Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:56 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times

Advertisements

This has got to be the worst news I've heard in a long time.
Now I will get my E-B3 Green card (RN job offer 2007,petition approved Jan 2008)before my husband even if his petition for E-B2 is approved within the next few weeks.

The system stinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
This has got to be the worst news I've heard in a long time.
Now I will get my E-B3 Green card (RN job offer 2007,petition approved Jan 2008)before my husband even if his petition for E-B2 is approved within the next few weeks.

The system stinks.
I expect the category to go back to current once the new fiscal year starts (and therefore visa numbers become available).

I agree that the system is basically garbage and should be reformed.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
I expect the category to go back to current once the new fiscal year starts (and therefore visa numbers become available).

I agree that the system is basically garbage and should be reformed.
Please could you tell me what you're basing that on?
When E-B3 retrogressed in 2008 it was initially a year wait or so and then it quickly increased to 7 years over the next few months.
How do they calculate the retrogression time period?
We are in the US and my husbands H-1B is good till 2015, but I haven't worked since Nov 2009 when I came here. Have been applying for RN jobs that would qualify for a H-1B (ie BSN required) but they are few and far between.
Financially,we cannot stay here for another 18 months living on one salary, and my career and sanity won't take it.
I've started looking at jobs outside NC/SC-even if it meant living away from my husband and son.At e least it would give me some experience here in the USA even if only for 6 months.
When I saw the buletin yesterday I couldn't believe it. Husbands GC application is at labor market test stage so waiting to see who applies.
Our son will be a High school senior next year so we can't leave the US before then anyway.
At least the housing market is improving slightly and with the exchange rate the way it is we should break even if we had to sell up and return to England.
Half heartedly considering Canada, but it seems more expensive, I hate the cold and not sure what the salary for RNs is like.Need to do some research.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Please could you tell me what you're basing that on?
Demand (prior to Jan 1 2012):

china: 4,000
india: 17,500
rest of the world: 250

Unless your husband is Chinese or Indian, EB-2 will be current come FY '13

Old 06-30-2012, 10:55 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
there are people from India EB-3 category waiting since September 2002. The way things are going, even break-even for H-1B visa holders is difficult.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
there are people from India EB-3 category waiting since September 2002. The way things are going, even break-even for H-1B visa holders is difficult.
Yes. The system is ridiculous to be honest. But with the current unemployment numbers we aren't likely to see any increase in the number of GCs given per year. A bit dumb, because I'm sure that unemployment in technology, healthcare, engineering and finance -sectors that dominate the EB3 and EB3 petitions- must be very low. Your regular high school diploma unemployed folk is not likely to get one of those jobs that are high in demand. A shame, but everything about immigration here is a political matter, instead of a matter of public policy.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:20 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
The basic idea behind H-1B was to keep salary low by importing foreign labor. Once people leave after waiting frustratingly for Green Card, new H-1Bs are coming to keep the salary level low. So this suits the policy makers. US govt. has no incentive to expedite the Green Card process especially now when unemployment is high and immigration is a politically sensitive issue. Corporations have more benefit in having an H-1B employee tied to the company rather then Green Card employee who will leave readily for higher pay package. Profit from cheap foreign labor is one of the pillars on which this great country was built whether it was slaves working on plantations or illegal mexicans working on farms/constructions or walmart factories in China or callcenters in India or H-1B visa holders in USA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Yes. The system is ridiculous to be honest. But with the current unemployment numbers we aren't likely to see any increase in the number of GCs given per year. A bit dumb, because I'm sure that unemployment in technology, healthcare, engineering and finance -sectors that dominate the EB3 and EB3 petitions- must be very low. Your regular high school diploma unemployed folk is not likely to get one of those jobs that are high in demand. A shame, but everything about immigration here is a political matter, instead of a matter of public policy.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:09 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
The basic idea behind H-1B was to keep salary low by importing foreign labor. Once people leave after waiting frustratingly for Green Card, new H-1Bs are coming to keep the salary level low. So this suits the policy makers. US govt. has no incentive to expedite the Green Card process especially now when unemployment is high and immigration is a politically sensitive issue. Corporations have more benefit in having an H-1B employee tied to the company rather then Green Card employee who will leave readily for higher pay package. Profit from cheap foreign labor is one of the pillars on which this great country was built whether it was slaves working on plantations or illegal mexicans working on farms/constructions or walmart factories in China or callcenters in India or H-1B visa holders in USA.
FYI - today is a full moon.
I have yet to see a "cheap" H1B expat contract.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
FYI - today is a full moon.
I have yet to see a "cheap" H1B expat contract.
FYI-not everyone on H-1B is earning $$$$$.
There are many I'm sure who come fresh out of grad school with little experience.I guess many work in IS.
For many of these people the whole aim in life has been to get out of their own country.That also applies to some foreign trained nurses who come here, especially the Filipinos (who BTW are no longer able to register as nurses in California -the place many head for, due to changes in the training program requirements by Cal BON.)
Other people decide they want to come to the US and apply for jobs. Many research jobs (unless pure science for Pharma companies etc) despite requiring a Masters etc pay less than $60,000. I would be earning more as a RN than my husband is, despite his corporate insurance/finance BA/ business background, IS and research skills/exp and MSN in Health research.

For the most part I believe that those on H-1Bs get whatever the going rate is for the job.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:04 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
FYI-not everyone on H-1B is earning $$$$$.
There are many I'm sure who come fresh out of grad school with little experience.I guess many work in IS.
For many of these people the whole aim in life has been to get out of their own country.That also applies to some foreign trained nurses who come here, especially the Filipinos (who BTW are no longer able to register as nurses in California -the place many head for, due to changes in the training program requirements by Cal BON.)
Other people decide they want to come to the US and apply for jobs. Many research jobs (unless pure science for Pharma companies etc) despite requiring a Masters etc pay less than $60,000. I would be earning more as a RN than my husband is, despite his corporate insurance/finance BA/ business background, IS and research skills/exp and MSN in Health research.

For the most part I believe that those on H-1Bs get whatever the going rate is for the job.
What is "IS"? thank you.

The special visa for foreign nurses has not been in place for a while.

I deal with contracts on a regular basis so I have access to not only first-hand information but also the negotiatons leading to the final version. Yes, there are H1B after OTP in the 6-figures.

If your husband's contract is not up to par and you could earn so much more - what is the draw? I thought immigration has to improve existing conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration