Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:19 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,126 times

Advertisements

"I leave for a week in Chicago at noon today, and my stupid human trick for that city will be to try and run the sears tower stairs "

Good luck!!

I read that Sears tower is 103 (!) stories and Stratosphere is 108(!!). Maybe I'll send the wife up the Stratosphere for fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 AM

208 posts, read 350,405 times
If they let me in the stairwell, I'll make it...I wont break any speed records,and I may puke on some business mans shoes somewhere around the 60th floor...but I'll make it

Old 06-06-2010, 10:50 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
I almost forgot. If you have a dog it's a great place for them to run too. Unless there's a douche bag up there like when I went. He freaked out because my 4 month old puppy jumped on his daughter to lick her face.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:15 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuse View Post
I hiked it a year ago almost to the day. I left my car at AM and was back to it by PM (...but I train for triathlons all year and hike a lot too). I wore shorts, a t-shirt and had a small day pack to carry water and sandwich's. I was very comfortable except for near the very peak...it was freezing. Probably would bring a windbreaker or warm hat or something if you want to enjoy the view...cause I spent about 30 seconds at the top, said "wow this is pretty..." and then practically ran for the tree line. But it was very warm most of the trip...so you gotta pick your poison. Just something else to watch for, I got a small dose of altitude sickness while up there. I felt fine but noticed my fingers were tingling...thought they were just cold so didn't pay any attention. finally looked at them at some point and they were all swelled up to twice their normal size...didnt bother me much, but I guess it can effect different people in different ways so you might want to briefly familiarize yourself with the possible symptoms in case you or your wife are susceptible to it. All in all a great hike and along with a night on Fremont (however you spell it) was the highlight of my trip to Vegas.

I leave for a week in Chicago at noon today, and my stupid human trick for that city will be to try and run the sears tower stairs
If you did Charleston Peak and back in 8 hrs, you are a runner for sure. The Las Vegas Track Club does it in very short time too. My best time to the top of the switchbacks was 4 hrs 45 minutes. Then we sometimes spent the night there.

Yes, there will be a lot of snow on top, and the last part of the trail may not be passable. You're right about staying on top, nobody lasts very long, especially since it is always super windy.

Altitude sickness is related to dehydration. Alcohol causes dehydration. So if you had anything to drink the night before it would be foolish to go up very high. It can kill you. Whether you drink or not, it's best to hyper-hydrate before you tackle the mountain. Drink a lot of water, then drink some more, and be sure to carry at least half a gallon with you. A gallon would be better. Food is much less important. Some high carb snacks is all you need. Eating and hiking is not good for you. And carry layers. You'll be very warm while hiking, but when you stop you can get hypothermia up there. Especially since you'll be wet from sweating.

I spent a very harry night at the meadow once before I learned about these things. We sat around our fire and drank apricot brandy. Dumb. Altitude sickness was bad. Shivered in my sleeping bag all night, and as soon as it started to get light we headed down. Once down I was all right. Not so lucky the next time. In Santa Fe at 12,000 feet I got so sick I was afraid I wouldn't die. Luckily I didn't, but it lasted all day even when they got me back to town. Of course, Santa Fe is over 7,000 feet. Sir Edmund Hillary gets it and has almost died several times. I can't even imagine being at the base camp on Everest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas