Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:08 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
You been spreading that talk around to my dawgs haven't ya.....they seem to think that the PILLOWS are theirs and if we don't like it we can sleep in the floor
My dogs are my children...right up there with the two legged ones...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:36 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
My guess is your neighbors have no interest in dogs whatsoever and purchased the animals as low-cost burglar alarms. They probably bark a lot when someone enters the property (hoping to be rescued). Do you suspect there might be something in that house that needs to be protected other than the occupants and normal possessions?

I have never owned a dog in my life -- am not an animal lover by nature -- yet I would call what you describe "abuse." Maybe the dogs can get used to the heat, but sleeping on rocks?!? And they are also probably eaten alive with fleas. If the dogs aren't even trained, they probably don't have any other medical care either, so what is the neighbor providing except food and water? If it's not criminal, it should be.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:50 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
My guess is your neighbors have no interest in dogs whatsoever and purchased the animals as low-cost burglar alarms. They probably bark a lot when someone enters the property (hoping to be rescued). Do you suspect there might be something in that house that needs to be protected other than the occupants and normal possessions?

I have never owned a dog in my life -- am not an animal lover by nature -- yet I would call what you describe "abuse." Maybe the dogs can get used to the heat, but sleeping on rocks?!? And they are also probably eaten alive with fleas. If the dogs aren't even trained, they probably don't have any other medical care either, so what is the neighbor providing except food and water? If it's not criminal, it should be.
One thing dogs in Las Vegas don't have to worry about is getting fleas. They don't live in the desert.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:59 AM

151 posts, read 700,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
One thing dogs in Las Vegas don't have to worry about is getting fleas. They don't live in the desert.
what about ticks?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario826 View Post
what about ticks?
Not sure about ticks down here in the Valley. I think there are if you get into tall buffalo grass or something, but I've never seen one. I only heard of a dog that died of a tick bite that it supposedly got in the desert around Lamb & Charleston when that was still an undeveloped mesquite forest. But you can tell that was many, many years ago, and it was only anecdotal; I have no proof.

There are ticks in the mountains though, up where there are trees and more vegetation. It's cooler and wetter up in mountains, at least above 5,000 or 6,000 feet. You'd probably get them around the washes too, and especially the wetlands park in Henderson, where they actually have mosquitoes too. But I've hiked all over the place with dogs and they never got any ticks on them. There was a warning about Lyme Disease season at the library the other day, and I know it's been reported in the news that people have been treated for it here. Doesn't mean they caught it here though. There was a plague scare at Mt Charleston one time, but I think that's over.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:26 AM

Never heard of any chiggers here either. I used to get those in the worst of all places when I had to be in the woods back east. The treatment was painful, not to mention how it affects your lovelife.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:29 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
I lived in a neighborhood in Vegas that had fleas & ticks. That was mid 80's & that is the only time i've seen them.

As for these dogs...does the house have gates leading to the yard that are open or can be opened?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:14 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
my dog sleeps under the blankets on her back. I do not put her on her back.. she just prefers it. Sometimes I wake up to her gasping for air.
Lola and Spot prefer to sleep that way too. There's never enough covers for everyone.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:16 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I've never seen any fleas or ticks here. I have seen 1(ONE) mosquito though.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:33 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine728 View Post
...Or set up misters on the fence on your side that go over to their side ...
I don't think it would be sage advice to spray water or water mist onto someone else's property even if it is done with compassion in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas