Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:35 AM

66 posts, read 161,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You have to invest 500k at risk to be eligible for a GC.

For a lot of retirees 500k is not that unobtainable to reach their goal. Most Europeans of that age group own their homes. Then add the currency conversion into the equation. Their pensions are worth 1/3 more in the US. Some insurers offer packages for up to five years out of country. All you have to do to restart the cycle is register when you visit family. When you look at the increase in cost of living and housing in traditional European retirement markets such as Spain - the US is very affordable.
Well, 500k looks like a HUGE amount for most people

Spain is way more expensive than most parts of the US. I know because I live in Spain for now.
I live in a very small town (about 50.000 people) my house is worth 420.000 euro and it's not an OMG house. About 2000 sqare feet, no garden, no pool and the most important part of this: NO SECURITY at all.

Spain has become a VERY dangerous country specially for retired people. Every single day you can watch the news and find a new case of foreign criminals going into old people houses and hurting them (sometimes to death) to get whatever they got at home. The most horrible part is that they prefer to go into your house when you are IN!!

Houses here are ALL surrounded by fences, all windows got iron bars, alarm, some people has mean dogs outside... and it's not enough. I know people from my area ( I live on East Coast, Castellon) relaxing outside at the pool with their kids and surprised by 4 or 5 criminals that obbly them going into the house and give them all worthy stuff.

Some years ago, you were afraid of coming back from holidays and find out that someone got into your house and took your PS2. Now the problem is that you could be sleeping any day and be killed for 100 euro.

Of course other countries retirees are the most desirable ones for these "gentlemen" as they got bigger paychecks.
But right now, it doesn't matter if you are rich or not. If your house is somehow easy to get in, they WILL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 09:33 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
USA is cheaper then Europe for retirees but then one has to look that there is no public transportation in USA and health care is extremely expensive. This makes it a very unfavourable proposition for old age people.

Quote:
You have to invest 500k at risk to be eligible for a GC.

For a lot of retirees 500k is not that unobtainable to reach their goal. Most Europeans of that age group own their homes. Then add the currency conversion into the equation. Their pensions are worth 1/3 more in the US. Some insurers offer packages for up to five years out of country. All you have to do to restart the cycle is register when you visit family. When you look at the increase in cost of living and housing in traditional European retirement markets such as Spain - the US is very affordable.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
USA is cheaper then Europe for retirees but then one has to look that there is no public transportation in USA and health care is extremely expensive. This makes it a very unfavourable proposition for old age people.
There is public transportation. Plenty of it. Buy into an assisted living community (some of them are simply fantastic) and you have shuttle service to mall, beach, restaurants. Who need spublic transportation anyway? Have you checkd lately what fares are? I paid 10 euro round trip for four stops on the tram in a medium town in Germany the other day. Sorry - cab would have been about the same and a lot less cigarette smoke, cell phone conversation and unpleasant people close to me).
You can hang on to expanded medical coverage for up to five years. There are plenty of expat coverage programs which are actually affordable.
At this point discussions are mute as it is just another preposition with probably a limited lifespan.
Friends of mine live in Spain and have a hard time selling their really gorgeous little villa on the coast. Living like you describe it would be unacceptable for me.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:22 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
one cannot hide the fact that USA do not have public transportation behind this presumption that who needs public transportation????? I have also travelled in Europe in trams/trains/bus and smoking is banned. Yes I have checked the fares very well. I once travelled 40 miles in UK from one tiny town to other tiny town for 3 pounds while cab fare in USA if small town is lucky to have a cab would have cost 100 pounds. either u have your own car or beg from somebody, that seems to be the norm in usa. and let me tell you, usa hospitals deny coverage based on foreign medical insurances. it becomes pre existing condition and retirees from europe will have to sell the house to pay medical bills.
Quote:
There is public transportation. Plenty of it. Buy into an assisted living community (some of them are simply fantastic) and you have shuttle service to mall, beach, restaurants. Who need spublic transportation anyway? Have you checkd lately what fares are? I paid 10 euro round trip for four stops on the tram in a medium town in Germany the other day. Sorry - cab would have been about the same and a lot less cigarette smoke, cell phone conversation and unpleasant people close to me).
You can hang on to expanded medical coverage for up to five years. There are plenty of expat coverage programs which are actually affordable.
At this point discussions are mute as it is just another preposition with probably a limited lifespan.
Friends of mine live in Spain and have a hard time selling their really gorgeous little villa on the coast. Living like you describe it would be unacceptable for me.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:29 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Its very easy for wealthy foreigners to get US visas. I'm not surprised...

Old 10-26-2011, 11:27 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrs99 View Post
Bill to give US Visas for foreigners buying homes in US
Bill Would Give U.S. Visas to Foreign Home Buyers - WSJ.com
500,000 for just the right to live here, not even get work permits? What is this, an expensive vacation?

EDIT: retirement? I see! LOL

Old 10-26-2011, 02:56 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Well, if it somehow helps the US economy and, as a result, the majority of Americans, why not?

If there are people out there willing to invest their money that way, it's up to them, I guess.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:39 AM

387 posts, read 591,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
500,000 for just the right to live here, not even get work permits? What is this, an expensive vacation?

EDIT: retirement? I see! LOL
Lots of people who are retired would like to come to US for at least 6 months There are lots of people who come to UK to Central Florida during the winter, people can still buy homes in US on a tourist visa and stay for 6 months so not sure what the bill is going to achieve

Old 10-30-2011, 11:32 PM

505 posts, read 1,664,039 times
My thoughts is that anyone with $500,000 CASH is probably not going to want to live in the US. There is more "bang" for your buck elsewhere. Even for retirees, healthcare and cost of living is way high and unless you have family here, it makes little sense to invest in getting a visa when you could just get a travel visa.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
IF the bill goes forward then it would be up to those eligible for the residency visa to determine whether or not it would benefit them. If you read the article you will see that it encompasses more than is offered under a travel visa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration