Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:29 AM

27 posts, read 58,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Yes, but if you just go to activate your visa for the day, then definitely come back within 6 months to the USA and stay for good/ along time.
Is this for certain? I looked in my passport and it says IV category F11.

Upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year.

Are there any numbers that I can call to confirm? I have been searching and speaking with the USCIS but it seems to be a lottery as to whether I get a knowledgeable person
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 11:11 AM

24,466 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
Is this for certain? I looked in my passport and it says IV category F11.

Upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year.

Are there any numbers that I can call to confirm? I have been searching and speaking with the USCIS but it seems to be a lottery as to whether I get a knowledgeable person

It seems like you change your information - are you on F1 or did your mother sponsor your Green Card? Either you are a student required to take a certain course block or you have to move your center of life to the US. Which one is it?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:12 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,403 times
I don't know what F11 is, but your second line confirms what I said: "Upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year." The endorsment is the stamp you get on your visa when you enter the USA.

USCIS is not called the missinformation thing... I suppose you could call CBP at whereever you intend to cross, not sure they answer such questions though.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It seems like you change your information - are you on F1 or did your mother sponsor your Green Card? Either you are a student required to take a certain course block or you have to move your center of life to the US. Which one is it?
F11 is family first preference - unmarried son/daughter. OP apparently has not yet grasped that a Green Card comes with rights and responsibilities and is not a border hopping visa. I am not familiar with the one-year restriction.

Again and this time pre-digested USCIS - After a Green Card is Granted

Here you go Penguin
§ Sec. 42.11 Classification symbols.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I am not familiar with the one-year restriction.
It's not really a restriction. It's just that the "temp greencard" via stamp in the passport only is valid for a year, after that the physical greencard must be used.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
It's not really a restriction. It's just that the "temp greencard" via stamp in the passport only is valid for a year, after that the physical greencard must be used.
Thank you!

Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
If you went to all that trouble to become a permanent resident in the USA and now you have appropriate visa and green card to make the transition and the only criteria is to make the move to the USA by August i just dont see why you would now play games with the process as you got the green light..GO, all those fat American jobs are just waiting for you..

Old 08-09-2012, 08:17 AM

27 posts, read 58,058 times
According to the borders, this new visa glued into the passport enables me to leave and enter the US as desired. I could have just gone to the border, gotten it stamped, maybe spent the day in Buffalo or something and come back until my physical green card and social security number had been processed.

Oh well, better safe than sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration