Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:00 AM

11 posts, read 20,133 times

Advertisements

I have been searching for advice on the internet and an Immigration Lawyer can be very pricey so I'm hoping someone might have some knowledge in this area! We moved to Chapel Hill about six months ago, from Canada, so my husband could work as a post-doc at UNC. He is working under NAFTA with a TN Visa, my two sons and I have TD Status. This means I cannot work at all. We thought we would be fine financially, but we are finding it harder each month to make ends meet. I really need to get a job and a work visa!

I have a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Education but no teaching experience as I decided to stay home with our two sons until they went to school. I have been out of the work force for three years. I also have work experience in Bookkeeping, Marketing and Sales.

Does anyone have any idea how all of this could translate into a job and visa???

I know it's really a long shot but I appreciate any advice!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 09:25 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,019 times
I'm waiting for the chorus of "Canadians are taking our jobs!" to chime in here.

Are your kids in school now? The only thing I would recommend is to try to find something you could do, like child care, elder care, personal training, etc., where you could get paid in cash.

Or if you have business contacts in Canada, could you do some work from home for a Canadian firm?

I wish I had some actual legal advice to offer you. Good luck--this area can be more expensive than transplants are led to believe...

Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 AM

16 posts, read 73,367 times
Take a look at this website:
US Immigration Forums

I was able to get my husband a CR-1 Visa without a lawyer using this site. They also have a section on employment, tourist, and student visas. I think they can better answer your question then anyone here.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,674,038 times
can you apply for a resident alien card?

my hubby is from japan and thats what he has. in japan I know i could get a spousal visa if i needed one (weve talked about/ looked into moving there)

ill admit though, i dont know all of the nuances and differences of resident alien/ greencard/ visa, etc...

your best bet may be to do small jobs for cash - babysitting or some sort of online work perhaps

Old 04-15-2011, 10:21 AM

645 posts, read 988,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacintosh6 View Post
I have been searching for advice on the internet and an Immigration Lawyer can be very pricey so I'm hoping someone might have some knowledge in this area! We moved to Chapel Hill about six months ago, from Canada, so my husband could work as a post-doc at UNC. He is working under NAFTA with a TN Visa, my two sons and I have TD Status. This means I cannot work at all. We thought we would be fine financially, but we are finding it harder each month to make ends meet. I really need to get a job and a work visa!

I have a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Education but no teaching experience as I decided to stay home with our two sons until they went to school. I have been out of the work force for three years. I also have work experience in Bookkeeping, Marketing and Sales.

Does anyone have any idea how all of this could translate into a job and visa???

I know it's really a long shot but I appreciate any advice!

Thank you!
Have you tried posting your question here?

//www.city-data.com/forum/legal-immigration/

I know the immigration forum is not specific to the Triangle area, but immigration issues require specific expertise. Also, from what I know (disclaimer: I am not a legal expert and have not had to deal with immigration issues!!), I believe you need to first find a prospective employer who is willing to offer you a job AND serve as a sponsor for your visa.

When I lived in Seattle, there were many Canadian citizens who worked in the city using the TN. I recall there are specific jobs that are listed under NAFTA and your job has to be one that appears on the list. Also, you need to have the appropriate degree for the job.

I don't believe marketing or sales is on the list, but teacher may be. I think most companies who hire foreign workers have immigration lawyers on staff or on retainer. I know most Canadians I met had lawyers that advised them.

One last note - I believe if you do not have work status in the US, you cannot accept any money for services rendered - even casual stuff like babysitting. Be very careful about this - you definitely don't want to get into any legal bind by doing something that could jeopardize your stay here.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:15 PM

254 posts, read 590,747 times
The problem with the TN visa is that it does not cover work as a elementary school teacher, you would need to get a different type of job. You would need to be employed at college level to get a TN visa as a teacher. Maybe something different in which they require an Arts degree?

Another option is to verify if your credentials as a teacher are valid, and then try to apply for an H1-b visa...

Old 04-15-2011, 12:55 PM

881 posts, read 1,814,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
The problem with the TN visa is that it does not cover work as a elementary school teacher, you would need to get a different type of job. You would need to be employed at college level to get a TN visa as a teacher. Maybe something different in which they require an Arts degree?

Another option is to verify if your credentials as a teacher are valid, and then try to apply for an H1-b visa...
H1B would require her to get a job offer that would sponsor her for an H1B visa. It's time consuming and expensive ... and I think it comes under similar education/position restrains as a TN?

Could the OP's husband get a J-1 visa instead, which her on a J-2 .. which would allow her to work without the job position/education limitation?

Old 04-15-2011, 02:16 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
I'm waiting for the chorus of "Canadians are taking our jobs!" to chime in here.

Are your kids in school now? The only thing I would recommend is to try to find something you could do, like child care, elder care, personal training, etc., where you could get paid in cash.

Or if you have business contacts in Canada, could you do some work from home for a Canadian firm?

I wish I had some actual legal advice to offer you. Good luck--this area can be more expensive than transplants are led to believe...
You are actually offering advice on how to illegally make money:>(((

Old 04-15-2011, 03:24 PM

254 posts, read 590,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You are actually offering advice on how to illegally make money:>(((
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
H1B would require her to get a job offer that would sponsor her for an H1B visa. It's time consuming and expensive ... and I think it comes under similar education/position restrains as a TN?

Could the OP's husband get a J-1 visa instead, which her on a J-2 .. which would allow her to work without the job position/education limitation?
I'm sure it is just uninformed advise, I think the thread was moved from somewhere else...

The H1B does require a job offer, but it is doable... in general TN and H1B are pretty similar but H1B also includes teachers on all levels. It seems to me that it would be harder to get an J-1 than an H1B, but I might be wrong..

Old 04-15-2011, 11:06 PM

881 posts, read 1,814,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
I'm sure it is just uninformed advise, I think the thread was moved from somewhere else...

The H1B does require a job offer, but it is doable... in general TN and H1B are pretty similar but H1B also includes teachers on all levels. It seems to me that it would be harder to get an J-1 than an H1B, but I might be wrong..
Unfortunately teaching jobs are very hard to come by in most parts off the country right now...finding an employer willing and having the means to sponsor might be extremely difficult. A friend's wife has only been able to find substitute work at a private school (she volunteered there while awaiting her green card). She has her credentials to teach in public schools, but she is not even on the list due to teachers whose positions were cut due to budget. Another colleague
is transitioning from a J-2 to H1-B (I think because our company is willing to sponsor him for a green card), and there is a wait (till the fall) because the last batch of visas ran out. And I have known people who were rejected for H1B and/or visas ran out.

Not sure the difficulty of obtaining a J-1 for her husband compare to H1B. But nothing prevents the OP from pursuing both option. The J-1 will certainly give her more job flexibility (in jobs oppurtunities, part-time etc), since the H1B will bound her to one employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration