Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,686 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! This is my first thread, so bear with me if I make mistakes.
I am currently in high school, so this is a long way off, but as things are now, I am wanting to go to medical school, and also leave the U.S. I'm thinking either Canada or Australia.
I am wondering if I should go to college and med school here and get a lot of debt, or try to go to med school there. I am thinking I would stand a better chance of being able to immigrate if i was a med school grad.
I am also wondering which would be the better destination.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 05:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
This site primarily addresses issues concerning immigration to the US. Your best bet right now is to research the Canadian and Australian immigration websites and see what their visa requirements are. Good luck!

Old 03-04-2012, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,686 times
Ok, thanks!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Your degree will not be transferrable to the US.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Your degree will not be transferrable to the US.
Not necessarily true.

There is an exam to pass, and the residency must be completed in the US.

ECFMG Certification Information

Practicing Medicine

Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuessWhat View Post
I am currently in high school, so this is a long way off, but as things are now, I am wanting to go to medical school, and also leave the U.S. I'm thinking either Canada or Australia.
I am wondering if I should go to college and med school here and get a lot of debt, or try to go to med school there. I am thinking I would stand a better chance of being able to immigrate if i was a med school grad.
I don't get this post. Do you want to leave the US to go to college and then come back to the US to work/live? Or do you want to permanently leave the US to go to college and work/live after?

The medical field is doing pretty good here in America I'd say. I'm in NY and a lot of people who go for nursing or other medical degrees are often given jobs before they even graduate. If you want to work here, go to school here.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuessWhat View Post
It might be more difficult to get into a Canadian or Australian school than an American one. Certainly I would not expect it to be less expensive.

Going to medical school in Canada

" Since government funding for medical school slots in Canada is restricted, it is more difficult to get into medical school in Canada than in other countries. Therefore a lot of young Canadians whose life dream is to become a physician have to apply and get accepted into medical schools abroad."

An interesting Australian program:

Australians Open U.S. Med School | Inside Higher Ed

Old 03-06-2012, 12:38 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not necessarily true.

There is an exam to pass, and the residency must be completed in the US.

ECFMG Certification Information

Practicing Medicine
Exactly - his degree does not translate:>)

Old 03-06-2012, 12:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Op...try to go to medical school wherever it is you want to practice.
The advantage of doing it outside of this country is not having to go to college first.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Exactly - his degree does not translate:>)
The degree will be fine, assuming it is from an acceptable school.

Canadian Schools:

https://imed.faimer.org/results.asp?...erica&psize=25

Australia:

https://imed.faimer.org/results.asp?...lands&psize=25

If you graduate from one of those schools, pass the ECFMG, and do a residency in the US, you can practice here. The ECFMG is not easy, by the way.

If someone wanted to live and practice in Canada or Australia I suspect there is a similar process for grads of US medical schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration