Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 06:43 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,725,719 times

Advertisements

I've completed one application - under my name. I'm going to do another one, under hubby's name.

Wish us luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 07:02 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Just wondering, why is the year in the name of a greencard lottery always two years ahead of the year of entry? One year would be OK since the results are in in May of the following year and the formal process of immigration takes place during the second half of that year

Old 10-23-2010, 08:35 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,725,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Just wondering, why is the year in the name of a greencard lottery always two years ahead of the year of entry? One year would be OK since the results are in in May of the following year and the formal process of immigration takes place during the second half of that year
Good question. Maybe the two years is the deadline for when you have to move to the US? So, if you apply Nov 2010, get picked May 2011, go through the whole process during the latter half of 2011, you may be given a few months to make the actual move which would put you into 2012. Just my theory.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Is "Green Card Lottery" a legal thing or a scam??
No it's not a scam, it's a official lottery and US state government issue Green Cards to individuals born in countries with historically low levels of immigration to the United States.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:32 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
it is a legal thing- as you can see, the link goes directly to a government website. It is officially called the Diversity Visa Lottery, as only citizens of countries can apply that don't have huge numbers of people immigrating to the USA already. For example, Irish can apply, but UKers cannot.
Lol- oh yes the UK has HUGE numbers of people moving here each year-around 17,000 compared to god knows how many from India, China and Mexico!

I actually believe it's an agreement between the UK and the US to stop more UK professional natives leaving for the USA.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:59 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,685,867 times
But then India, China, Mexico are also not allowed in green card lottery-same as UK. 17000 yearly green cards for UK is also a very big number. Now they have removed Bangladesh also from green card lottery list as they are in huge numbers now in US. number of immigrants from Poland has reduced so poland again figures in green card lottery. One country still baffles me-Nigeria. lot of nigerians in US and again the country with maximum applicants for lottery is nigeria. and nepal too. it is high time these two countries removed from green card lottery process. By the way, UK residents from North Ireland are allowed to participate in green card lottery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Lol- oh yes the UK has HUGE numbers of people moving here each year-around 17,000 compared to god knows how many from India, China and Mexico!

I actually believe it's an agreement between the UK and the US to stop more UK professional natives leaving for the USA.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,879 times
Hi every one:
I'm a green card winner for dv lottery 2012.
I'm a 42-year old math teacher from Iran . I don't know what I can do in the united states as a job!
My English abilities are not very well.
Do you have any advice as a native or an American citizen?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:46 PM

441 posts, read 885,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_star1316 View Post
Hi every one:
I'm a 42-year old math teacher from Iran . I don't know what I can do in the united states as a job!
welcome to C-D

if you're unhappy where you are and can afford to move, i'd suggest moving here (but be warned it can take a year or so and you'll have to find a job once here so having some money saved up will be IMMENSELY helpful)

i assume you have recieved your notification letter, in which you'd need to complete the forms (DS-830? can't remember) that are the next step

feel free to DM if you need any more assistance, and congratulations

Old 02-17-2012, 02:51 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,403 times
Take some intensive English lessons, maybe give some grinds?

Old 02-19-2012, 01:24 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,734,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_star1316 View Post
Hi every one:
At least you can read, write, speak English and have jobs skills. For more than a decade we continue to be overrun by illegal alien spanish speaking, criminals and over zealous breeders from Mexico whose idea of the lottery is outbreeding and bankrupting America.

Millions of you as opposed to them would be a welcome site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration