Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:09 AM

14,473 posts, read 20,652,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestplace2b View Post

You could always marry them!
It crossed my mind for ONLY a split second when I was typing the previous comment........

However, there is a story of a poor guy in Texas who married a lady from Dominican Republic and they were into it about 4 years and still she was not here. I need to go search and see if that sad story on immigration turned out for the good.

I think you mean RN's from other countries do not need degrees, and in the US they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 05:08 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Well if you have a caregiver in mind who is "family" then it seems to me the simplest route would be to sponsor them for a family based visa.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
This sounds really weird to me...is it that you want someone who wants to come here, and thus be "beholden" to you, and owe you some sort of duty? That really sounds like a way to set up alot of frustration for you, if the person you choose does not show enough "gratitude" for your help in getting to the US.

Find someone already here, maybe a student, or older person. That will make the relationship more equal. Unless, that is not what you want...

Last edited by Rance; 10-25-2010 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Edited

Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This sounds really weird to me...
The whole thing does.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:45 AM

Too many people prejudice against Asians I guess.

I have extended family, brother and sister in laws and they can not come as family, not close enough. I thought it nice to give one a chance to come here and live and not be a burden on society by being a part of my household.

Someone said foreigners can not own land in The Philippines. And Japan is too rich for my resources, too high a standard of living.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Too many people prejudice against Asians I guess.
Who "too many people"?

I have extended family, brother and sister in laws and they can not come as family, not close enough. I thought it nice to give one a chance to come here and live and not be a burden on society by being a part of my household.

And even if that WERE possible, which it's not, then who would support your caregiver in the event of your demise or change of circumstances?

Someone said foreigners can not own land in The Philippines. And Japan is too rich for my resources, too high a standard of living.
"Someone said" is a phrase you seem to like to use. It's nice of you to think of your friends in Asia but the bottom line is that the chances of your being able to hire one of them is next to nothing so, as has been suggested before, best you start looking for an Asian already legally in the US to fill the bill. Good luck.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
"Someone said" is a phrase you seem to like to use. It's nice of you to think of your friends in Asia but the bottom line is that the chances of your being able to hire one of them is next to nothing so, as has been suggested before, best you start looking for an Asian already legally in the US to fill the bill. Good luck.
It's not an immediate event, down the road.

A resident of Manila said their law prohibits foreigners from owning land.
They used the word "lease" as possible, I'll have my brother in law check into the laws there.

As far as hiring a student, like someone said following their use of the word "weird"...in THIS American society and they are suggesting that at my age, or my age when I would need some assistance, that I hire a STUDENT....?
Our society is too paranoid (obsessively paranoid) about such stuff. I'd never consider a student, not even college.

Yes, I'd put clauses in my will to have everything covered, caregiver would be a co-beneficiary.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:50 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestplace2b View Post
Domestic workers qualify for visas to work in the USA?
Which visa?

RNs have to wait 7 years for Green cards at the moment.
Not sure for others but I understand that diplomats and employees of international organizations can bring in domestic workers under a G5 Visa.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:01 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Not sure for others but I understand that diplomats and employees of international organizations can bring in domestic workers under a G5 Visa.
G5 is tied to G1-4 and tied to a number of stipulations. You cannot "bring in the hired help" so to speak.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:02 PM

25 posts, read 105,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
It crossed my mind for ONLY a split second when I was typing the previous comment........

However, there is a story of a poor guy in Texas who married a lady from Dominican Republic and they were into it about 4 years and still she was not here. I need to go search and see if that sad story on immigration turned out for the good.

I think you mean RN's from other countries do not need degrees, and in the US they do.

RNs in the USA don't have to have a BSN, which is a requirement for a work visa, many only have 2 yr Associate degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration