Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 12:11 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
All they "win" is an application. Those who play the lottery and do not read the fine print are on their own in my book. Requirements are clearly posted on uscis.gov
A lot decide not to go forward with the application. Changes in lifestyle, not ready, applied without immigration in mind ...
When one checks online, it says that one's entry was selected for further processing, or not. It does not say one has won a green card.

It still is a fast, relatively cheap track to immigration when compared to the regular paths.

I guess eventually I would not have used the green card, either, if I had won one. I used to play because I wanted to get away from where I was, but I never really liked the American way, either. I feel like my old British professor did, he said he had a love-hate attitude towards the US. He liked the scenery, but didn't like society.
And at the moment and probably even more so in the future other countries are more interesting, I only wish they had greencard lotteries, too.

Last edited by Neuling; 10-03-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:16 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
When one checks online, it says that one's entry was selected for further processing, or not. It does not say one has won a green card.

It still is a fast, relatively cheap track to immigration when compared to the regular paths.

I guess eventually I would not have used the green card, either, if I had won one. I used to play because I wanted to get away from where I was, but I never really liked the American way, either. I feel like my old British professor did, he said he had a love-hate attitude towards the US. He liked the scenery, but didn't like society.
And at the moment and probably even more so in the future other countries are more interesting, I only wish they had greencard lotteries, too.
So you are one of those who take away chances from those who really want to make the move.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:39 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
So you are one of those who take away chances from those who really want to make the move.
In hindsight I probably did, but I don't participate anymore, my attention has moved to the other hemisphere

Old 10-10-2010, 06:08 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
In hindsight I probably did, but I don't participate anymore, my attention has moved to the other hemisphere
Good to hear, so more chances for people who really want to be here. I hope people realize that before they enter, and also realize that there are multiple fees they have to pay before they finish the process.

Getting here is not a guarantee for a job either.

Some people enter while they are not eligible or have overstayed and that can cause a refussal to enter the country for multiple years so better realize before entering and taking a chance of someone who has made up their minds and has all the proof (funding, job or educational requirement, etc)

Old 10-16-2010, 02:45 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,119 times
it is come out??now??

Old 10-16-2010, 03:50 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,414 times
Yes, it is open now, till 3rd November.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:39 PM

I wonder how many people will be denied due to not having enough funds to survive until they can find a job over here, with this high percentage of unemployment...I guess they will be more strict this upcoming year and collect more fees from people who will be denied...IMO it is a huge income winner for USCIS this DV lottery....and a nice chance to get a GC and an even better thing to dream about and have hope for a change for the person entering...maybe the only real "hope & change" many people have...

Old 10-20-2010, 09:59 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Not sure what you mean as it costs nothing to "enter". If you "win" a chance at a visa and entered without the requirements necessary to gain said visa, that's really on the entrant. The requirements are known before they even decide to enter.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Not sure what you mean as it costs nothing to "enter". If you "win" a chance at a visa and entered without the requirements necessary to gain said visa, that's really on the entrant. The requirements are known before they even decide to enter.
I mean "no fees have to be paid for entering the lottery" that makes it easy for many people just to enter without reading the requirements...

You sound like a smart person, but many aren't smart enough to read the rules and regulations upfront...they start reading when the win the NL and than figure out they are not eligible and some can't read at all and pay fees and than get denied...IMO hardly any one should be denied since every one knows the requirements and should be so smart not to enter or pay fees if you aren't eligible but it is like love....winning makes a person blind for reality and USCIS is the winner they get lots of fees from people who are not eligible and they don't care if you or someone else will get the GC...

Old 10-21-2010, 06:42 PM

387 posts, read 871,206 times
Quote:

One does receive, or 'win', a green card as long as they fulfill the requirements.
It is a relatively easy way to move to the US as long as one has completed the paperwork correctly, satisfies education and employment requirements, has no criminal record and has sufficient funds to sustain them.
I know of people who won one and I believe the green card was finalised on their arrival in the US. They are not tied to a particular employer this way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration