Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 01:39 PM

69 posts, read 237,462 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if anyone knows of a good home inspector for our new home purchase. It is in Sunrise Manor area.

Or if you know bad ones, let me know that too.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 02:10 PM

26 posts, read 152,970 times
I don't usually go out of my way to give referrals for fear that they may not be happy with the service and it'd be my reputation on the line. But without hesitation, I'd have to refer who I used for my recent home inspections (twice!).

Bill W.G. Thomas
FYI Inspections Inc.

Hands down, probably the best money I spent on a home purchase (maybe even including the house itself! ). Extremely informative, personable, a cool character, honest, completely detailed and thorough, and most importantly, not beholden to your real estate person. He'll give you the goods on a house, no holds barred. You'll know more about that house than anybody after he's done. I know it seems exagerrative, but I'm serious. We got very lucky insisting on using him. He may not have been cheaper than the our RE person was telling us to use, but he was comparable if not cheaper than all others we found online and other sources. This surprised us after using him because it was something we would have paid more for.

A quick story about our experience. Finally got an offer accepted on an REO and came to inspection time. Got Bill Thomas to come in and told us what's what. Us being home buying newbs, he was very patient and went out of his way to explain how all kinds of things work and how they should be. The education alone was priceless. There was nothing horribly wrong with the house. But all the things here and there added up to just not feeling right. He respectfully didn't try and influence us either way. We made the decision and turned it down. Next house we got an offer accepted on he found to be in great condition. A few simple fixes here and there, and that was about it. Needless to say, we now live there. Couldn't have asked for a better inspector and experience.

Of course I have to say YMMV because nobody on Earth is perfect. But I am confident enough to post on here my recommendation and comments about our experience. Best of luck!

Old 06-04-2010, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 5,422 times
I just called Bill. Picked his brains and got some great information. Very reasonably priced although I haven't had him out yet. I am sure he will do a solid job. Like the poster above said, the education alone is priceless.

The construction quality in this town is absolutely horrendous. I would never touch anything without having every little thing inspected. Imagine the thousands of tract homes that went up in the past 10 years and how hurriedly they were put together and how poorly they were constructed. Don't pay for a job in full until you have it inspected, this town is full of extremely shi*ty work!

Old 06-05-2010, 07:16 AM

thanks I have already sent him an email.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:45 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,218 times
You may wish to see if the inspector is ASHI certified and check with Better Business bureau.
sk

Old 06-14-2010, 08:53 PM

I had Bill inspect our house last weekend.
I was pleasantly surprised at how in depth he was. And he explained everything in terms we could understand.
I would also highly recommend him.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 AM

458 posts, read 1,670,550 times
Thanks for this thread!

How soon can he make it out after you call him?

Old 06-15-2010, 08:31 AM

I think he is pretty open because I called Wed to schedule for the following weekend and he was avail. Tell him Terri sent you

Old 06-24-2010, 03:21 PM

458 posts, read 1,670,550 times
Okay, we've got an appointment with Bill on Saturday to inspect a home we are under contract to buy. I hope he's as good as everyone says! I can't find his name on the ASHI (American Society of Home Inspectors) website, does this matter? Is ASHI certification imporant?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:38 AM

367 posts, read 1,073,872 times
I just had Bill Thomas come and inspect my future home. It was a bit of an unusual situation, because I actually had two inspections, one earlier from another company - the main reason was I wanted a walk along and wasn't sure if I'd make it to the first company's visit. Secondly it's my first house and I wanted two inputs, even though I did have some thoughts about the extra money spent. Bill also made himself available on very short notice.

Bill was thorough beyond expectations, spotted things the other inspector passed, and also took the time to tell me how to address these things. All in all, Bill spent close to three hours on the inspection. I felt very confident after the inspection in knowing what I was getting into. It was worth every penny.

I can strongly recommend Bill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas