Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 10:37 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
Do you know why is that? I thought it was more expensive to bring nurses from other countries because the employer has to offer them same salary and benefits plus immigration costs.
idk about immigration expense but I don't know the Fillipino nurses have to sign contracts for 3 years that states they are bound to work for an employer for a certain amount of pay for bringing them to the Usa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 05:48 AM

385 posts, read 859,156 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say a 35 y/o person is "stale". That worker has more possibilities of being well educated. 20 y/o? If lucky, he/she will have an associates!

I don't know why people assume that this increase in GCs for India, China, and other bigger countries like Mexico (subtly left out of the news) will translate into "more capable and intelligent people". The requirements to get a visa are the same no matter your country of origin. This only means less diversity, because people from smaller countries will have to wait forever.
My stepdaughter is only 23 years old, Chinese, and is at UCLA and will have her Masters in Electrical Engineering, I can't say for Mexico or India but Chinese push their children to learn, if a child there is failing or below a B average the parents are called on the carpet, not the teacher, the teacher teaches, the child learns, the parents enforce what was learned with making the child study, this I have seen in more then one school there.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:41 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times
Review & Outlook: Green Card Progress - WSJ.com

As of now, Iowa's Chuck Grassley has put a Senate hold on the House reform because "it does nothing to better protect Americans at home who seek high-skilled jobs during this time of record high unemployment." His office suggests the bill might go first to the Judiciary Committee to ensure an open debate. But considering bipartisan support from both Democrats and republicans, I think that this bill will pass although with some delay.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:15 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Because the immigration programme is supposed to encourage diversity.Now I assume that means that the US doesn't end up overrun with too many people from single nations.
However the way the system works doesn't seem to do this, and yes, I'm from Europe and already waited 4 years for my Green card when only 5,000 people on average per year from the UK get employment based Green cards.
Brits are already over-represented I suppose.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:00 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
My stepdaughter is only 23 years old, Chinese, and is at UCLA and will have her Masters in Electrical Engineering, I can't say for Mexico or India but Chinese push their children to learn, if a child there is failing or below a B average the parents are called on the carpet, not the teacher, the teacher teaches, the child learns, the parents enforce what was learned with making the child study, this I have seen in more then one school there.
That's great, but doesn't mean that other countries don't have talented people that would come to the US. Again, the requirements to get a visa are the same for everyone (a certain degree, experience, etc. depending on each visa). I don't see a real benefit, since people from other countries would go back to their countries after studying here because 15 years for a green card is insane.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:50 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,728 times
Quote:
Do you know why is that? I thought it was more expensive to bring nurses from other countries because the employer has to offer them same salary and benefits plus immigration costs.
Well many of the philipino nurses have contracts with the agencies who supply the hospitals-not with the hospitals themselves.
The hospitals pay the agencies the prevailing wage , but the philipino nurses don't get that because the agency takes a cut.

Many will have their contract terminated after 6 weeks if they become ill and can't fullfill their 40 hrs a week contract and are left with no health insurance etc

You have to understand that the hospitals were employing philipino nurses with several years experience in nursing (often in ICU and dialysis etc)not new grads.
I believe most US new grads have to be "mentored" for a year until they are fully fledged and this costs the hospitals a years salary even though they aren't getting a RN who can be "let loose"

I think half the problem is that a 2 year training with insufficient clinical component isn't preparing people to be RNs. They concentrate on getting students through NCLEX so that they're numbers look good and they continue to get the funding.

Nursing is classed as a category A shortage occupation by the US Department of Labor.
The answer was to try and train more nurses but I don/t think it's working because the hospitals don't want new grads, and many experienced nurses are approaching retirement.
Now that the wait for a Green card for a RN from ANY country is at least 6 years I'm not sure how the hospitals are managing.
There does seem to be a lot of RN positions out there but most require at least 2 years experience.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:24 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Brits are already over-represented I suppose.
I don't think so, although maybe that's the reasonong behind Brits not being able to enter the visa lottery.
The way the system works means that it's like first come first served.
Once your visa application is approved you are given a number.The numbers are consecutive according to approval date-nothing else.
Because there was such a huge number of Philipinos, Indians and Mexicans applying for visas prior to 2007 they are the people who are gettig the visas now.Once a country reaches it's per country limit (currently 7% but it's just been increased to 85%) then people who from other countries who have lower numbers may move forward faster, but currently the wait for EB-3 green card for Mexico,the Philipines and the "rest of the world" (not India and China) are the same and visa numbers for those have been moving forward at the same rate for the last 6 months or so.

Now that they have removed (effectively) the per country limits then I would expect to see the Philipino/Mexico/India and China dates to move forward more quickly, but it won't improve the wait for people from countries that never reached their 7% quota in the past eg the UK.In fact it may make our wait longer!

Old 12-16-2011, 02:13 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Just another assault on the American worker.We don't have enough jobs around for our own citizens.
I know,its happened in nursing. We have employers who keep trying to import Fillipino nurses when we already have new grad nurses looking for work.
When I was considering nursing I saw many people were saying that on one of the nursing websites. Im guessing because hospitals can pay the Filipino nurses less money and maybe they are less likely to complain about working conditions.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:14 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
That's what U.S parents need to do.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:41 PM

385 posts, read 859,156 times
Quote:
That's great, but doesn't mean that other countries don't have talented people that would come to the US. Again, the requirements to get a visa are the same for everyone (a certain degree, experience, etc. depending on each visa). I don't see a real benefit, since people from other countries would go back to their countries after studying here because 15 years for a green card is insane.
I am sure you are talking about the "Z" visa becoming a 10 year Green card, but my wife will receive her 2 year green card two weeks after she arrives here, my stepdaughter will will receive hers a few months after she is finished with her masters when I and my wife sponsor her and she has a Z visa from the company that has already hired her, my point was that most, not all by any means, American kids will not be as well educated as those from countries like China and India ( as well as others ), us, as American parents must push ( encourage ) our children to do better in school instead of this " no child left behind " B.S., if they fail let them repeat the year, they'll try harder next year.
by the way, step daughter will have to return to China to do the interview for her Visa.
Sorry OP for stealing this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration