Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I would join, but it was a pain the ass enough filling out those forms for Albertsons, Vons, Smiths, and CVS cards

Ridiculous
Davie, you can buy in bulk and freeze. It is well worth the $50 membership.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:48 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I am not sure why you consider $1.8 million to $2.5 million affordable in today's economy.
just a bit of sarcasm.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:56 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Which is why it is so expensive. If California was cheap, everybody would move there in a heartbeat and the rest of the country would be pretty empty.
If the selfish Not-in-my-back-yard Nimby's along the SoCal coast would ever allow construction of Southern Florida style highrises along their precious coastline, moving to SoCal would be more affordable to any number of people wishing to live there. But it ain't gonna happen!

There's a great method to their madness: keep the shortest supply of housing to maintain their sky-high housing prices.

Las Vegas could have done the same here. Heavy restrictions on growth, and the average price of home here at a half-million.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:00 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
A few comments: Davie is only one guy, so doubt the membership fee at Costco would be worth it to him. The bulk items at Costco are even too large for just my wife and I, but we go anyway. Went today and enjoyed the veggie and milk coolers. Had Costco whole roasted chicken, tater salad, baked beans, and corn on da cob tonight. Ummmmmmmmmm. Thanks Costco.

Had an MI at a very young age, so became a runner to stay alive. Ran in Vegas on days like this without any problems. Tried to run in DC one time when it was about 90º/95% humidity and barely made it around the block before I had to quit.

Got old ....Gramps?...and now I don't like walking out to the car.

Weather Weenie = TV weather person.
News Weenie = Reporter.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:18 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
A few comments: Davie is only one guy, so doubt the membership fee at Costco would be worth it to him. The bulk items at Costco are even too large for just my wife and I, but we go anyway. Went today and enjoyed the veggie and milk coolers. Had Costco whole roasted chicken, tater salad, baked beans, and corn on da cob tonight. Ummmmmmmmmm. Thanks Costco.

Had an MI at a very young age, so became a runner to stay alive. Ran in Vegas on days like this without any problems. Tried to run in DC one time when it was about 90º/95% humidity and barely made it around the block before I had to quit.

Got old ....Gramps?...and now I don't like walking out to the car.

Weather Weenie = TV weather person.
News Weenie = Reporter.
My family used to visit Costco a lot when I was a kid. But there was both my parents, my, my sister, and my brother. There was 5 of us so at the time it made sense

Why would a single guy like me need a 55 gallon oil drum of mayonaise? Or a basketball sized jar of pickles? I'm not opening a deli lol

Old 06-06-2010, 08:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
My husband and I are only two. We break down and vacuum seal filet mignons from Costco. The meat is much better quality than we can buy at the local grocers and much more affordable. We do the same with lunch meats and cheeses for brown bagging.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:35 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
My husband and I are only two. We break down and vacuum seal fillet mignon from Costco. The meat is much better quality than we can buy at the local grocers and much more affordable. We do the same with lunch meats and cheeses for brown bagging.
The meat is really good. We load up and freeze. The puppies are extremely happy since their mom decided to start making their dog food.

Costco prepared food is really good too. The missus and I just decided that Costco tater salad is almost as good as hers. And the pork and beans in a big black plastic tub are the best.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:38 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinga View Post

I remember growing up in NYC when it was 90 out it was pure hell, all that humidity and heat together.
What always got me was when you would cross the street and the asphalt was starting to feel springy under your feet b/c it was so hot.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:41 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
The meat is really good. We load up and freeze. The puppies are extremely happy since their mom decided to start making their dog food.

Costco prepared food is really good too. The missus and I just decided that Costco tater salad is almost as good as hers. And the pork and beans in a big black plastic tub are the best.
I remember going as a kid and always enjoying their lemon poppy seed muffins. As far as meat goes, Albertson's is pretty good as well. Cant speak for Smith's or Vons' meats. Albertson's is top notch. Back when they had Albertson's in Florida (well they still do, but only 20 stores left sadly), my dad used to load up the freezer with their meats, mainly steaks

Maybe it would be worth it

So on TV today (getting back on topic) it officially hit 110 degrees today

Old 06-06-2010, 08:47 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The Admiral just walked the puppy dog around the block. Both came home happy.

we were showing property around noon. Hot but not uncomfortable. At one point there were about 8 of us standing in the street in an animated conversation about homes...lady drove by slowly looking at us like we were all nuts. But it was actually quite pleasant. We have gone to summer rules where we leave the car running while showing houses.

Note that this is the hot and dry time. In July it cools off a bit but the RH comes up more than enough to compensate.

OK this got me to thinking about parked vehicles. Just like you guys, we had a bit of a "heat wave" this weekend in Albuquerque - cooler than you, but hotter than the average (I think it hit a record high here - and out in my neck of the woods where it rarely gets to 90, we had 98 yesterday). So my vehicle was parked for 2 hours today (must have been in the 90s but I don't think we made 100 again today) while we took in a movie...I had the reflector in the windshield but forgot to drape the white towels over the side seats. When we came out, it was hot but we were able to get in and not burn ourselves.

I can imagine the problem is only worse in Las Vegas. I have factory tint on my van. I suppose I will need more when we get there. What else is there to do to help keep the interior of the car from melting? (and I say that only half-joking b/c I have seen what the sun can do to items left on the dashboard).

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas