Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 03:08 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,779,271 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am immigrating to California from the UK within less than a week, on a DV-lottery based visa or greencard.

I have questions regarding the SSN and driving licence.

SSN: In the visa application i had to tick that "i need an ssn".
Does this mean that I will not have to go to the SSN office to request one?
In previous years this might have been different than now in 2012. Previously I think people had to go to the nearest SSN office, and they had to wait 10 days after the arrival (POE) to let the immigration paperwork to reach the SSN administration.
Can I get a job and start working before I receive the ssn card?
Can I get/buy private health insurance before getting the SSN?

Driving licence:
They say I must "get" a local driving licence within 10 days of becoming a resident. But, to register for it at DMV, I mut have the SSN, but I will not receive the SSN card for a while after arrival. The california drivers handbook gives examples to what is considered to "becoming a california resident", but none of them really applies to me as a dv lottery new immigrant. I owuld use my UK driving licence initially.

So, it looks like the SSN processing and the DMV's "10 day" rule contradict. How do I resolve this? Just drive "illegally" on my british licence for weeks and months until I get the SSN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 04:20 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,772,669 times
SSN:
- you should get one sent to the US address you listed within 2-4 weeks. If you need it quickly, or it hasn't gotten to you after a month, go to the local SS office (wait at least a week after arrival) and they can tell you what it is.
- Technically yes, you can start work without it. Practically, employers will be very reluctant to hire you without a SSN.
- Yes, you can get insurance without a SSN. They will ask for a photocopy of your visa, in my experience.

DL: 10 days seem very short, most states give 30, and then there is a wait between theory and practical test. You could get an international drivers license, I *think* that gives you a year

Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
International DL is not recognized by the US:>) OP can take his DL tests without SS# and get a CA DL. He will have to provide his SS# once he has it.

Sometimes the SS# requested with GC works sometimes it does not. Generally it takes two weeks for information to filter from immigration to Social Security.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 8,657 times
Hi Buenos,

I went to the DMV last week without a SSN and I was able to take my writing test.
Just go with a document where there is your full name,date and photo ID,such as your passport or other identification you hold.

I hope that will help you a little bit.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:38 AM

thank you.
Somewhere they wrote (maybe in the CDH) that I must present my SSN. That book is full of assumptions about already being a resident for a long time or being a US citizen. It's good to know that they are not that strict about this in practice. I will try it a few days after my arrival.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
thank you.
Somewhere they wrote (maybe in the CDH) that I must present my SSN. That book is full of assumptions about already being a resident for a long time or being a US citizen. It's good to know that they are not that strict about this in practice. I will try it a few days after my arrival.
It is all on the CA DMV website.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:49 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,580,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Hi,

I am immigrating to California from the UK within less than a week, on a DV-lottery based visa or greencard.

I have questions regarding the SSN and driving licence.

SSN: In the visa application i had to tick that "i need an ssn".
Does this mean that I will not have to go to the SSN office to request one?
In previous years this might have been different than now in 2012. Previously I think people had to go to the nearest SSN office, and they had to wait 10 days after the arrival (POE) to let the immigration paperwork to reach the SSN administration.
Can I get a job and start working before I receive the ssn card?
Can I get/buy private health insurance before getting the SSN?

Driving licence:
They say I must "get" a local driving licence within 10 days of becoming a resident. But, to register for it at DMV, I mut have the SSN, but I will not receive the SSN card for a while after arrival. The california drivers handbook gives examples to what is considered to "becoming a california resident", but none of them really applies to me as a dv lottery new immigrant. I owuld use my UK driving licence initially.

So, it looks like the SSN processing and the DMV's "10 day" rule contradict. How do I resolve this? Just drive "illegally" on my british licence for weeks and months until I get the SSN?
Yes you can "TRY" to get a job with out it , but good luck in finding one . What type of work experence do you have ? What did you do in the UK?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:06 PM

computer hardware design engineering.
I am quiet good at this, with a lot of knowledge, practical experience and a few international publications.
Probably I wouldnt apply until getting an ssn, to avoid getting into the companies' spam-filter blacklist.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:22 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,349,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
International DL is not recognized by the US:>) OP can take his DL tests without SS# and get a CA DL. He will have to provide his SS# once he has it.

Sometimes the SS# requested with GC works sometimes it does not. Generally it takes two weeks for information to filter from immigration to Social Security.
That's not correct, if you have an international license (not just your national one) it is indeed recognized in the US. I don't know about California, but Texas had no problem with mine, and as much as you're supposed to get an in state DL within 30 days in TX, I drove with my international license for close to 7 months before I got one, and had no problem. It even lists USA as one of the countries accepting the international license.

They will not just issue you a US DL however, I had to take the tests, not that they're terribly hard, coming from a western European country.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Remember, though, that the IDP is a permit and not a license and it must be accompanied by a valid driver's license from your home country. It's valid for only a year and can't be renewed. You can obtain a new one once yours is expired but have to go through the whole application process again. It's accepted throughout the US but different states have different laws about the length of time you can use it before getting a state license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration