Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 4,636 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this forum so sorry if this doesn't belong here.
Can some one please answer my question?

So here is my issue: I was born in Ukraine and when I was 4 years old my whole family moved from Ukraine to the United States of America. I we lived there 10 years and my parents decided to move back to Ukraine. At the time I was only 14 years old, so I didn't have a choice to stay or not. I've been in Ukraine for 4 years already. And now I want to go back to USA to live there and start my life. I still have my green card and it has not expired yet.

Here are my questions.
1. Since I've been gone 4 years will they let me back in the States?
2. If I plan to go there what documents will I need?
3. I have some family in the USA, is there anyway they can help with the process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 12:44 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
1. Very unlikely, as you will be considered to have abandoned residency by being abroad for 4 years.
2. You should contact your local US embassy. As I mention above, it is extremely unlikely they'll let you in with just your greencard. You MAY be able to file for a SB-1 (returning resident visa), on the basis that it was not your fault you left- your parents made you as you were a minor- and now you reached 18, you wish to return. But that is a small chance.
3. How close are the family? Only parents, siblings, or kids can sponsor you for a visa.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:43 AM

278 posts, read 621,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Levitskiy View Post
I'm new to this forum so sorry if this doesn't belong here.
Can some one please answer my question?

So here is my issue: I was born in Ukraine and when I was 4 years old my whole family moved from Ukraine to the United States of America. I we lived there 10 years and my parents decided to move back to Ukraine. At the time I was only 14 years old, so I didn't have a choice to stay or not. I've been in Ukraine for 4 years already. And now I want to go back to USA to live there and start my life. I still have my green card and it has not expired yet.

Here are my questions.
3. I have some family in the USA, is there anyway they can help with the process?
Your green card becomes voided once you spend more than 6 months outside the U.S.

A green card is a permanent RESIDENCY card, it gets voided if you do not RESIDE (Work/Study/Live) in the USA for more than 6 months.

You should contact a immigration lawyer. Do a Google search: immigration lawyer miami. Make a call and ask that simple question. I do not think they would even charge you, that question is easy to answer.

If you go to the US embassy in Ukraine, they will probably tell you that you lost your permanent resident status.

Talk to a lawyer. Always go to the source. In this case, the source are the immi laws.

I am not sure If Ukraine is part of the European Union yet, If I were you I would relocate to England/Ireland where English is spoken. You will have a higher standard of living, and language/legal status will not be a problem.

Last edited by Venezuelan; 07-10-2011 at 01:12 AM..

Old 07-10-2011, 06:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Here is the information you need from the USCIS website:

USCIS - Maintaining Permanent Residence

Old 07-11-2011, 12:28 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Here is the information you need from the USCIS website:

USCIS - Maintaining Permanent Residence
There are special stipulations for cases such as OP described. The post - get your documentation together and contact the local US Embassy - is the way to go.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:00 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
Returning Resident Visas

It seems you might have a chance, since you were taken back the the Ukraine by your parents rather than voluntarily returning, as you were a minor, but I think you'd have to show yourself as a very worthy candidate for re-entry - excellent school grades, plans to attend a US college etc.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,396 times
i Need Help!!!

This My Problem: I was born in Venezuela and when I was 6 years old my mom moved from Venezuela to the United States of America. I lived there 10 years and my parents decided to sent me back to Venezuela, Not thats long ago. At the time I was only 15-16 years old, so i didn't have a choice to stay or not. To Be honest i Never wanted to come back to Venezuela, But as i was minor, i couldnt do anything. I've been in Venezuela for 4 years already. The Thing is My Dad Said i would only stay here for atleast two years But thats didnt happend, But I want to go back to USA to live and start my life again, To Work and Finsh school.

Here are my questions.
3. I have family in the USA, is there anyway they can help with the process?

Old 08-19-2013, 12:49 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
The answers are the same as those already given in this thread, so - and only if you still have a Green Card - read through them and then do as suggested to the previous poster.

If you go to the USCIS website linked earlier in this thread you'll be able to read about student visas too. Only immediate family can sponsor you for immigration (if you don't have a Green Card or it's invalid) and you can rad up on that also on the USCIS website.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:18 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XoxoSherlyn' View Post
i Need Help!!!

This My Problem: I was born in Venezuela and when I was 6 years old my mom moved from Venezuela to the United States of America. I lived there 10 years and my parents decided to sent me back to Venezuela, Not thats long ago. At the time I was only 15-16 years old, so i didn't have a choice to stay or not. To Be honest i Never wanted to come back to Venezuela, But as i was minor, i couldnt do anything. I've been in Venezuela for 4 years already. The Thing is My Dad Said i would only stay here for atleast two years But thats didnt happend, But I want to go back to USA to live and start my life again, To Work and Finsh school.

Here are my questions.
3. I have family in the USA, is there anyway they can help with the process?
Biggest question was your mom on a legal visa or undocumented. If undocumented you will need to wait 10 years to apply for lottery green card as you came in illegally...

Old 08-25-2013, 05:43 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Biggest question was your mom on a legal visa or undocumented. If undocumented you will need to wait 10 years to apply for lottery green card as you came in illegally...
That is not correct- the poster left when still a minor, so no ban applies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration