Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:28 AM

98 posts, read 542,504 times

Advertisements

I'm closing on my new house next week. The pool "looks" okay, no cracks. It appears to be concrete (but then I know nothing about pools). The house was built in 1963 and I assume the pool is original.
I was thinking that it would be a good idea to have it resurfaced/coated since it is empty and I hope to never have to empty it again. Then again, since the pool has no coating (that I can see), maybe adding a coating would be a bad idea.

I saw a similar house in another part of town (roughly the same age) where it was evident that the pool leaked into the ground, the yard smelled like sewage and the house foundation had serious problems (rising).
This house and yard show no signs of having had this type of problem and the "google map" photo shows the pool full as do the last sales listing photos (2007)

I'm a do-it-yourselfer and don't want to spend a lot of money. I had thought that I would give it a good power washing and maybe a scrub down with oxyclean (less toxic than TSP), and then just fill it.

Should I go ahead and just fill it as is once it's clean? I was thinking of having a couple of pool contractors look at it, but I don't want to waste money or have work done that I'll later regret (like bubbling paint).
Attached Thumbnails
First time Pool Owner (empty pool)-pool.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 07:10 AM

69 posts, read 237,534 times
The pool should have been inspected with the home inspection. Did they say anything about it?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:19 AM

REO/ No Inspection.

I know enough about construction, wiring, plumbing, foundations, roofing, etc to do my own inspection so I am confident that the house and mechanicals are in good condition.
Bidding was hot and heavy, the only reason I got this house is because I waived inspection, am paying cash, and could close quickly. (The bank put in on the market for 1 week only.)

The price was so good that it would still be worth it if I have to spend a few thousand on the pool (I got it for $15-$20K less than recent sales of similar sized homes in the nearby area, and it's basically in move in condition with all appliances...)

Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winknod View Post
REO/ No Inspection.

I know enough about construction, wiring, plumbing, foundations, roofing, etc to do my own inspection so I am confident that the house and mechanicals are in good condition.
Bidding was hot and heavy, the only reason I got this house is because I waived inspection, am paying cash, and could close quickly. (The bank put in on the market for 1 week only.)

The price was so good that it would still be worth it if I have to spend a few thousand on the pool (I got it for $15-$20K less than recent sales of similar sized homes in the nearby area, and it's basically in move in condition with all appliances...)
For those who get into this situation that was a mistake.

One may be asked to waive the inspection contingency on a REO. That is the buyers choice. But one should still get it inspected. For $400 you have a much better look at what you are getting into. And you may want to consider bailing out even though you lose your EMD.

This guy may be competent to do his own inspection. But it is actually rare. Unless you been in the trades a long time you don't know the right stuff.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:36 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,139 times
Looks in pretty good shape to me but I would still have those contractors look at it. You have to ask yourself why it's empty and who emptied it? Is the motor working? Is the filter in good shape? Leaks also don't just come from cracks on the walls. My pool leaked at the beginning of this year and the leak turned out to be coming from the bottom drain (it drained itself completely in 4 days). I was lucky that I found a guy who did a small repair for a couple hundred bucks instead of replaicing the whole thing for four thousand. My bottom drain doesn't work anymore but the water gets circulated by the other holes just fine.

If you have the money to spend, you should just go ahead and resurface it.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:43 AM

I have been in the trades for a long time and have owned several homes over the past 20 years. Just no pool experience.
I trust my own experience over that of someone who took a home inspection class.

I appreciate your comment, and for most people, yes a home inspection is a must.

The house was worth the price even without the pool, since I intended to add a pool it's existence is a big plus even if it cost a lot in repairs because I don't need to pull permits and have the hole dug, etc.

I got your DM, I'll contact Steve.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
That pool looks like it needs replastering - or you can get a different surface, like Pebble-tec or 3m Colorquartz. Do a search to find out other's experiences with those alternative surfaces. Pool plaster is cleaned with muriatic acid - it's called an "acid wash".

Old 06-04-2010, 02:26 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
yes, it definitely looks like it needs work.. you should have had the inspection.. i think you are going to spend more than a "couple thousand" on the pool alone...probably closer to 5 or 6k.. how old is the equipment. you could always break it up and bury it

Old 06-04-2010, 04:16 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
yes, it definitely looks like it needs work.. you should have had the inspection.. i think you are going to spend more than a "couple thousand" on the pool alone...probably closer to 5 or 6k.. how old is the equipment. you could always break it up and bury it

Break it up and bury it??? He said he wanted a pool. Why would anyone destroy something that costs more than $30,000 bucks to have installed?

Old 06-04-2010, 04:18 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,373 times
I like that pool. It's nice to see a pool thats more than 5 or 6 feet deep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas