Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 PM

831 posts, read 680,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Goodness gracious! The Philippine economy is heavily dependent on OFW (Overseas Foreign Workers). Hugs and togetherness may not be enough to feed families, thus they endure the separation to be able to provide. I don't get where you construe Howard's preference for a Filipino caretaker as a ploy to hold slaves? I think you're the one that debases your countryman's status in life, first by calling the honest service they provide as servitude and indenturedness, and second, implying that any potential employer is necessarily a slave holder. Easy for you to judge and quarterback from your armchair there in CA.

And you care for my Fellow Filipinos because????

Ofcourse i can judge, A) I am Filipino, B) I care, C) They/We Can Do better, than what the world thinks we are only good for, you have a problem with that?

Another thing, why would you go through all that trouble just to hire a Filipino caretaker? why not a hispanic one that are already here in mainland states or perhaps a caucasian one? ahh yes, you want a person who will bow and do as you ask on a whim.

So spare me you concern about caring for Filipinos for you have no clue as to who they are..

If you really care for my people and want to help me ellevate them perhaps you can help me reverse the Legacy of Shultz and the 'Hit Men'
Destroyed the Philippines.

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/200...lipp_coup.html

Now what do you propose the action i take, from sitting in my comfortable armchair here in CA, besides the work i do to get Real Skilled Filipinos (RN Nurses/ Engineers/Teachers) from everywhere round the globe to land a job in the land of the free??

Last edited by Lone-Ranger; 04-03-2012 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 06:09 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
And you care for my Fellow Filipinos because????

Ofcourse i can judge, A) I am Filipino, B) I care, C) They/We Can Do better, than what the world thinks we are only good for, you have a problem with that?

Another thing, why would you go through all that trouble just to hire a Filipino caretaker? why not a hispanic one that are already here in mainland states or perhaps a caucasian one? ahh yes, you want a person who will bow and do as you ask on a whim.

So spare me you concern about caring for Filipinos for you have no clue as to who they are..
And I care for Filipinos because...I am one. And you have a very very disturbing view of overseas workers. I have cousins and friends who work overseas, and oh by the way, they are not domestics. I think you're the one who doesn't have a clue. Filipinos do not bow on a whim as you portray. You are an embarrassment to Filipinos both here and at home.

P.S. Please do write and spell better if you're going to be the flag bearer of the nation.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,592 times
You can tap into area churches as well as Asian communities to find one right here in the US who is legally able to work for you. It is much easier. Getting a visa is not that simple, I was looking into it myself. Right now it would be an H-2B for non-skilled worker for a limited period of time. The bad news is that there is a cap and that cap is usually reached by hotels and other commercial businesses. So, bringing in someone for private purposes falls in the wayside. Hope this helps.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:59 PM

782 posts, read 1,087,073 times
OP, you have a large family in your home country and you're worried about old age care? My thoughts are this;
You're not that close to your family.
You're not rich.

ummm........you could just pick up stakes and relocate to S.E. Asia. Thailand, for example has JCI accredited hospitals (google medical tourism). Healthcare is cheaper, much cheaper there. You could hire a personal nurse. Food is good, and so is infrastructure. Since you're thinking 'down the road', I'll assume you're talking about after you retire?

Correct regarding can't buy land in Philippines. No big deal, really. I think R.E. is a bit overpriced there anyway and rents are cheap. You could buy into a condo, but the units must be over 50% filipino owned (or 60% I can't remember).

Last edited by Texabama; 03-12-2015 at 12:09 AM..

Old 09-19-2015, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,354 times
Default caregiver or house keeper

I trying to hire a caregiver for my disable sister or a housekeeper can you please help me these dis my phone number [mod].[/mod]
thank you
Paola

Last edited by yellowbelle; 09-20-2015 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: phone number removed for safety

Old 09-20-2015, 02:21 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola reed View Post
I trying to hire a caregiver for my disable sister or a housekeeper can you please help me these dis my phone number Moderator cut: .
thank you
Paola
Hire someone who lives where she lives.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:15 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
This may be a bit off topic, but this subject is interesting to me. In my situation, I'd like to be a mom, but I work. If I want to hire a caregiver for the kids who lives in the house, I have to pay full minimum wage, plus overtime.

That is crazy. How can middle income people who have to work afford this? If you live in a remote area, it is also hard for the caregiver to drive to your house every day. How can they even afford the car and gas on minimum wage?

IMO just like tipped workers get a reduced minimum wage, employers should be able to pay a reasonable and reduced wage if they provide room and board. Otherwise only the very very poor or the very very rich can have properly cared-for kids? IMO if you work and try to raise kids, that is too hard and not good for the kids. They need supervision. And home-cooked meals.

For safety, kids should also be at home and not at a daycare center with strangers. It should not be necessary to try to subvert the law to get in-home care for your kids. BTW the IRS will get you if you try this. There is not statute of limitations. I guess you could quit your job and go on welfare if there is nobody to support you, but many people do not want to do that.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:27 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
There were two types of in home workers mentioned by the immigration lawyer. One was a registered nurse, no matter what country they were from. Then there was a domestic worker. One of these required a visa application fee of $4000 to $5000 (I think that was the estimate) and if the visa was denied, the fee would be lost.

I would prefer to have a family member or long time friend in my home.
The fact that they live in another country should not be a dead end.

J-1 is a student exchange visa because I have hosted students a couple times. That visa is not applicable to the question.

Now if I was a rich person, and owned a company I could petition a foreigner to work in my business.

I personally know someone who was offered a job in a hair piece company in New York. She came from Asia and has been here since 2002.
Just marry one.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:29 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Hire a babysitter, not a "caregiver." There are many responsible teens out there and they need some extra money.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:50 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Well if you have a caregiver in mind who is "family" then it seems to me the simplest route would be to sponsor them for a family based visa.
This takes a long time, except if they are the parents.
Already for brothers and sisters it takes years, besides being financially responsible for them for 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration