Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 874 times

Advertisements

I can totally relate. I have been in the US for the past six years. I am happily married in a biracial relationship, I have a son that I adore. I practice my career as a Register Dietitian in a good hospital. Despite the fact that I created the life that I always wanted here. I always feel like I don't belong here. I believe the individualistic culture of americans is very different to my own culture. I can not change them and they can not change me. It is what it is and I accepted that if I decide to stay here I need to learn how to live with that feeling. I have not find any good answers for this dilema other that resignation but I wish there was a different one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 847 times
Default you're not alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
I have been in US for 6 years. The first 5 years are just exciting! I feel there are always something new to learn about, there are new people I met, there are new stuff I never saw. ..

But now I just felt so lonely and felt I could never be part of American life.

At first, I thought it is a matter of my English. But now I felt more and more English is not the real issue.

We are living in a community which mostly are middle aged white. We are pretty young among them and we are first-generation immigrant, and I found many people are surprised that we can afford house here. Most people here are nice, but I felt I just don't belong here.
I’m in the same boat with you my friend. After I migrated to US and resided in NYC I happened to get trough with life by going to school and working. I met someone soon after but that made situation only worse when we broke up after 2 and a half years together. I was focusing on my relationship and work instead of making friends and now I have 0 friends (literally) and my family is far back in my home country. Being completely isolated and lonely inspired me to help others like us, and trust me there are many. I currently work on a big project and would love to chat with you☺

Old 05-31-2016, 12:14 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
I am not sure, I moved to usa when I was young. So I always had family here but I never had extended family or cousin. We always stayed in highly immigrant community where there were tons of people from our origin. So in a way, I do feel at home in my tiny city/area due to high level of immigrants. Even if my neighbor is not from my country of origin, he/she is immigrant from somewhere else. In that way, "we all don't belong" & that makes us belong. This is why I have been reluctant to move to nicer neighborhood even if we can afford the cost because the middle class neighbor hood will make me feel lonely.

However when I visit back home, my eyes widens & I get this sense of belonging. I see people in the street who look like me, people who dress/act like me. I am not "different'. It is very strange feeling to see your kind in 1000s instead of seeking out the few who are like you in a crowd. BUT since I grew up in USA most of my life, I realize once I dig beyond the outward look, I too don't belong back home. I have too much American influence in me.

Lost in between both world

Old 06-10-2016, 09:56 AM

25 posts, read 17,185 times
hi! folks i liked very much this post and i decided to tell my story, for if you can give me some advice
I am an electrical engineer from Argentina with more than ten years of experience in the power engineering industry here and for career improvement i would love to continue my professional career in America.
So the thing is ive been seeking for a ameircan employer as sponsor since 2010 without any success. So i started to wonder if the problem is i am applying for the wrong companies according to my profile and experience or there is a serious problem in America about doing sponsorship the power electrical engineering field. I mean, are american employers not doing sponsorship at the moment?
I read some articles that say that there are a shortage of STEM workers in America, but in many other subforums americans told me that theres no such shortage of electrical engineers.
So as a matter of fact i am really confused. And now i am starting to feel that my background is not according to electrican engineering job market in usa. I dont know, your advice and comments would help me a lot
Thanks

Old 06-24-2016, 07:07 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
If your neighbors went to your birth country they would have the same experience. No one can move to another culture and have the depth of cultural understanding and comfort they left. It's a choice one makes for their own reasons.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:20 AM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
If your neighbors went to your birth country they would have the same experience. No one can move to another culture and have the depth of cultural understanding and comfort they left. It's a choice one makes for their own reasons.
I totally disagree with you based on experience.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:06 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans2015 View Post
hi! folks i liked very much this post and i decided to tell my story, for if you can give me some advice
I am an electrical engineer from Argentina with more than ten years of experience in the power engineering industry here and for career improvement i would love to continue my professional career in America.
So the thing is ive been seeking for a ameircan employer as sponsor since 2010 without any success. So i started to wonder if the problem is i am applying for the wrong companies according to my profile and experience or there is a serious problem in America about doing sponsorship the power electrical engineering field. I mean, are american employers not doing sponsorship at the moment?
I read some articles that say that there are a shortage of STEM workers in America, but in many other subforums americans told me that theres no such shortage of electrical engineers.
So as a matter of fact i am really confused. And now i am starting to feel that my background is not according to electrican engineering job market in usa. I dont know, your advice and comments would help me a lot
Thanks
Did you attend an ABET accredited engineering program? Have you passed the NCES PE exam? These are qualifications that most employers looking for EEs in the power engineering industry are looking for.

Another factor that may work against you is that some employers in that industry also need employees who have or can pass DOE security clearance, which can be difficult if not impossible for non US citizens.

So, the cards may be stacked against you in that particular industry.

Are there any U.S. engineering firms working in your home country that you might be able to work for? That might improve your chances of being sponsored to move here by that employer.

Good luck!

Old 06-29-2016, 06:16 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
I have been in US for 6 years. The first 5 years are just exciting! I feel there are always something new to learn about, there are new people I met, there are new stuff I never saw. ..

But now I just felt so lonely and felt I could never be part of American life.

At first, I thought it is a matter of my English. But now I felt more and more English is not the real issue.

We are living in a community which mostly are middle aged white. We are pretty young among them and we are first-generation immigrant, and I found many people are surprised that we can afford house here. Most people here are nice, but I felt I just don't belong here.
You have a case of the blahs...you need to go on an adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration