Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandem View Post
i have a masters in pharmaceutical science... how is the employment in texas in the pharmaceutical industry ?
Why don't you ask this question on Texas forum? Maybe even on city forum in Texas area where you want to immigrate to.

I know, your situation is a little different, because you need a (working) visa to the US, but, at least, you will get a general idea / opinions about job market in Texas in your area from locals.

And I don't think, you need to explain on Texas forum that you're looking to immigrate to the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 12:01 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Why don't you ask this question on Texas forum? Maybe even on city forum in Texas area where you want to immigrate to.

I know, your situation is a little different, because you need a (working) visa to the US, but, at least, you will get a general idea / opinions about job market in Texas in your area from locals.

And I don't think, you need to explain on Texas forum that you're looking to immigrate to the US.
OP has already done so.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:05 PM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:

No matter which way he skins this cat - he needs a visa. The information given here about his professional skill set does not even allow a guess. Going by the laconic "how is the employment in texas in the pharmaceutical industry ?" I would say - not too much research, no networking, fly by night. How is the employment in the pharmaceutical industry in Europe?

Old 11-08-2011, 02:43 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
No matter which way he skins this cat - he needs a visa. The information given here about his professional skill set does not even allow a guess. Going by the laconic "how is the employment in texas in the pharmaceutical industry ?" I would say - not too much research, no networking, fly by night. How is the employment in the pharmaceutical industry in Europe?
Listen, IMO, I gave the OP a useful advice. My post was not addressed to you. No need to quote me. Save me your "smart ass" comments.

Your, and the other poster's endless sending everybody to the sticky thread wihout considering their particular situations and telling everybody they have no chance to immigrate doesn't help much, anyway.

If you have nothing to say or cannot help, don't post. At least, I don't discourage people. Millions of people find a (legal) way to immigrate to the US doesn't matter where they live: UK, Sri Lanka or Moon. And not all of them are millionares, nobel price winners or those who have families in the US. In fact, the majority of people are average folks. They succeed not because of their particular skills, but because of their determination and perseverance.

While your beloved sticky thread is a useful tool, it is not the end of the story. Everybody's situation is different and needs a specific approach. I'm sure you know it, as you're an immigrant yourself. One of my friends with whom I studied in Germany found her job in NYC from Germany. Her prospective employer flew to Germany from NY to interview her, before she even put her foot on US ground. She found the employer online. She is a green card holder now, living in NYC. I could give you many examples like that.

If all those people who find their way legally every year to the US, good economy or bad, listened to you guys, they'd still be home, dreaming.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 11-08-2011 at 03:28 PM..

Old 11-08-2011, 05:35 PM

184 posts, read 472,818 times
Quote:

you are right, i should have posted the question on a Texas forum... sorry, my bad

Old 11-09-2011, 08:22 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
Pharmacy industry has lot of licensing issues and getting license to practise for a foreign national is a time consuming and frustrating process. If you can come here as a foreign student and get a Ph.D. and start teaching, then there are lot of good opportunities.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Pharmacy industry has lot of licensing issues and getting license to practise for a foreign national is a time consuming and frustrating process. If you can come here as a foreign student and get a Ph.D. and start teaching, then there are lot of good opportunities.
the pharmacy industry and pharmaceutical science industry are completly different. the pharmaceutical science is more to do with R&D and testing , whereas pharmacy is more patient related... however the pharmaceutical industry might still require licensing but its not as serious as pharmacy.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:01 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandem View Post
the pharmacy industry and pharmaceutical science industry are completly different. the pharmaceutical science is more to do with R&D and testing , whereas pharmacy is more patient related... however the pharmaceutical industry might still require licensing but its not as serious as pharmacy.
What is the relationship with pharmacology?

Two suggestions.

1. Get a job with a Big Pharma company with operations in the US and, if you do well, start looking for a transfer to a US part of the company.

2. Go for a PHD and then look for a research post at a US university.

ps. While a 2:1 is a good degree, it does not mean much to a US company. You need to express your achievement in terms of GPA.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
What is the relationship with pharmacology?

Two suggestions.

1. Get a job with a Big Pharma company with operations in the US and, if you do well, start looking for a transfer to a US part of the company.

2. Go for a PHD and then look for a research post at a US university.

ps. While a 2:1 is a good degree, it does not mean much to a US company. You need to express your achievement in terms of GPA.
Those are 2 very good suggestion, however number 2 won't be easy, but still do-able. i didn't know it was possible to transfer from country to country. cheers mate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration