Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:50 AM

24 posts, read 40,797 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I posted here a while ago to get advice on schooling in LA. I've since travelled down on a tourist visa to look at schools, and also applied and finally got accepted in a university in LA.

I'll be studying in an MBA program (finance).

And while I know it's still a long way more to me needing to apply for a green card to stay on in the USA after graduation, I'm trying to plan things out to try to secure being able to live in the USA after I finish school.

I've loved the country since I visited when I was a kid. Everything I hold dear in life is from this place. Rock music, harley davidsons, the beautiful weather of SoCal, the culture, the people and of course the beautiful ladies of America.

I have a BA in communications, worked as a broadcast producer for 3 years in Singapore, and have also served in the military before.

I've also applied for the DV lottery (2012).

What route should I take to try to get a green card after I graduate so I can live on in the USA?

It's only been 2 months since I got back from my month long stay in the West Coast and everyday I'm missing it so much and thinking about when I can get back there. (I start school in 2 mths)

Thanks for all the advice, and if anyone wants to be a friend in LA, I'd love to buy you a drink/meal when I get there!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 11:45 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
Keep applying for the lottery every year.
Keep informed about what MBA specialty are in high demand (finance, IT etc), and take courses related to those fields; your best bet is probably to get a work visa which can lead to an employer sponsored greencard after some years.
Unles you find that during your student days, you find your true love, who is a US citizen, and marry her of course!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:48 AM

my true love had to be sent to school in the DR she is californian.

sad things aside, yes I am going to keep applying for the lottery.
But considering what I am doing now with the media profession, and then going to school for an MBA in finance, are chances of employment after graduation possible?

I'd be happy getting an average pay job for a start, and then work my way around things.

Also, I'll be trying to apply for OPT after grad, so I can at least stay on a year.

Thanks for the advice Penguin

Old 11-03-2010, 12:04 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Yes, keep applying for a DV visa.

If you're going to a school that's well-known for top-notch MBA grads, and you're at the top of your classes, you shouldn't have a problem finding a company willing to sponsor you. Los Angeles is a good place to look for jobs. If your school is not well-known or you're not a good student, then you're out of luck.

Work your ass off, and you'll get there. I just drove an MBA student to a Halloween party, Saturday, and she had 2 offers for jobs/sponsorships. However, she's one of the smartest people in a fairly high-ranked business school.

Definitely get an OPT, as you'll probably need the extra time if your in-school job search doesn't pan out with a GC-sponsoring employer.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:26 AM

I'm going to a third tier business school. Probably won't be a very good student. HAHA.
The reason I'm heading to school here is because I love the place so much and it's the easiest way to live here for a while.

I'm going to keep trying for the DV lottery.

I might consider teaching as a career after graduation. Is that easy a job to hunt for?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:42 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
You won't get a visa to be a teacher.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:44 AM

what about lecturer then?

Old 11-03-2010, 11:47 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Honestly, your prospects are not good if you don't excel and are not here to work hard. It's difficult for good students and skilled employees to get residencies, nearly impossible for the rest.

...unless you (or your family) is really rich. Then you can buy your way into a Green Card.

You can probably cruise along jumping from visa to visa for a while, but eventually your time will run out and you'll have to head home. Anyway, good luck.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:05 AM

hmm yea I get what you mean. I'm not academically inclined, but am really good at getting the job done in a practical context. But I know how it is with employers and the competition.

Anyway, I understand it's 500k to buy a green card through ways of investments? I think that's the only way I'm getting to live in the states. My family isn't rich, but I've had some success trading, and hopefully by 5 years I will be able to have that amount to start a business in America. really wishing that works out.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I appreciate it.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:43 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNinja View Post
I'm going to a third tier business school. Probably won't be a very good student. HAHA.
The reason I'm heading to school here is because I love the place so much and it's the easiest way to live here for a while.

I'm going to keep trying for the DV lottery.

I might consider teaching as a career after graduation. Is that easy a job to hunt for?
There are some visa's that give you a path towards a GC but becoming a teacher will not help you.

The lottery might be a way but you need to proof you have enough money or a job offer, to be eligible under the GC lottery rules...but you stated you have some money from trading so if you don't lose it by that time, you might be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration