Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:08 AM

11 posts, read 23,814 times

Advertisements

I have a co-worker who got her green card thru greencard lottery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 03:53 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,213,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post

Top countries by # of applicants
6,002 GHANA
6,000 NIGERIA
6,000 UKRAINE
5,999 BANGLADESH
5,200 ETHIOPIA
5,091 UZBEKISTAN
4,689 KENYA
4,251 EGYPT
3,911 SIERRA LEONE
3,674 CAMEROON
2,819 IRAN
2,575 CONGO, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE
Excellent! I can really feel our average IQ and overall quality of life rising!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:03 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,800,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
That was by APPLICANT, not by those who won a chance at a visa.

Just FTR, they usually SELECT approx 110k per year even though there are only 50k visas available. Why? Because quite a FEW of those selected don't actually qualify for a visa even though they applied. They can't meet the immigration requirements for one reason or another.

Also, just FTR the requirements include at minimum a high school diploma or equivalent OR to have in the last 5 years worked at an occupation that requires a minimum of 2 years training and that's before all the OTHER "usual" immigration requirements such as clean police record, health record etc. etc.

So no, the successful visas recipients do NOT "lower the IQ" or skill level of the USA.

Even the Diversity Lottery does not offer a path to US residency for the uneducated and unskilled, but it DOES offer the only chance some have to get a visa as they don't qualify for the "work" visas such as H1B, and EB1/2/3 etc as they don't have a tertiary education.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:40 AM

228 posts, read 662,836 times
Also- winners who have their number come up to apply (for one of the 50K visas) go through rigorous medical checks (xrays and blood draws) and still have to pay the green card/biometrics fees, which are quite expensive (almost $1000 I believe). If you have to have documents translated to English that can be expensive as well. You also have to prove that you either have a sponsor in the US who can afford to keep you while you get settled (so you aren't on the public support rolls) or prove that you have the savings to support yourself while you get established in the US.

My partner was a winner in the 2006 lottery, on his first try, from Sweden. In his year there was something like 4.2 million applicants, with 110K drawn and 60K visas issued. America is still a dream for many people around the world, and many of the winners are intelligent and highly-skilled who can afford to move here and contribute to society.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:42 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,028,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Yeah? Well, you'd better. A coworker of mine holds a Master's Degree in Aerospace Engineering, is an expert in his field of CFD analysis with several honorary recognitions for his skills, and came from Africa on a diversity lottery visa.

So, are you an award-winning rocket scientist?

Old 10-02-2010, 03:20 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,563,776 times
I am surprised at the low numbers of applicants. Even the top countries have just about 6000 each

Old 10-02-2010, 06:51 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,929,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am surprised at the low numbers of applicants. Even the top countries have just about 6000 each
The number of total applicants is much higher. That 6,000 is just those from that country that made the initial 100,000 cut. Of those 100,000 only 50,000 will get green cards.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:43 PM

27,203 posts, read 46,518,781 times
The DV lottery is a big money maker for immigration so they will not stop with the DV lottery soon.

I know winners as well since one of my friends won last year. It is costly and takes a long time from entering until getting the GC.

There are people who win the notification letter that they have won the chance to proceed in the process to obtain a GC and pay their fees and than are denied due to making an error or not being eligible due to not having the right requirements, for example not having enough funding as required by the poverty guideline, etc...

The money is non refundable and in the last years not all GC have been given out. 100,000 people get otified they won and only 50,000 GC are available + 5,000 for a certain area. People make mistakes and if 60,000 pay their fee than do the math...it is very lucrative for USCIS to keep having the GC lottery and fees only have gone up in the last yrs.

The average amount spent just for USCIS fees is between $ 700- $ 1000......that is aside from medicals, pictures, biometrics, traveling to USCIS for appointments/interview, Consulate and traveling over here, etc...

Old 10-03-2010, 02:28 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,213,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Yeah? Well, you'd better. A coworker of mine holds a Master's Degree in Aerospace Engineering, is an expert in his field of CFD analysis with several honorary recognitions for his skills, and came from Africa on a diversity lottery visa.

So, are you an award-winning rocket scientist?
Hooray for anecdotal reductionisms...

Old 10-03-2010, 08:32 AM

23,876 posts, read 10,251,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The DV lottery is a big money maker for immigration so they will not stop with the DV lottery soon.

I know winners as well since one of my friends won last year. It is costly and takes a long time from entering until getting the GC.

There are people who win the notification letter that they have won the chance to proceed in the process to obtain a GC and pay their fees and than are denied due to making an error or not being eligible due to not having the right requirements, for example not having enough funding as required by the poverty guideline, etc...

The money is non refundable and in the last years not all GC have been given out. 100,000 people get otified they won and only 50,000 GC are available + 5,000 for a certain area. People make mistakes and if 60,000 pay their fee than do the math...it is very lucrative for USCIS to keep having the GC lottery and fees only have gone up in the last yrs.

The average amount spent just for USCIS fees is between $ 700- $ 1000......that is aside from medicals, pictures, biometrics, traveling to USCIS for appointments/interview, Consulate and traveling over here, etc...
All they "win" is an application. Those who play the lottery and do not read the fine print are on their own in my book. Requirements are clearly posted on uscis.gov
A lot decide not to go forward with the application. Changes in lifestyle, not ready, applied without immigration in mind ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration