Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 01:42 AM

20 posts, read 22,191 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

This is swarna, from India. I have a Masters Degree (Post Graduation) in Applied Economics and in addition I had another regular one year Diploma in Financial Risk Management, majors in Credit, market, operational and IT Risk Management. Post qualification, I have more than three years of experience in the area of corporate planning and strategy in BFSI industry.

Now, I got an admission in MS in Accounting (MSA) with a full tuition waiver from one of the best University at Boston area, I know this program has overwhelming reputation in across USA and other nations.

Now I’m in dilemma, whether to pursue another MS or not? Shall go for another degree?

Actually I got full tuition waiver, If i process I would get my F-1 visa, so if i once reached Boston, can I start job searching immediately? Perhaps, based on my qualification and work experience, if I get an offer from any organization to work in Boston or elsewhere in USA, can I quite my campus and join in that company? I born and raised in BPL so my ultimate present desire is to work in USA and earn as much as.

What I don't know much about is what the job market is like for the accountancy/finance sector, which is why I'm here. In addition, I haven't been able to Google any easy answers on whether finding a good job will be easy or possible as my work experience isn’t in USA.

I really appreciate your opinion and suggestions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 02:41 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
If you get an F1 student visa, you can only work very limited hours on campus. You could not just come to the USA on an F1, then work full time.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:05 AM

20 posts, read 22,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
If you get an F1 student visa, you can only work very limited hours on campus. You could not just come to the USA on an F1, then work full time.
You are right, but for example if I get sponsorship from a company and issued H1B1. Can I quite the campus for H1B1? What I can do in this case?

Last edited by swarnaravi; 04-27-2012 at 03:22 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 05:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
You posted an almost identical question on the work and employment forum and received some advice:

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...d-job-plz.html

As far as the limitations of specific visas, your best source of information is the official USCIS website and you can find a link to that in the first "sticky" on this forum page. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:29 AM

228 posts, read 664,933 times
Keep in mind too that the Boston area has a ton of grads for econ/finance who have either gone to some of the best universities in the world located there or have gotten excellent internships/work experience while going to school or are well-connected (or all three). Competition will be extremely stiff, especially for someone coming in with unknown degrees and work experience.

Why not just take the full tuition waiver and do things the right way? Get the good degree from a US school and then leverage that to make more money than you probably would as an H1-B, with more work security, and possibly be on the road to a GC? At least the tuition free ride is a guaranteed 2 years to get set up in the US, learn about how the system works, and get some good experience that will pay better down the road. Why the huge rush to "make as much as you can"?

Old 04-28-2012, 02:15 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
After MS, you will get OPT period of upto 29 months. You can apply for H-1B visa if any employer is willing to sponsor you. While doing MS, it is not easy as you are on F-1 visa. you are asking about status change while studying through some desi company???. strong possibility of such petitions being denied nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration