Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:54 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,342 times

Advertisements

The current fee to file for an EAD is $380. It can take up to 90 days but I got both of mine in 6 weeks. You don't need the SSN to file for it even though there is a space for it on the form.

You can both apply for your SSNs on arrival but they can take about 3-4 weeks to be issued. You might have a problem getting paid in that time, and you won't be able to apply for anything that requires a credit check without it, ie buy a car or sign a lease. Keep these things in mind when negotiating your relocation package.

You may get a social security office agent that doesn't want to let your husband apply for his SSN without his EAD but just insist that as an L2 he may have one. If you aren't successful the SSN can be issued a lot quicker once you've been in the country a few weeks so the wait won't be as long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,342 times
I forgot to leave you the link to the form so you can see whats required.

USCIS - I-765, Application for Employment Authorization

Old 08-31-2011, 06:50 AM

24,467 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Wait at least ten days after entry to apply for your SS#. It takes a couple of days for your information to process through the system. If you request it before it is through you will create a can of worms.

As money seems to be tight - have you considered start-up costs? Drivers license, vehicle, tag/title, insurance, deposits on rent/utilities/tv/phones not to mention odds and ends (which add up) to furnish apartment and kitchen? Will your company offer medical/dental coverage and if so how much will be out-of-pocket expenses from premiums to co-pays? Will the company pay moving your belongings to AND from the US and your plane tickets both ways? This can get interesting in case the employment gets terminated by either party.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant2011 View Post
If we decide to go ahead, my company are planning to sort all my visa and relocation issues for me. The office I’ll be working at is on Downtown LA so I’m also after some advice on where is good to live with a public transport or walking commute. I’ve looked into monthly costs and I think I want something middling plus I’m a white, youngish female so safe would be good.
Other people have covered the EAD/spouse issues, so I'll just tackle this one. Get your company to cover temporary housing while you look around for something a bit more permanent - your stuff will spend weeks in transit anyway.

If you're working in Downtown, you're not that bad off as regards public transport - one of LA's better-kept secrets are the "Commuter Express" buses that will take you from a handful of suburbs to downtown. Their schedule is a bit on the irregular side and limited to commuter hours, but if I worked downtown, I'd be using them again.

LADOT DASH Routes

As for neighborhoods, it depends on what you want. Beach communities are different from Pasadena are different from Calabasas. Come here, rent a car (you'll need one anyway, LA is tough if you're car-less) and drive through a few neighborhoods to get a feel. Or, if you have a relocation agency - make them work for their fee!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:59 PM

9 posts, read 25,346 times
Thank you everyone for the great advice re visas, SSNs, transport and EADs. The Dash routes sound good

And, Threestep - great point thanks: I get 1 months rent and car hire but have no idea about costs of a CA drivers license, tag/title, insurance, deposits on electric/gas/internet/tv/cell phones and furniture rental beyond what I've gathered from general websites. Can anyone give me a few ballparks or point me in the right direction? I understand that as I'll have next to no credit history all this could be complicated.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:02 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,082 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone for the great advice re visas, SSNs, transport and EADs. The Dash routes sound good

And, Threestep - great point thanks: I get 1 months rent and car hire but have no idea about costs of a CA drivers license, tag/title, insurance, deposits on electric/gas/internet/tv/cell phones and furniture rental beyond what I've gathered from general websites. Can anyone give me a few ballparks or point me in the right direction? I understand that as I'll have next to no credit history all this could be complicated.
//www.city-data.com/forum/legal...-please-2.html

Read on to close to the end of the thread, there are a couple of links to a nursing site and an expat site with discussions re credit score.
I would get an AMEX credit card in the UK and start using it now.
Don't use more than 100GBP OF credit on it , and when it gets to 100 pay down 50 that month and then use it up to the 100GBP again and repeat.
You should be able to transfer the credit history from that card to get one in the USA.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:01 AM

387 posts, read 590,983 times
Quote:

Driver License fee in CA for Class C Vehicle in CA would be $31
Driver License/Identification Card Application Fees
you can get info on tag title insurance on DMV web site
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculator...VehicleForm.do
For a vehicle costing about $25,000 DMV fees would be about $2500 for a new car
Insurance depends on lots of factors like cost of car no of miles on it driving record age martial status
On an average it would be $200 a month
Regarding electric and gas for an apartment would be about $70 a month
Internet Cable and Mobile would be about $150 a month Lots of cos
these days have triple play that includes internet cable mobile for about $100-$150 a month

Old 09-27-2011, 11:07 AM

387 posts, read 590,983 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your help!
I've been speaking to my company more since I posted and am requesting that I receive an L1 Visa so that my husband can work on an L2. Unfortunately if he is unable to work then we can't take the transfer - we just wouldn't be able to afford it.
Just checking as I've heard conflicting answers - with an L2, does my husband need to wait 3 months or so while an EAD is processed? How much does an EAD cost and is anything likely to delay an EAD?
Also, which comes first - an SSN or an EAD?
Thank you again and I appreciate your patience!
I think on L2 you need to wait till EAD is issued which can take upto 90 days
but it depends on the company as some HR does allow you to start work before EAD is issued
You can apply for SSN before EAD is issued but SS card will have written Valid for work only with DHS Permission
It normally takes 2-3 weeks to get SS card as it comes from Maryland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration