Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:53 PM

383 posts, read 900,912 times

Advertisements

I will be moving up to LV next week and need to open a bank account. Does anyone have any recommendations for a bank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 07:59 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
I personally go to Wells Fargo.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/

I have been with them for years and never have had a problem with them. Avoid Bank of America like the plague. They are a scam bank.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/index.jsp

Old 05-30-2010, 08:06 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,243 times
I like doing business with smaller, regional banks and credit unions. Member credit unions are non profit which ultimately results in lower fees and interest rates.

Check out Nevada Federal CU.

Nevada State Bank is one I would consider as well.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:18 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,633 times
Bank of America, have branches everywhere. Second choice would be Nevada Federal Credit Union.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:19 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
YOu may have problems with the out of country bit.

so I would try Nevada State Bank. That is where I bank...but I do not take non us clients there as they are nutso about the security stuff.

General view if you end up with any of the non-local problems is BofA. I don't like them otherwise but you may find them helpful on the transistion back in.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:30 PM

383 posts, read 900,912 times
Yes, I figured I might have a problem since I have been in Costa Rica so long. My last account in the states was actually at B of A in California. I think the last time i used it was like 7 years ago. I am hoping with a letter of employment opening an account should be easier. I have a SS # and no criminal record just not much of a paper trail.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:43 PM

422 posts, read 1,084,537 times
I use and recommend Nevada Federal Credit Union. The only problem with NFCU is they only have a few locations with 'live' tellers. If you're going to have direct payroll deposits, that shouldn't be a problem. However, you can make deposits in their ATMs and if you don't have immediate funds available, you can have the deposit verified by employee in satellite branch and they'll make funds available immediately if depositing cash. I dislike both B of A and Wells.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:19 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Avoid Bank of America like the plague. They are a scam bank.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/index.jsp
Just curious why you say that, LVD. I've been with them for years and never had any problems. In fact, I've had nothing but exceptional service. And like Kalbo said, they have branches and ATMs all over the country, which I like because I travel a lot.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:39 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Just curious why you say that, LVD. I've been with them for years and never had any problems. In fact, I've had nothing but exceptional service. And like Kalbo said, they have branches and ATMs all over the country, which I like because I travel a lot.
They screwed me out of a lot of money. First off, they lost a deposited check of mine that was THEIR fault. They issued a temporary credit on it. Then, they took it off without even telling me which caused me $200 in overdraft fees. I fought with them to no avail. I told them just to close the account. They informed me if I did not pay their $200 ransom that they would make so I could not get a bank account ANY where else for 7 years. I ended up having to pay it. Wells Fargo has been the opposite. They have never lost checks, charged me overdraft fees, etc. Wells Fargo also has tons of branches and ATM's everywhere just like B of A. Others tend to agree on city data that Wells Fargo is the better bank of the two:

//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...argo-bank.html

Old 05-30-2010, 09:42 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
They screwed me out of a lot of money. First off, they lost a deposited check of mine that was THEIR fault. They issued a temporary credit on it. Then, they took it off without even telling me which cause me $200 in overdraft fees. I fought with them to no avail. I told them just to close the account. They informed me if I did not pay their $200 ransom that they would make so I could not get a bank account ANY where else for 7 years. I ended up having to pay it. Wells Fargo has been the opposite. They have never lost checks, charged me overdraft fees, etc. Wells Fargo also has tons of branches and ATM's everywhere just like B of A. Others tend to agree on city data that Wells Fargo is the better bank of the two:

//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...argo-bank.html
You are working the wrong problem. CRG is returning from a long stint outside the country. Many banks will not handle that well. BofA has a rep for being able to deal with that with minimal problems.

That there are better banks may well be true. But make sure you are addressing GCRs problem...not yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas