Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,619 times

Advertisements

I run a business here in California for a German based company.The CEO visits the USA several times a year , we also do trade shows 3 -4 times a year. He would like to get a Social Security Number and a Driver's License. Is this possible and what is the process ?

Does he need some type of work Visa as well ?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-24-2012 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: merged 3 consecutive posts by OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 12:00 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fambrough44 View Post
I run a business here in California for a German based company.The CEO visits the USA several times a year , we also do trade shows 3 -4 times a year. He would like to get a Social Security Number and a Driver's License. Is this possible and what is the process ?

In CA he can actually get a DL - based on his visa duration. I assume he travels under VWP. Is it worth it? Driver License Information
Employment based visas are purpose driven, tied to specific positions within a company and require the filing of annual tax reports for world wide income. Read up on requirements for H/L visa at travel.state.gov or uscis.gov.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:26 PM

363 posts, read 929,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fambrough44 View Post

Why does he need a SS/DL for? He can drive just fine with his German license while in the States. I am looking at your question from the Admissibility point of view...

Old 02-27-2012, 12:37 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,123 times
I don't understand it either. I've been driving around California and the rest of the US with my German licence for the last 15 years, when on vacation.

I believe he would have to exchange his German DL for a Californian one so he would not be able to use his new American DL in Germany if he continues living in Germany.

The only scenario I could imagine is that he had to surrender his DL to the police, such as for DUI, and is thus unable to drive in Germany. Still, the social security number does not make sense.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Still, the social security number does not make sense.
One begins to wonder what kind of a CEO he is ...
If the OP is still reading this, have your CEO talk to his secretary (the one who actually runs the company ...) and have here get all the info about the agreements the USA has with Germany regarding Social Security !

Old 02-29-2012, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,757 times
It's all about the money....He probably wants a SS# to open a bank account? Applications for almost anything, including a credit card to buying valid insurance require a SS#. check SS.gov.
There's no fast/easy way to get a green card or a US pension.
As for the DL, he could drive on his license as a visitor for up to one year? Altho...he still has to buy the insurance from the rental car company. My understanding is that his overseas ins. will not cover him driving here. This is expensive.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:37 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilleyfoxtritt View Post
It's all about the money....He probably wants a SS# to open a bank account? Applications for almost anything, including a credit card to buying valid insurance require a SS#. check SS.gov.
There's no fast/easy way to get a green card or a US pension.
As for the DL, he could drive on his license as a visitor for up to one year? Altho...he still has to buy the insurance from the rental car company. My understanding is that his overseas ins. will not cover him driving here. This is expensive.
SS# is not a requirement to open US personal bank accounts. W8 is sufficient.
As tourist he can use his DL as long as his I94 is valid. But CA amongst several states offers DLs limited to I94 validity to visitors.
Let's assume he is over 25 so car rental is inexpensive.
As OP has not returned he may have lost interest or did not get the answers he expected.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:48 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I don't get it either. He doesn't need an SSN or a license, as his German license is just fine for tooling around for a short period of time.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:09 PM

363 posts, read 929,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't get it either. He doesn't need an SSN or a license, as his German license is just fine for tooling around for a short period of time.
+1

There is a larger picture in the background which of course was not disclosed to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration