Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 PM

77 posts, read 145,618 times

Advertisements

We just had a huge tragedy happen in our family. I have an aunt from Russia who has twelve-Year Old Boy, I found out she died. THEN I found out she was killed.

To make a long-tragedy short. The boy is only left with his almost 70-Year Old-Grandmother. My family and I send money every single month, but since my parents have a family. (We as citizens) Our family can only send so much back, since they also have to take care of my younger brother. Basically what the plan is right now is to sell their apartment and bring them out here to live with us.

This is my father's Mom, she has nobody (Her husband died a few years back, the boy's father drank himself till he got hepatic failure) So besides the mother’s death, the main people affected are the boy and the grandmother. My father will take his elderly mother under his wing, basically my question is. -- ONCE and if she gets approved to come to the states (Since it's first-lineage) -- They will stay with my parents.
I live with roommates, my parents have a 1000 sq. 2-bedroom, 1-bath townhome. There would be a total of 5 people living there. They can only stay so long with my family, since the place is so small.
When they come here, they will have about 40,000 in Cash when they sell their apartment.

The facts are:
1. 100 dollars is not enough to help them. My father is already paying 2000 for the funeral. My parents are not that rich.
2. There is no government subsidizes to help the families in Russia. (You are either an oligarch-mega rich person or poor. The middle class gap is VERY small)
3 . The father is dead, the mother is dead. -- The grandmother is not in her prime anymore, and if the boy was taken away from her at 12-13 years old that is devastating for everyone. It's "Life being Cruel". -- Yet again this is life. – I am not saying “feel sorry for me” I am simply looking for reasoning.

I am "fairly-educated", I am contributing what I can, but I am only a college-student. My net-worth right now is almost 0.
At this point I am simply asking for advice. If they were to come here with "let's say" 40 thousand, how can one invest that money into that family so they can live of it. i.e. buy a small-apartment? – it’s mostly about the boy. My father will do most of the supporting, it’s just a very sticky-situation.

BASICALLY: - *(without asking anymore questions ABOUT THIS situation)
If you were in my family's situation. If you were faced with our dilemma of having absolutely nobody there. What would you do? Who would you consult to?

--- Thank You For All the Future Help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 04:20 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,414 times
Well, before the money issue- I am not at all sure your cousin (the 12 year old) can get a visa- his grandma can be petitioned by her son, ie your dad. But there is no petitionable relationship for the boy. As he is an orphan, there may be a way around it if grandma or someone here legally adopts him, but that can get complicated. Another issue to consider is that since grandma is elderly, at her visa interview she will likely be asked to show proof of health insurance for when she gets to the USA, so she will not become a burden to the US tax payer. Have your dad look into this now, as insurance for an older person can get very expensive!

$40'000 will not sustain them for the rest of grandma's life, and the boy has some 6 years before he is an adult and can work. If they can live with your parents rent free, they could use the money very wisely and may make it that long... Depending on where you live, $40'000 may even buy an apartment but then there is still bills, food, insurance, school expenses etc...

Old 09-20-2011, 11:08 AM

77 posts, read 145,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Well, before the money issue- I am not at all sure your cousin (the 12 year old) can get a visa- his grandma can be petitioned by her son, i.e. your dad. But there is no petition able relationship for the boy. As he is an orphan, there may be a way around it if grandma or someone here legally adopts him, but that can get complicated. Another issue to consider is that since grandma is elderly, at her visa interview she will likely be asked to show proof of health insurance for when she gets to the USA, so she will not become a burden to the US tax payer. Have your dad look into this now, as insurance for an older person can get very expensive!

$40'000 will not sustain them for the rest of grandma's life, and the boy has some 6 years before he is an adult and can work. If they can live with your parents rent free, they could use the money very wisely and may make it that long... Depending on where you live, $40'000 may even buy an apartment but then there is still bills, food, insurance, school expenses etc...

We are from Arizona. I think that the biggest challenge is the "Adoption" of the boy. Things in Russia are done differently. Your local orphanage in Russia is like a crack-house with kids already doing intravenous drugs at THAT age. Hardcore Drugs.
To put a boy in the Orphan home. AT THIS AGE, is cruel. he is a good-boy. I think if he did come to the states I would be his mentor. Since I am 21, and still relatively young. I could make sure he could at least go to college when he turns 18.

I think that is what the problem is, the boy CAN and eventually make something of himself. BUT the grandmother can’t really do much else with her life. Maybe she can “baby-sit” here in America (For other Russian or American families), but as for manual-labor it’s doubtful she would be able to do it.
My parents have lived here for almost 11-years. Both are citizens. At least when the aunt was alive, she was able to “provide” something for the family. Since it is a lower-class family there is no insurance or subsidy from the government. We give what we can, we have our own family too. Russia is different from the rest of Europe. There is a weakened strength of government, I mean YES we can send money. BUT 200-500 a month can only do so much, especially in the inflationary system. I’ve already pitched in. – It’s a really tough situation. I know.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:18 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
a) Get factual. Get a memo together with nothing but facts. The father is ead, the mother was killed, the grandmother cannot keep him, there is no immediate family who could take him in, an orphenage is the first step to crime.
b) Get facts together about your parents income and expenses. No soppy "I am still relatively young.
c) Contact your senators, your congress representatives, get a petition going through the Russian Us community. Social networks are great!
d) Have a conversation (free of charge) with a immigration attorney. Do not limit yourself to one as long as it is pro-bono. Find out if he can legally be in the US until an adoption by your parents is finalized.
e) Find out if your parents are willing and able to adopt him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration