to clean your pools more often with them swimming in it?

Is shedding a problem there since Winter is so mild? Right now, we are brushing them daily to keep ahead of the hair but if you know labs, they shed regardless of how much brushing you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: