Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:37 PM

53 posts, read 295,028 times

Advertisements

Chicago, Jun 12 (PTI) US President Barack Obama today emphasised the need for improving the country's education system as its students have to compete with Indian and Chinese kids, who spend more time in school and less time playing "video games". Obama said while at one time America produced the highest number of school and college graduates, Ph.
Ds, engineers and scientists, it has fallen behind now and is no longer "head and shoulders above other countries when it (comes) to education". "We have got to pick up the pace because the world has gotten competitive.
The Chinese, the Indians are coming at us and they are coming at us hard, and they are hungry and they are really buckling down," Obama said at a town hall meeting in neighbouring Wisconsin. "Their (Indian and Chinese) kids watch a lot less TV than our kids do, play a lot fewer video games, they are in the classroom a lot longer," he said.
At present, the US is in the "middle" and has settled into "mediocrity" among wealthy, advanced, industrialised countries. There is need to improve and step up its game as its kids are falling behind when it comes to science and math, Obama said.

Buckle up Indians and Chinese are coming: Obama to Americans - Yahoo! India News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 05:46 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Okay, well, I read a lot about China and the vast majority of people are still not going to colleges and universities in droves.

I believe the competition is fierce internally in China to get a place in university. People are willing to study their lives away to get off the farms and into a university!

You never know how their government is going to blow...(study your history). For all you know, they might freak out again and hide out from the rest of the world like turtles pulling themselves in their shells.

Watch and play videogames? I wonder how many rural folks have access to their own tvs, let alone 'videogames?'

India, I don't know so much about.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Many bright American kids are being denied an education because corporations now figure they can save money by bringing in a foreign workforce and long gone are scholarships for Americans.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:30 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I think thats BS Malamute. How the hell does an American kid get denied an education because of a foreign worker? Starting in grade school...if American kids applied themselves up to and through highschool...there are scholorships for college, there are community colleges for those folks that can't afford a Harvard scale college, and there are the folks that "can" afford college thanks to Mom and Dad paying their way.
The education of our kids has dropped only because the kids themselves have no desire to better themselves...or the parents lack of discipline in keeping them in school or studying. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

Now maybe...just maybe, someone that has already finished schooling get's denied a "job", because of a cheaper labor force brought in from outside the US. But kids getting denied an education because a foreigner works here? Absurd.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:42 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I think thats BS Malamute. How the hell does an American kid get denied an education because of a foreign worker? Starting in grade school...if American kids applied themselves up to and through highschool...there are scholorships for college, there are community colleges for those folks that can't afford a Harvard scale college, and there are the folks that "can" afford college thanks to Mom and Dad paying their way.
The education of our kids has dropped only because the kids themselves have no desire to better themselves...or the parents lack of discipline in keeping them in school or studying. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

Now maybe...just maybe, someone that has already finished schooling get's denied a "job", because of a cheaper labor force brought in from outside the US. But kids getting denied an education because a foreigner works here? Absurd.
Kids of foreigners won't get so easy a scholarship or they have to have a special talent for sports....For most scholarship you need to have a green card.

I do agree with Obama (ohhh I hope i'm not sick)....since I have met some people from india and their kids played video games but not for hours, but spend most of their time studying and if some time was left they played some games. Most of them were very motivated and maybe because they come from a country with very poor people as well as rich people and a large population they know that sitting on the couch in front of the tv isn't getting you a great job later in life. Instead of whining about it, American's should start to act and try to get their kids do more academic work and maybe a little less hanging in the street. Some kids in my neighborhood are playing in the street from the minute they step of the schoolbus till late at night. I never understood why the parents are not interested to do something that will help their kids later in life...maybe because their parents didn't do it....my kids are doing online school as well as full time school and still play video games, sports and I'm proud that my eldest went to College on a full ride!
it is all about priorities...

Old 06-18-2009, 04:19 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:

Maybe kids are denying themselves the privilege of going into five or six figures of debt to prepare for a career that the local corporations prefer to outsource to a country where the labor costs are much less than our own or they prefer to bring in foreign labor.

IBM recently laid off a bunch more of American workers and offered them jobs in China or India at the going rate of salary over there. Try and pay your student loans off that way ... plus be getting charged 3-4x more for everything because the Chinese and Indians think you must be rich because you are an American.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:36 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Obama's assessment is nothing new. Maybe he's just the highest authority to cop to the truth.

By the time they finish highschool, the AVERAGE Chinese student is on the same level as the OUTSTANDING American students. In other words, the college-bound VD's and SD's from highschool--the top 10%--are equal to the 50%-ers in China in terms of education. College-level/prep Chemistry, Calculus, Physics courses are standard fare for chinese highschool seniors, while US students must be outstanding to even be considered for these classes. It hits home when you find a young Chinese dressmaker who knows how to find the integral of a multi-variate equation or how to derive an object's accelleration from it's position vs time expression and can speak 3 languages AND knows how to play the piano, trumpet, mandalin, AND can dance ballet!

I mean, seriously, WTF?

Typical Chinese students will study from 7AM until 10PM including regular school hours from 0700 until 1700, then supplementary courses every day of the week (and weekends) from 1700 to 2200. It is quite frightening, as I don't think anybody should have to study that much, and it's worrying to think that our youth might someday have to give up almost all free time and social or sports activities to become drone study-machines.

One mitigating factor is that many of the extra-cirricular courses are "artistic" activities such as dance or music lessons, so the gap isn't so wide as it might seem at first.

Also, China's one-child policy is creating a generation of spoiled "only children" who are entranced by the siren call of Hollywood and ape the same idiotic easy-money fame-is-king follow-your-dream-but-you-don't-need-to-work-too-hard-to-get-it message that our youth have pumped into their earphones and viewscreens. So it's not all bad. Our pop cultural exporters are busily making them lazier even as they may force us to work harder to compete.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:01 PM

53 posts, read 295,028 times
Quote:

Immigrants. Easy targets! duh!

There are some who learn to make themselves better after a defeat/loss and there are also a few (unfortunately) who just blame others for all their problems.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:10 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Default That was a switch!

I thought I was in the Legal Immigration forum! LoL!

Old 06-19-2009, 02:04 PM

487 posts, read 1,363,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Obama's assessment is nothing new. Maybe he's just the highest authority to cop to the truth.

By the time they finish highschool, the AVERAGE Chinese student is on the same level as the OUTSTANDING American students. In other words, the college-bound VD's and SD's from highschool--the top 10%--are equal to the 50%-ers in China in terms of education. College-level/prep Chemistry, Calculus, Physics courses are standard fare for chinese highschool seniors, while US students must be outstanding to even be considered for these classes. It hits home when you find a young Chinese dressmaker who knows how to find the integral of a multi-variate equation or how to derive an object's accelleration from it's position vs time expression and can speak 3 languages AND knows how to play the piano, trumpet, mandalin, AND can dance ballet!

I mean, seriously, WTF?

Typical Chinese students will study from 7AM until 10PM including regular school hours from 0700 until 1700, then supplementary courses every day of the week (and weekends) from 1700 to 2200. It is quite frightening, as I don't think anybody should have to study that much, and it's worrying to think that our youth might someday have to give up almost all free time and social or sports activities to become drone study-machines.

One mitigating factor is that many of the extra-cirricular courses are "artistic" activities such as dance or music lessons, so the gap isn't so wide as it might seem at first.

Also, China's one-child policy is creating a generation of spoiled "only children" who are entranced by the siren call of Hollywood and ape the same idiotic easy-money fame-is-king follow-your-dream-but-you-don't-need-to-work-too-hard-to-get-it message that our youth have pumped into their earphones and viewscreens. So it's not all bad. Our pop cultural exporters are busily making them lazier even as they may force us to work harder to compete.
so instead of telling them to fix their human rights, let's just export "american idol" to them for free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration