Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:54 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i would have to imagine that a main reason would be friends.. overall , i like this place alot... but the people here are not trustworthy or friendly
That is interesting Airics...Normally I would ignore such a view but not in your case.

Say more. That is very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
That is interesting Airics...Normally I would ignore such a view but not in your case.

Say more. That is very interesting.
first, i'm not referring to this board at all... second, i deem honesty crucial in a friendship and i haven't seen enough of that here... everywhere (or mostly) that you go, the independent salespeople ( car dealers, electricians, plumbers, etc) try to rip you off... now, granted this happens everywhere.. but i'm still searching for the honest plumber, electrician, hair dresser for my wife, etc.
The honest mechanic, i have found.. teach1234... Even the employers i have to question.. at work, employee stealing the tips to balance.. affects 24 people... went to the director.. this creates drama.. leave it alone.. im told... wtf?

ive got a couple decent neighbors and thats it.. people you meet.. want to get together and then don't show...
maybe im getting too cynical in my old age of 42.. or maybe its the midwest in me.. but i never did this crap!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:43 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Unfortunately, too many people move here because they had a fabulous Las Vegas vacation and want the rest of their life to be like that...
Yesterday was a reality check for me big time. I had already been here one week and I hadn't been working but now that Im back to work I realized very quickly that fun time is over

But FWIW I dont plan to leave

Old 06-10-2010, 08:43 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
first, i'm not referring to this board at all... second, i deem honesty crucial in a friendship and i haven't seen enough of that here... everywhere (or mostly) that you go, the independent salespeople ( car dealers, electricians, plumbers, etc) try to rip you off... now, granted this happens everywhere.. but i'm still searching for the honest plumber, electrician, hair dresser for my wife, etc.
The honest mechanic, i have found.. teach1234... Even the employers i have to question.. at work, employee stealing the tips to balance.. affects 24 people... went to the director.. this creates drama.. leave it alone.. im told... wtf?

ive got a couple decent neighbors and thats it.. people you meet.. want to get together and then don't show...
maybe im getting too cynical in my old age of 42.. or maybe its the midwest in me.. but i never did this crap!

I can kind of relate to this. Although, my situation is different in that I am only in Vegas PT for the moment. That said, when I am there, I do not see too many neighbors out and about. On Fourth of July last year, there were, but they didn't seem too inviting. Takes time, I am sure. It also takes a bit of initiative on our part...my husband is good at that, but I am pretty shy and tend to think that I don't want to "bug" people.

I wonder, though, if I didn't grow up here in MI, and moved here later in life, would it be the same? I am thinking it would. Here I have family and friendships that have existed for a long time. When I think about it, I don't have many new friendships here. Some, but mainly from going out with my established friends/family. So...I think you have to get out there and do things that are "fun" for you and you might be able to meet others with the same interests. Such as join a bowling league, book club, hiking club, the Y...

My neighbors here in MI are very nice, they are outside a lot, they are approachable (even though I don't usually)and they were pretty welcoming when I moved here 6.5 yrs ago. Most of them have been here for some time, so their connections were already established. And, frankly, I don't know that I want to be that close to them. Just because they live on my st. doesn't mean I need to be "friends" with them. I think I want to keep it just as is. Keeps the drama on the street low, and I have heard some drama...makes me wonder what they say about me!

I do have the same problem with service people. I have far more trustworthy service people in Vegas than in Detroit. I had to call an electrician the other day and he was a complete moron!!!! I wasted 60 bucks on the idiot and he didn't even fix the problem! I need a handyman too and I am afraid to just pick someone. Can't get any recommendations from anyone and I have been here 40+ years! So, I think that is probably the nature of the beast. Trial and error...

Oh...and you have an honest BUGBULLY! Right? See???? That's two and you haven't been there that long!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:19 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Yesterday was a reality check for me big time. I had already been here one week and I hadn't been working but now that Im back to work I realized very quickly that fun time is over

But FWIW I dont plan to leave
That makes me happy Davie!! Glad it's all working out for you, enjoy!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 AM

442 posts, read 965,481 times
I was born and raised here, so were my children. BUT when I was sitting on my back porch and watched gang (or the like) members shooting at a car going by, I moved my last 2 children to a small town so that I would not be afraid to let them out to play. I can always visit.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
I was born and raised here, so were my children. BUT when I was sitting on my back porch and watched gang (or the like) members shooting at a car going by, I moved my last 2 children to a small town so that I would not be afraid to let them out to play. I can always visit.
You must have lived in a bad section of the valley, I've been here over 30 years, and I NEVER see that, never heard gunfire, never saw a gun, don't see gangsters....nothing like that?

All the kids in my neighborhood play in the street or go across the street to the park, with no fear?

Wow, you lived in fear so I don't blame you for the children's sake..and if you moved away and really enjoy where you are then don't look back on your negative experience. Best of luck to you and enjoy!

Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I can kind of relate to this. Although, my situation is different in that I am only in Vegas PT for the moment. That said, when I am there, I do not see too many neighbors out and about. On Fourth of July last year, there were, but they didn't seem too inviting. Takes time, I am sure. It also takes a bit of initiative on our part...my husband is good at that, but I am pretty shy and tend to think that I don't want to "bug" people.

I wonder, though, if I didn't grow up here in MI, and moved here later in life, would it be the same? I am thinking it would. Here I have family and friendships that have existed for a long time. When I think about it, I don't have many new friendships here. Some, but mainly from going out with my established friends/family. So...I think you have to get out there and do things that are "fun" for you and you might be able to meet others with the same interests. Such as join a bowling league, book club, hiking club, the Y...

My neighbors here in MI are very nice, they are outside a lot, they are approachable (even though I don't usually)and they were pretty welcoming when I moved here 6.5 yrs ago. Most of them have been here for some time, so their connections were already established. And, frankly, I don't know that I want to be that close to them. Just because they live on my st. doesn't mean I need to be "friends" with them. I think I want to keep it just as is. Keeps the drama on the street low, and I have heard some drama...makes me wonder what they say about me!

I do have the same problem with service people. I have far more trustworthy service people in Vegas than in Detroit. I had to call an electrician the other day and he was a complete moron!!!! I wasted 60 bucks on the idiot and he didn't even fix the problem! I need a handyman too and I am afraid to just pick someone. Can't get any recommendations from anyone and I have been here 40+ years! So, I think that is probably the nature of the beast. Trial and error...

Oh...and you have an honest BUGBULLY! Right? See???? That's two and you haven't been there that long!
As far as cars go I know two people/places I can trust, teach1234, and Desert Nissan on Sahara and Jones

I find it pretty easy to approach most people and quite a few have approached me as well. This past Saturday I went to a place called Frozen 75 (a nightclub for people under 21) and met some cool guys and girls. Another guy at my job invited me to hangout with him and his gf because he said he only plays Call of Duty all day.

So far I don't think I have too much of a problem making friends. I guess it just takes a positive mindset and a little initiative from both parties

But man, some of the folks I've met in Summerlin are downright cold. I call it the "Las Vegas Freeze" and I thought Orlando was bad

Old 06-10-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
As far as cars go I know two people/places I can trust, teach1234, and Desert Nissan on Sahara and Jones

I find it pretty easy to approach most people and quite a few have approached me as well. This past Saturday I went to a place called Frozen 75 (a nightclub for people under 21) and met some cool guys and girls. Another guy at my job invited me to hangout with him and his gf because he said he only plays Call of Duty all day.

So far I don't think I have too much of a problem making friends. I guess it just takes a positive mindset and a little initiative from both parties

But man, some of the folks I've met in Summerlin are downright cold. I call it the "Las Vegas Freeze" and I thought Orlando was bad
Um hmnmmm....

For your job and for your sanity remember the golden rule when dealing with folks like that Davie..

when you see someone without a smile..give them one of yours

Old 06-10-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Um hmnmmm....

For your job and for your sanity remember the golden rule when dealing with folks like that Davie..

when you see someone without a smile..give them one of yours
I have been doing that I'm in a new city to be positive, and not be negative like I was back east

I knew Summerlin wouldn't be the friendliest place in Vegas but WOW, I didnt think it would be as cold as what I've seen. I find it quite discouraging but I try not to let it ruin my day

On a positive note I have met some very friendly souls there as well. It seems like for every cold person I meet, I meet an equal and opposite nice warm person So I guess Summerlin is 50/50 people wise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas