Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:54 PM

5 posts, read 32,019 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just finished my Masters and my opt is gonna start from June' 12. I got married in Dec'11 in India and now my wife is planning to come here in a couple of months. After having gone through some online threads i realized that the rejection rate for F2 if spouse is on OPT is quite high. So i wanna know will it be better to apply for a B2 visa instead of F2 or should i give F2 a try.. Please help .. i really wanna what would maximize her chances of getting a visa..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 04:58 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
You should have taken F2 visa before your graduation. Now after your graduation, it is difficult for international student office of your university to issue new I-20 for your OPT for your wife.rejection rate is high for both B2 in this case as well as F2 visa on OPT. what are you going to do in OPT? joining desi consultancy??are you filing for H-1 visa? wait till you get H-1B visa and then call wife on H-4 visa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish666 View Post
Hi, I just finished my Masters and my opt is gonna start from June' 12. I got married in Dec'11 in India and now my wife is planning to come here in a couple of months. After having gone through some online threads i realized that the rejection rate for F2 if spouse is on OPT is quite high. So i wanna know will it be better to apply for a B2 visa instead of F2 or should i give F2 a try.. Please help .. i really wanna what would maximize her chances of getting a visa..

Old 05-22-2012, 04:15 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,731 times
How long is your OPT?
On a B (tourist) visa she could stay a max of 6 months.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
You should have taken F2 visa before your graduation. Now after your graduation, it is difficult for international student office of your university to issue new I-20 for your OPT for your wife.rejection rate is high for both B2 in this case as well as F2 visa on OPT. what are you going to do in OPT? joining desi consultancy??are you filing for H-1 visa? wait till you get H-1B visa and then call wife on H-4 visa.
Yes, i understand that, but due to some issues she didn't have her passport ready at the time. As far as H1 is concerned i m not too sure if its possible to get it this year itself, will need to talk to my consultant regarding that. The reason i was thinking of B2 is that she has a job back home, moreover we got married in Dec last year and she is applying now, almost 6 months afterwards... do you think these could help in showing non immigration intent..??

Old 05-22-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
How long is your OPT?
On a B (tourist) visa she could stay a max of 6 months.
My OPT starts next month, so it ll be atleast for 12 months, and then the extension. Yes i am aware of the allowed duration on B2, however something is better than nothing. If they dont give her an F2 even after repeated attempts she wont even get a B2 after that. In that case i ll have to wait for another 1.5 yrs till i get an H1 to get her here.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:36 PM

If you take B2 visa, then your wife can stay in USA only for 6 months. what will you do after that? if you are thinking that you can change the category to H-1 thru some consultancy, it will be very difficult. that will be a sure case of rejection of visa stamping in future. if you think your wife will return in 6 months, then you can try B2 visa. otherwise wait for H4 after you get H-1B visa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish666 View Post
Yes, i understand that, but due to some issues she didn't have her passport ready at the time. As far as H1 is concerned i m not too sure if its possible to get it this year itself, will need to talk to my consultant regarding that. The reason i was thinking of B2 is that she has a job back home, moreover we got married in Dec last year and she is applying now, almost 6 months afterwards... do you think these could help in showing non immigration intent..??

Old 05-23-2012, 01:24 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,199 times
If you are okay with your wife only staying here for six months getting a B visa would probably be the easier way to go. If she applies for an F2 visa and is denied it can impair her ability to get a B2 visa too. It is definitely generally easier to get a visitors visa than any other visa. I would recommend that your wife gather as much evidence as she can about her ties to India, such as a job, apartment lease, etc., and evidence on how she will support herself in the US to show that she won't work in the US.

I would stay on the safe side and get the visitors visa if I were you. At least you don't have to be apart for a whole year or longer.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:53 PM

For people from india and other high immigrant countries, B2 visa is difficult to get but F2 or H4 is easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
If you are okay with your wife only staying here for six months getting a B visa would probably be the easier way to go. If she applies for an F2 visa and is denied it can impair her ability to get a B2 visa too. It is definitely generally easier to get a visitors visa than any other visa. I would recommend that your wife gather as much evidence as she can about her ties to India, such as a job, apartment lease, etc., and evidence on how she will support herself in the US to show that she won't work in the US.

I would stay on the safe side and get the visitors visa if I were you. At least you don't have to be apart for a whole year or longer.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 PM

Thanks a lot munna21977 and lizita for your inputs. I checked the H1 quota and chances are really slim this year. So i ll have to go for either F2 or B2...I ll most probably go for F2. Let me just give it a try a couple of time and see what happens, if not i ll try for B2. Cant do anything more than that.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 7,194 times
Hi Vish...which visa did you apply for your wife? Did she get approval? Please share your experience...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration