U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-14-2010, 02:01 PM
 
2 posts, read 33,724 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Hello,

Needing some suggestion/s from any of the forum members who is familiar with my mother's situation.

She's 72 yrs old, a senior citizen and she failed her first civic test last month, and she's got another test coming up this September. The problem is that she can't read, write or speak in English so she's gonna fail again.

My question is: Is there a way for her to skip the test and maybe get a lawyer to fix it. I mean, there must a law/rule concerning senior citizens
that they should be allowed an Interpreter for non-speaking immigrants, right ?

Do you know anyone who was in this situation and found a solution ?

Thanks and I appreciate any replies.


Ed
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2010, 02:42 PM
 
47,531 posts, read 63,736,547 times
Reputation: 22345
Quote:
Originally Posted by defianted View Post
Hello,

Needing some suggestion/s from any of the forum members who is familiar with my mother's situation.

She's 72 yrs old, a senior citizen and she failed her first civic test last month, and she's got another test coming up this September. The problem is that she can't read, write or speak in English so she's gonna fail again.

My question is: Is there a way for her to skip the test and maybe get a lawyer to fix it. I mean, there must a law/rule concerning senior citizens
that they should be allowed an Interpreter for non-speaking immigrants, right ?

Do you know anyone who was in this situation and found a solution ?

Thanks and I appreciate any replies.


Ed
If she can't pass the test or learn English - why on earth does she want to be a citizen here in the first place? It doesn't sound like she's really got all that much interest in this country. She can go on being a resident without being a citizen.

I don't think that exemptions should be made - if someone is very interested, they would have already learned before reaching age 72. If they didn't, then I wouldn't dumb down American citizenship just to cater to them.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 03:15 PM
 
2 posts, read 33,724 times
Reputation: 16
She's receiving US Navy pension thru my Dad's and she wants to go home for a year or so, but in order to continue receiving pension, she has to be a US citizen otherwise she can only visit home for 6 months or less then she has to get back to the US. Plus being a US citizen helps speed up paper work when you're traveling.

My mother never learned to read, write or speak English, she never went to Hi-School because she came from a very big ( 13 brothers and sisters ) and poor family so when was old enough to work, she had to leave her family and find jobs in the city.

Ed
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 04:35 PM
 
16,965 posts, read 2,227,614 times
Reputation: 28023
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If she can't pass the test or learn English - why on earth does she want to be a citizen here in the first place? It doesn't sound like she's really got all that much interest in this country. She can go on being a resident without being a citizen.

I don't think that exemptions should be made - if someone is very interested, they would have already learned before reaching age 72. If they didn't, then I wouldn't dumb down American citizenship just to cater to them.
Malamute or malarude?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,613 posts, read 11,894,939 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by defianted View Post
Hello,

Needing some suggestion/s from any of the forum members who is familiar with my mother's situation.

She's 72 yrs old, a senior citizen and she failed her first civic test last month, and she's got another test coming up this September. The problem is that she can't read, write or speak in English so she's gonna fail again.

My question is: Is there a way for her to skip the test and maybe get a lawyer to fix it. I mean, there must a law/rule concerning senior citizens
that they should be allowed an Interpreter for non-speaking immigrants, right ?

Do you know anyone who was in this situation and found a solution ?

Thanks and I appreciate any replies.


Ed
These are the OFFICIAL USCIS rules regarding exemption from having to take the test in English -

Quote:
Exceptions to English Language Requirement
Persons over 50 and living in the US for 20 yrs subsequent to becoming a LPR
Persons over 55 and living in the US for 15 years subsequent to becoming a LPR
Special consideration in determining the knowledge requirements to persons over 65 with 20 yrs as a LPR (a test of 10 questions in the person’s native language where only 6 need to be correct)
Physically/developmentally disabled or mentally impaired including:
Individuals with Alzheimers, Parkenson’s Disease, senile dementia or a related disability
Hope that helps
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 04:49 PM
 
16,965 posts, read 2,227,614 times
Reputation: 28023
Quote:
Originally Posted by defianted View Post
She's receiving US Navy pension thru my Dad's and she wants to go home for a year or so, but in order to continue receiving pension, she has to be a US citizen otherwise she can only visit home for 6 months or less then she has to get back to the US. Plus being a US citizen helps speed up paper work when you're traveling.

My mother never learned to read, write or speak English, she never went to Hi-School because she came from a very big ( 13 brothers and sisters ) and poor family so when was old enough to work, she had to leave her family and find jobs in the city.

Ed
My personal opinion about your mother's situation aside - work your way through this
USCIS - Exceptions & Accommodations
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 08:36 PM
 
Location: In transit...
378 posts, read 806,334 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If she can't pass the test or learn English - why on earth does she want to be a citizen here in the first place? It doesn't sound like she's really got all that much interest in this country.
Wow...
Sometimes people arrive to the US with elderly parents and it is very difficult for an older person to learn another language, thus, exceptions to the rules.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 08:38 PM
 
Location: In transit...
378 posts, read 806,334 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by defianted View Post
My mother never learned to read, write or speak English, she never went to Hi-School because she came from a very big ( 13 brothers and sisters ) and poor family so when was old enough to work, she had to leave her family and find jobs in the city.

Ed
Ed, you don't have to explain yourself.
Sorry for the rudeness you have encountered, this is an exception, not the rule.
Good luck to your mom.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 AM
 
1 posts, read 12,927 times
Reputation: 10
Could you please tell me what ever happened to your mother with her citizenship test, because I am facing the same problem.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2013, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Arizona
6,625 posts, read 6,254,016 times
Reputation: 20786
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoLight View Post
Wow...
Sometimes people arrive to the US with elderly parents and it is very difficult for an older person to learn another language, thus, exceptions to the rules.
She was younger when she came here. She is younger than some of the Rolling Stones so don't act like she is elderly.

That is also a poor reason for her to want citizenship. What happened to love of country? Wanting to be an American? Easier travel doesn't cut it with me.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top