Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:43 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
I call BS on this. Unemployment rates in IT for example:

0.9% - Computer and information research scientists
1.7% - Network and computer systems administrators
2.2% - Computer and information systems managers
2.3% - Software developers, applications and systems software
3.1% - Database administrators
3.8% - Computer systems analysts

Less than half national average.
Give me a networker with 10 years in the field, one year teaching in prorietary, Masters and Comptia who is open to 55k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 AM

983 posts, read 1,633,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Source?

Speaking as someone who has worked in I.T. for fifteen years, I call B.S. on your B.S. call. I've worked with a lot of H1-Bs in my time and I have to honestly say that I'd rather we hire some random unemployed clerk and train them. You'd probably get a better result. I am far from impressed by the quality of work performed by allegedly "superior" Indian I.T. grads. You don't need a degree in I.T. to do any of those jobs except maybe systems analysis and research science, which are more theoretical than the others. You can learn the necessary skills in certification courses.
Is that a tacit acknowledgement that you don't see enough technology workers?

Who said they were "superior"? National Interest Waivers are a tiny fraction of the immigration cases in question. The rest just have to qualify for sponsorship (position requires masters they have or requires 5+ years of experience for EB-2, the appropriate college degree for EB-3).

Anyone is free to recruit their IT at Dairy Queen... I suppose there are reasons it isn't happening. And I'm pretty sure a Dairy Queen clerk would happily accept 55k, so cost is not the reason...

Old 11-05-2012, 10:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Is that a tacit acknowledgement that you don't see enough technology workers?

Who said they were "superior"? National Interest Waivers are a tiny fraction of the immigration cases in question. The rest just have to qualify for sponsorship (position requires masters they have or requires 5+ years of experience for EB-2, the appropriate college degree for EB-3).

Anyone is free to recruit their IT at Dairy Queen... I suppose there are reasons it isn't happening. And I'm pretty sure a Dairy Queen clerk would happily accept 55k, so cost is not the reason...
I don't think you understood me.

The quality of Indian I.T. workers is abysmal...to the point where you probably could hire a register jockey from Dairy Queen, train them, and get a better worker.

I acknowledge that I.T. is overflowing with Indians, but that doesn't mean that we don't have enough homegrown talent to fill those jobs. It means employers want to keep wages down. I don't think they're superior, but us native-born I.T. workers hear it often enough (often from the Indians themselves) that we know that someone must think they're better than we are. I sure as hell don't.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:33 AM

983 posts, read 1,633,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't think you understood me.

The quality of Indian I.T. workers is abysmal...to the point where you probably could hire a register jockey from Dairy Queen, train them, and get a better worker.

I acknowledge that I.T. is overflowing with Indians, but that doesn't mean that we don't have enough homegrown talent to fill those jobs. It means employers want to keep wages down. I don't think they're superior, but us native-born I.T. workers hear it often enough (often from the Indians themselves) that we know that someone must think they're better than we are. I sure as hell don't.
Point taken. Have to agree that there are plenty of folks whose work quality is abysmal, especially those working for outsourcing firms that don't have any actual knowledge of anything, but just serve as a proxy to get workers for the cheap.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Point taken. Have to agree that there are plenty of folks whose work quality is abysmal, especially those working for outsourcing firms that don't have any actual knowledge of anything, but just serve as a proxy to get workers for the cheap.
*nod* Infosys and TCS are the worst I've seen, but we have a lot of home-grown idiots too. We sure don't need to import idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration